Bilstein 5100's and Mevotechs on a 2014 CC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowvaluetarget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the 'pleasure' of installing my Bilstein's this weekend in the driveway of an apartment. While I was in there, I went ahead and replaced the upper control arms with some Mevotechs. All in all, the install went relatively smoothly.

The initial measurements were 36 1/8th" Front and 39 5/8th" Rear. I set the struts for 2.8" and went ahead and did the rears. I haven't taken after measurements yet, but I love the look. Based on the images I think the rear came up a hair as well.

My truck was originally a Michigan truck (I'm in Texas). The bolts were more rusty than I cared for (especially the strut top plate nut). The truck had 36k when I installed them.

After getting the front driver's side apart, I dicked with the strut for over 2 hours and ended up stripping the 8mm square head (used to counter) on the top of the strut. I ended up taking the strut to a local shop which was able to get everything apart nicely. While they were working on the first strut, I ran home and disassembled the passengers side and had them swap that for me as well. $50 combined.

Reassembling the front end, I was lightly wrenchign down the sway bar link and without much pressure at all, the link bar threads snapped off, nut and all. $100 for parts at the stealership.

Everything else went smoothly and took me about 8 hours with all the extra work and shop travel.

Here are a few things I wish I knew going in.
  • Absolutely get an air or electric impact wrench if at all possible. It saved my ass.
  • You'll need 2 x 24mm deep sockets for the rear shocks.
  • The rear shocks top bolt is tucked TIGHTLY away near bed crossmembers and other verious **** to get in your way. I ended up using a 1/2" socket and a 24mm deep socket snaked up there to counter.
  • If you're going to do the strut spring replacement by yourself, an offset wrench is nice (i had it), but a passthrough socket set would be ideal.

My truck came out to look perfectly level to me, possibly a slight rake. I plan to put in some TTC springs in the rear for when I pull the boat.

Thanks for all the help in the threads. It definitely made it easier to get this done.

Tires are 275/60/20 BFG KO2's

Attachments

• bilstein_5100.jpg
    bilstein_5100.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nice write up.. do you think the front will settle down a little?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Excellent Write-up and teh truck does look great.
YOu will love teh new springs, once you get them.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure why people don't take(or loosen) the rear fender wells...makes thing so much easier.

edit...I'll be installing this setup on my truck in a few weeks. I also bought a 1" spacer. I don't want a level look as anytime you nail it the ass will sit lower and look stupid IMO. Just need to buy a grease gun.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
IMPACT.. IMPACT!! I literally took the impact to everything to loosen and tighten, even the top nut on the top of the struts instead of dealing with the allen key and pass through socket. It was a life saver

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam