Bil's 5100 and rattle/noise/rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

So at the 13:05 mark these guys drop the washer over the piston rod and then tighten the nut down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The comments under that video are full of warnings and complaints.

Sometimes when i talk to "mechanics" or "techs" i feel like im trying to teach algebra to a chicken.

It's way easier to just do it myself than it is to pay a shop to do it 3 times, then have to take it back apart myself anyway, replace, weld or remachine the parts they destroyed, and reassemble everything correctly.

I saw a competent tech, once! I was at a Ram dealer in Farmington, NM for a pinion nut recall, and they had the tech drive up from Albuquerque to do the recall.

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I took my truck back to the dealership today. Unfortunately, I didn't try to take pictures beforehand. I described the noise to the service advisor and provided him with another copy of the installation instructions. I told him that it appeared to me that there was possibly a washer under the nut, but wasn't sure. He called later in the day to tell me that the tech found the sway bar was loose and tightened it down. He also said the tech told him that the instructions were followed during installation. After picking up the truck, it sounded much better going over speed bumps. However, there were still some lesser sounds at times.

When I got home, I finally used a camera to take some pictures. Does it look to anyone else like there is a washer under that nut? I tried to clean the area around it to get the best picture I could. If it does look like a washer under there, I'm wondering if this picture would be enough evidence for the service advisor. I doubt the tech is going to admit he screwed up. I feel like I need something more conclusive. If I took it to another shop, I wonder if they have any tools/methods to provide me a definitive answer without taking it apart? I already showed the service advisor the picture of BigRed4x4's truck after the strut punched through the upper seat.

IMG_3077-1.jpg

Last edited:

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I took my truck back to the dealership today. Unfortunately, I didn't try to take pictures beforehand. I described the noise to the service advisor and provided him with another copy of the installation instructions. I told him that it appeared to me that there was possibly a washer under the nut, but wasn't sure. He called later in the day to tell me that the tech found the sway bar was loose and tightened it down. He also said the tech told him that the instructions were followed during installation. After picking up the truck, it sounded much better going over speed bumps. However, there were still some lesser sounds at times.

When I got home, I finally used a camera to take some pictures. Does it look to anyone else like there is a washer under that nut? I tried to clean the area around it to get the best picture I could. If it does look like a washer under there, I'm wondering if this picture would be enough evidence for the service advisor. I doubt the tech is going to admit he screwed up. I feel like I need something more conclusive. If I took it to another shop, I wonder if they have any tools/methods to provide me a definitive answer without taking it apart? I already showed the service advisor the picture of BigRed4x4's truck after the strut punched through the upper seat.

View attachment 158116

I see a washer under the nut.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It sure looks like theres a washer under the nut.

I can clearly see a shadow, cast by the nut. If the nut was tightened against the spring seat, there wouldnt be space for the nut to cast a shadow.

Finding a "tech" who has a firm enough grasp of mechanics to understand why the washer needs to be under the spring seat, rather than putting the washer where hes accustomed to seeing it (under the nut), may be impossible.

You should resign yourself to reading through the various threads here on the subject, buying the needed tools, and doing it yourself!

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The consensus so far is that there is a washer under the nut. Since I just forked out a good chunk of money to the dealership for front/rear installation and alignment, I'm going to push the issue as far as I can with them.

Last edited:

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sure looks like theres a washer under the nut.

I can clearly see a shadow, cast by the nut. If the nut was tightened against the spring seat, there wouldnt be space for the nut to cast a shadow.

Finding a "tech" who has a firm enough grasp of mechanics to understand why the washer needs to be under the spring seat, rather than putting the washer where hes accustomed to seeing it (under the nut), may be impossible.

You should resign yourself to reading through the various threads here on the subject, buying the needed tools, and doing it yourself!

I reached out to Bilstein and this was their response,

"Hello,

It is hard to tell what can happen however we recommend having them taken apart and reassembled correctly, chances are the piston rod is not captured correctly and will start moving through the upper mount eventually.

Thanks for your inquiry

Kind Regards,
Junior Africa
Technical & Warranty Support Expert
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc "

Is anyone able to provide a picture of what the nut looks like sitting flush against the upper seat without a washer under it?

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I tried for ya.

Mine is too full of dried mud to see anything useful.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for trying.

I hit it with compresses air, and degreaser, but i cant get the air hose in at a good enough angle to blow it out.

20190311-093801.jpg

20190311-095344.jpg

I scraped around with a peice of 1/8" tubing and tried to blow more mud out, but it didnt help much. The curcular scrape mark in the dirt makes mine look like theres a washer there too. But, there isnt.

