Bilstein 5100s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Figured I'd tackle this install with some decent weather finally showing up. Not off to the best start. I noticed I only have one spring clip. This is after I have the first side completely apart. I just have a few questions.

All my questions are regarding the installation of the Bilsteins into the spring..

1) I guess the spring has to be compressed more to fit the higher settings compared to the stock?

2) Is it vital that I keep that black plastic housing that goes inside the springs?! It won t stay in place and keeps sliding down. I assume it s just to keep debris out..

3) I read a member recommends the washer doesn't contact the nut and sits at the top of the piston?

4) Is anyone not using a torque wrench? Should the top nut be to a certain spec before releasing the spring compressors. .

Thanks

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
**** it, just pay someone. That's what I did. Wasn't an arm and a leg.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I normally would but I m trying to be cheaper ; )

Last edited:

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) yes
2) wouldn't say it's necessarily "vital," but I would highly recommend it. Depending on where you live and type of conditions you drive in. How exactly is it sliding down? The top portion of the sleeve should seat snugly once assembled.
3) correct, the washer does NOT go directly under the nut. It goes underneath the strut mount.
4) I just gave the nut a quick shot with an impact. Very hard to get enough leverage for a torque wrench I found. It doesn't need much, so as long as the mount is seated snugly against the washer you'll be good to go.

JD0l4k48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you get a dealership to do it or someone you know?

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey thanks. Yeah, I was installing the sleeve wrong haha.

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Everything is tight except the upper ball joint nut. Keeps freely spinning. Almost done. A lot of breaks taking care of the daughter..

I'll definitely pick up a set of deep sockets for the other side and a torque wrench which I ve been needing for awhile. .

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Everything is tight except the upper ball joint nut. Keeps freely spinning. Almost done. A lot of breaks taking care of the daughter..

I'll definitely pick up a set of deep sockets for the other side and a torque wrench which I ve been needing for awhile. .
Use 2 wrenches for the balljoint, one on the nut and a 10mm i believe on the tip of the threaded shaft to hold it from turning

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab, 8 speed
Engine
5.7 ltr Hemi - 8 Speed; T1000 Diabolo - Custom Hemi Tune
1) yes
2) wouldn't say it's necessarily "vital," but I would highly recommend it. Depending on where you live and type of conditions you drive in. How exactly is it sliding down? The top portion of the sleeve should seat snugly once assembled.
3) correct, the washer does NOT go directly under the nut. It goes underneath the strut mount.
4) I just gave the nut a quick shot with an impact. Very hard to get enough leverage for a torque wrench I found. It doesn't need much, so as long as the mount is seated snugly against the washer you'll be good to go.
I agree with smoothee.
the hardest part was to compress the springs. Had mine done in just over two hours total.
now looking for some HD rear coil springs.
Any one has an idea where the best place to get those?

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So say I have this friend that just put these on his truck and put the washer on the top side under the nut. Should he take all that crap apart again just to move that washer or just ride it out. Anyone else figure this out post install and just leave it?

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you might run the risk that the rod comes thru the shock mount over time since the rod and the plate diameter are not too far off. I would change it to be save.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So say I have this friend that just put these on his truck and put the washer on the top side under the nut. Should he take all that crap apart again just to move that washer or just ride it out. Anyone else figure this out post install and just leave it?

I'd definitely fix that. It can wear it out over time and cause a clunking

OP
OP
M

Machete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. Everything seems good. But I gained no height. I only did the passenger side so far. It s identical to the drivers side. I 100% set it at 2.1. What s likey the issue here?!

Thanks

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

you might run the risk that the rod comes thru the shock mount over time since the rod and the plate diameter are not too far off. I would change it to be save.

I'd definitely fix that. It can wear it out over time and cause a clunking
Man, you guys got me second guessing the crap outta myself on this one. Anybody got a pic or schematic that shows this??

(Sorry to the OP for sidetracking, this just seemed like a logical place to post this given the conversation)

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Man, you guys got me second guessing the crap outta myself on this one. Anybody got a pic or schematic that shows this??

(Sorry to the OP for sidetracking, this just seemed like a logical place to post this given the conversation)
The ****** part is that you can't see it without pulling the strut... So if a shop did it wrong, well.. Good luck.

IMO

sriley531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ****** part is that you can't see it without pulling the strut... So if a shop did it wrong, well.. Good luck.

IMO
No shop to blame, it was me. But I really can't remember where I put that washer!

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So thought it was time for a change. After Bilstein 5100 front installed, I decided to ditch the 22"s and went with 285/65/20 on stock sport rims. Also added HD rear coil springs which gives her a bit of rake back.
f2c416a0380e3cf69fc288d63b8b8585.jpg
f32b8b6ae41ceca19a90ff3c13902994.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

pepsiracer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the look of leveled with stock rims. I bet they would look good powder coated in black too.

Nice truck! Exactly what I'm looking to do once I buy on granite sport

akra11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, ya, thinking about powder coating them. Have to find a good place who can do it around here.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk