Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks verus Coil Spacer Reviewed Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
13073873685_fda1d47bda_z.jpg

13073887235_ebf4a9a598_z.jpg

So the question I have been asking myself was, am I wasting my money just changing from one level to the other, or am I even going to make it worse and have to go back to the coil spacer? So today I got my answer, and thankfully it was no. In fact the Bilstein 5100's maybe be the best upgrade I have ever done on any of my past 4x4's, and I have done total shock upgrades 4 previous times.

So the ride was similar between the ranch bumper and stock bumper with stock shocks. However, the ride became very harsh when I leveled it. I spent over an hour driving around in every condition I could, and Burla is breathing a big ol sigh of relief today my fella's.

I have ran Bilstiens before and hated them. They were the heavy duty Bil's and I had a 4 front shock setup. So bottom line the shocks had no give. These 5100's not only have proper give, but it seats that damn truck right into the road like I've never had before. Also, the coil spacer binded me up on country roads and turning. The immediate thing I felt driving away from the shop was how good it handles and feels.

So if you notice the top pick, the coil spacer puts the factory spring into the 10 inch compressed position, when you get the 5100's it immediately releases it back to the stock relaxed position of 12 inches. If you have a good eye, you can see that in the top pic each spring is less then and inch, and with the Bil's it goes up to about a perfect inch. Prior to making the changed I manually tried rocking the truck back and forth, and with the spacer it was very hard to rock back in forth. The first thing when I got my truck was do the same thing, and the truck easily rocked back and forth.

But there is more at play then just that. The spacer also puts the shock into a position where you will bottom out with any needed travel. Furthermore, if you use a coil spacer with the factory shock, then you are also using the factory shock which is nowhere near as good as just about any upgraded shock.

I am in the top position on the 5100, and it erased any rake in the truck. I knew there would be a risk of vibration, but I opted for it anyhow after talking to the shop who does these all of the time. So, my truck when it is in 4x4 and you gun it, has a little shimmy. Honestly it is so minor I fell it isn't worth mentioning, especially with the way the truck is running, but it does exist. I tried everything I could to get the shimmy in 2wd, and could not at all zero nada zelch. And like I said, only when the truck is gunned in 4x4 and only early in the power band.

If I have any recommendation in leveling a truck, it will be with out any doubt to use the leveling shocks. Yes, coil spacers work and many guys don't have problems, but ask yourself if it is the best thing for your truck when you can have this option for just a little more money, and as a bonus you are getting rid of that junky factory shock.

I really wasn't happy that I had to spend all this money to level the truck a second time, but I am absolutely ecstatic at the results. Thanks Ram Forum for the great information regarding the shocks, I literally fell in love with my truck again. There is a short cut to my home but I never take it in any of my vehicles previously, it is just a gut busting road. Well, no joke I went down this road three times today testing my shocks, and I have never seen anything like this in any truck I ever had. I will take the short cut every time now. It is not just the level, but it is the rebound and over all quality of this particular Bilstiens even when compared to their yellow shocks.

The 5100 is the proper way to level a truck, the coil spacer is not IMO.

Last edited:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
All hail 5100s!
:king:

But seriously, great write up on the shocks. Told you they would be amazing shocks and the fact that your gut busting road no longer holds any problems is just further proof that they are truly amazing.

Congrats on the new ride! :sparta:

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks my man, you were great help.

Informal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone explain (in idiot proof terms) why the adjustable 5100's won't work... or can't be produced for a 2wd?

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm pretty sure you can put them on a 2wd, and I'm telling you it is a great upgrade. So the shockware house has the same kit for 4x4 and 2wd listed.

It looks like they might have stoped past 2010 for the 2wd, don't know fir sure. But I will say they probably are just behind if that is the case, and eventually if not sooner rather then later they will have them for the 13 as well. total conjecture there, but they do have them for 2009 and 2010 2wd, was there a suspension change in the front from the 2010 and the 13? If not, I'm sure it will work, if they changed it you might have to wait a while.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is what everyone is saying, but les shuab said they were out of stock but it would be 2 days before they came in, and they indeed came in two days,

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I was about to open a thread about this asking for what you just took care of anyhow. With rumors about the effect spacers have on the upper ball joints on the Late-13's thru 14's I wanted to see people's experiences. Although your's is an earlier 4th-Gen it still applies in process.

I love this forum!

THANKS!! :headbang:

Last edited:

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just ordered a 2.5in leveling spacer and some rims and tires for my truck which will be installed on sat....but now I wanna go back and see if I can get some 5100's instead

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One other thing was how much the truck squeaked with the spacers, just even rocking it back and forth I would get squeak, and now the squeak is completely gone.

And I got an alignment after both levels, and with the coil spacer every time I took my hand off the wheel the truck wanted to rotate right. I don't know the cause so I wont even guess, but that was a fact. Now, the truck tracks straight as an arrow. And one other note about the alignment was it was necessary to do over again because when we went to the 5100's the numbers were way red.

I go shooting with a bunch of firemen on some Tuesdays and today is the day, and the range is way out on country roads. Normally I let them drive, but today no way I'm not taking my truck. Honestly, best upgrade ever. I did have regret adding the ranch bumper because of the ride quality, those days are over.

So after driving around the country all day we actually did a bit of wheeling. The dang range was closed so we went deep country just too shoot pellet guns. The guys were called back to the house because apparently there is a huge fire in SF and they are all SF fireman, say a prayer for my friends. Rescheduled for Friday at circle k shooting range if any nor cal guys feel like meeting us there. The best way to describe this level on the highest position is it is very similar to a 4 inch lift. It has generous travel and seams a little bouncy at times. It is not a stock ride, but in my opinion it drives like how a 4x4 is supposed too. Never could get it to shimmy in 2wd and oddly could not get it in 4wd low, only 4wd high which is of course the highway geared 4wd. It was simply amazing on country roads, actually so good I can barely believe it. Man you guys running spacers should really consider these. Going over speed bumps is like nothing, after getting these I can't believe spacers are so popular.

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only gripe about your post is no external pics of your truck :p.

Seriously, congrats and I hope you love the shocks as Much as I do on mine.

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ok Angel, no poser picks other then my dirty garage but you can tell there is very little to no rake. I still have some plans before I start taking posers :) Technically there still is a 1/2 inch of rake, but that is really the bumpers weight. Guys running a stock bumper would have zero rake on the highest setting.

photo back tire measured to fender

front tire measured to fender

13133154883_6d1ca66d10_z.jpg

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice... I have about the same amount of rake on my truck. Its perfect for me. Loving that bumper.

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I like the bumper too, but I have to do something about that grill. The nice thing is the way the Dodge roof line goes, because of it's aero properties and design you can hardly tell there is still 1/2 inch rake. Those flat roofed trucks in the 80's and 90's would show any rake at all, these trucks you can cheat a little and still look exact.

Jameson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad I lucked out and snagged a new pair from a member for an awesome price. Loved em on my 2011.

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7