Bilstein 5100 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a set of the adjustable bilstein 5100s for my 2014 ram 1500 and just waiting to get some time to put them in. I was going to just install the bilsteins and keep my stock uca's but couple of days ago I spoke to a guy that has the bilsteins in his truck and he told me that I absolutely have to replace my uca's or I will pop a ball joint if I want to set the bils at 2.8 he said anything over 2 inches on the 2014s needs the uca's replaced. He put the zones in his when he did it. So my question is should I buy the zone uca's or will I be fine using my stock ones?

navyjoe11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was just about to post something similar. Just dropped my truck off to 4 WHEEL PARTS this morning to have them installed for them to say oh we forgot to tell you we can't do that due to known ball joint issues WITH ANY type of leveling kit. Tried to plead my point they said it's a liability thing, but I could buy a set of icon UCAS for 740. Super pissed!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you search the issue or review the giant thread on 5100's you see he is right you should change the UCA there are cheaper versions than icon though. I just did mine last night and used the mevotech UCA's they are supposed to fix the issue and I paid 100$ for both shipped.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

navyjoe11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah all I've read is that at 2.1 almost no one has issues unless you completed max out your suspension, which I don't plan on do as I don't off-road. I probably will just end up going to 2.8 now then if I have to replace the UCAs regardless

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah all I've read is that at 2.1 almost no one has issues unless you completed max out your suspension, which I don't plan on do as I don't off-road. I probably will just end up going to 2.8 now then if I have to replace the UCAs regardless

That's what I did. It the mevotech fail I'll probably end up buying the Zone

navyjoe11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I did. It the mevotech fail I'll probably end up buying the Zone

Yeah I'll probably end up doing that with rear spacers now I suppose. Just curious to how much more the UCAs add to the install cost. Front and rear billstein was gonna be 430 and I really didn't want to spend that

ddetta88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I'll probably end up doing that with rear spacers now I suppose. Just curious to how much more the UCAs add to the install cost. Front and rear billstein was gonna be 430 and I really didn't want to spend that

I got mine on eBay new for 360$ shipped for all four 5100s and UCAs for 103$ from rockauto

navyjoe11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got mine on eBay new for 360$ shipped for all four 5100s and UCAs for 103$ from rockauto

Yeah my billstein were 360 too I think 430 was just for install asi don't really have the time or patience to do it myself.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
There is probably just as many running stock ucas with the 2.8 with out any problems.
I see it on facebook all the time and most claim to run 3" leveling kit with spacers.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost every upper control arm complaint is from a spacer not the bilsteins. I have mine at 2.8 and I know my front tires have left the ground more than once in holes and not a single popped ball joint. So I dont know but I know I am not careful with my truck off road, nor should I be if the parts are right.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
It's definitely not a bad idea to replace the uca's but like stated above there is less chance off the ball joints popping with bilsteins