Bilstein 5100 front end alignment issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leveled out the truck with 5100's set to 2.1. Dropped truck off at dealer for an alignment and while they were were able to adjust a few angles they said they were not able to adjust the camber back into spec. They said it was due to the camber adjustment bolt. They said the stock adjuster would not allow them to get it adjusted into spec. Something about this doesn't seem right. Any thoughts or suggestions? Its not that far out but its not within spec.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I did mine, set at 2.8, I put the spring plate on upside down on the right (for some reason I had to compress that spring much more than the other, lol) but anyways I got my alignment done and the left adjuster was maxed out but alligned. Noticed it and fixed it the next day and now it's all good. Did you do your install? Also I wouldn't ever goto the dealer for an alignment, especially after a mod. Firestone charges around $80 for a year of free alignments and about the same for tire balancing. The one out here has all the top grade equipment too. Look into that if you plan on modding more in the next year.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Rancho QLLs installed last summer (about the same amount of lift as Bils at 2.1), and my mechanic had no problem aligning it. He even said it was a bit off from the factory so it actually drove better after the level. Sounds fishy to me...

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I recently did my bils at 2.8 and the shop that did my alignment had no issues bringing them to perfect.

Edit: Note this was the best shop in an east bumfuck town in New Mexico that's used to aligning lifted trucks.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had Rancho QLLs installed last summer (about the same amount of lift as Bils at 2.1), and my mechanic had no problem aligning it. He even said it was a bit off from the factory so it actually drove better after the level. Sounds fishy to me...

I can definitely see that as a possibility (siding with the mechanic). By him saying "factory", may be implying that it's better than when it was brought in. There's a few things that could throw off an alignment, and/or I bet you could put any vehicle in front of these new high tech machines and find a very minor deficiency... Like 0.2 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can definitely see that as a possibility (siding with the mechanic). By him saying "factory", may be implying that it's better than when it was brought in. There's a few things that could throw off an alignment, and/or I bet you could put any vehicle in front of these new high tech machines and find a very minor deficiency... Like 0.2 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry I worded that wrong. I meant the OPs dealership sounds fishy. My mechanic is one of the best in my area...

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I never bothered to get my alignment done when I set my bils at 1.4" for the last year or so.

I recently went 4" Superlift and got an alignment. Everything was in the green except castor. It was very, very minor out of factory spec. I am giving my lift a little time to settle, then I'm going to have the alignment rechecked by Firestone (I need to anyways because I hit a pothole while turning at a decent speed and now my steering wheel is slightly off center).

Numnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leveled out the truck with 5100's set to 2.1. Dropped truck off at dealer for an alignment and while they were were able to adjust a few angles they said they were not able to adjust the camber back into spec. They said it was due to the camber adjustment bolt. They said the stock adjuster would not allow them to get it adjusted into spec. Something about this doesn't seem right. Any thoughts or suggestions? Its not that far out but its not within spec.

The dealer I bought my truck from wouldn't install the Bil's. I wanted the (a) dealer do it so it wouldn't void my warranty. I went to a different dealer to have them installed, they f'd up my alignment, I brought it back and they couldn't get it right to save their lives. When I brought my truck for service (dealer I purchased from) I asked if they could do an alignment. They got it right and it's been fine. The dealer that did the install had it so screwed up you could see that the camber was screwed, they also had my steering wheel almost a quarter turn out.

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I made an appointment with a reputable tire shop in the area for Monday morning. Even on the phone they were questioning why the dealer couldn't get it right. I have a feeling they will get it dialed in.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After installing 5100's on my truck, and setting them at 2.8", the alignment was out a good margin. Camber was about 2 degrees positive on each side, and caster was out by 1/2 degree. Everything was brought back into spec without any problem.

Did you replace the UCAs?

How many miles on your truck?

Any accidents or hard impacts on the side that wouldn't adjust into spec?

I am assuming the tech that did the alignment or your truck didn't check to see if there was a torn/warn control arm bushing.

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This isn't a common problem, but I could see how it could happen. After aligning my truck at 2.8", my driver's side camber adjuster is very near it's travel limit. So if your truck's chassis was built a little more out of spec, you wouldn't have enough range. After all, the adjusters are there because of production variation.

OP
OP
K

king99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to wrap up this story to those who are interested... I took it to another shop and they got it all dialed in. Went back to dealer for a refund and they asked of they could put it back on their rack to recheck. Wouldn't you know the dealers rack came back with a reading of everything out of spec. They refunded me but they don't believe their machine was wrong. I then went back to the shop that got it right and had them check again. It was all within spec. That machine was newer than the dealers as they just relocated and bought all new equipment. I can visually see that the tires are in a better position than they were when I left the dealer the first time so I'm sticking with the adjustments that the second shop made.