Last edited:

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, that picture does make it look like there could be a larger washer under there. I'll see if anyone else can post some pics that I can show to the dealership. Thanks again.

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

^^^^^^^This

I took my truck back to the dealership after the service advisor told me that they were going to take one of the struts off to exam it. That led me to believe that everyone (advisor, service manager, technician) had already discussed this. About an hour later, I got a call from the service manager asking me to explain why they need to look at anything. I then went round and round with him trying to explain the need for the washer to be underneath. He told me he was going to have to call Bilstein, even after I had provided them with Bilstein's email to me. He then put a technician on the phone and I tried to explain over and over to him where the arrow on the instructions points to where the washer should be. They then sent me several videos that they took with their borescope. They aimed the camera straight down instead of at an angle and were clearly trying to prove that there was no large washer sticking out past the sides of the nut, even after I attempted several times to explain that the washer was smaller in diameter than the nut. I did get the tech to admit that the shop really didn't have any experience installing Bilstein's there.

At this point, the service manager said they would take one strut off to examine it and would charge me to reinstall it if it had been installed correctly. My confidence level was pretty low at this point, so I got a ride to the dealership with the hope of getting there in time to watch them take the one strut off. When I got there, the tech was on his lunch break. What was odd was that they were already starting to remove both sides when I thought they were only going to inspect one side. About an hour later, the service manager brought me out back to where their spring machine was. Two techs brought both struts out and took them apart to show me that the washer was under the spring seat. They didn't offer up if they had already made the correction, but they had plenty of time to do so. I was starting to wonder if I had been wrong. At least I could see that it was now correct. I ended up just paying for a new alignment which I didn't protest as I had been prepared to go somewhere else and possibly pay to have the struts reinstalled correctly.

I felt vindicated the next day when I took some new pictures showing that there was clearly a difference between the "before/after" pictures.

IMG_3077-2.jpg IMG_3090[4761].jpg IMG_3142.jpg IMG_3147.jpg

Last edited:

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^^^^^^^This

I took my truck back to the dealership after the service advisor told me that they were going to take one of the struts off to exam it. That led me to believe that everyone (advisor, service manager, technician) had already discussed this. About an hour later, I got a call from the service manager asking me to explain why they need to look at anything. I then went round and round with him trying to explain the need for the washer to be underneath. He told me he was going to have to call Bilstein, even after I had provided them with Bilstein's email to me. He then put a technician on the phone and I tried to explain over and over to him where the arrow on the instructions points to where the washer should be. They then sent me several videos that they took with their borescope. They aimed the camera straight down instead of at an angle and were clearly trying to prove that there was no large washer sticking out past the sides of the nut, even after I attempted several times to explain that the washer was smaller in diameter than the nut. I did get the tech to admit that the shop really didn't have any experience installing Bilstein's there.

At this point, the service manager said they would take one strut off to examine it and would charge me to reinstall it if it had been installed correctly. My confidence level was pretty low at this point, so I got a ride to the dealership with the hope of getting there in time to watch them take the one strut off. When I got there, the tech was on his lunch break. What was odd was that they were already starting to remove both sides when I thought they were only going to inspect one side. About an hour later, the service manager brought me out back to where their spring machine was. Two techs brought both struts out and took them apart to show me that the washer was under the spring seat. They didn't offer up if they had already made the correction, but they had plenty of time to do so. I was starting to wonder if I had been wrong. At least I could see that it was now correct. I ended up just paying for a new alignment which I didn't protest as I had been prepared to go somewhere else and possibly pay to have the struts reinstalled correctly.

I felt vindicated the next day when I took some new pictures showing that there was clearly a difference between the "before/after" pictures.

View attachment 158971 View attachment 158972 View attachment 158973 View attachment 158974

Ha!

First 2 pics are before?

And last 2 are after?

Cause, i can see the washer in the first 2.

No washer visible in the last 2.

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is correct. First two before and second two after. Although I did not get the last pictures with the same exact angle, there no longer appears to be a washer and the nut looks tightened all the way down flush with the upper seat.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That is correct. First two before and second two after. Although I did not get the last pictures with the same exact angle, there no longer appears to be a washer and the nut looks tightened all the way down flush with the upper seat.

Angle of the pic don't matter. It very, plainly, clearly, obvious. Gap in first 2, no gap in second 2.

Its correct now. Im glad they fixed it before anything got damaged.

inthe510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was a struggle, but they took care of it. They put a lot of importance on getting high marks on those surveys that Ram sends out. Honestly, I was surprised at the beginning that they would even install non-Mopar shocks that a customer brings in. They may rethink it after this ordeal. Probably not though as they happen to put a stamp on the final work order saying that they service all makes and models and obviously are trying to get any business they can.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye