Bilstein install intermission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I started the 5100/mevotech install today. 5 hours in and I'm only half way done. Gonna tackle the passenger side tomorrow.

I spent two hours just trying to get the damn upper strut nut off the driver side. It was so badly rusted that it just fell apart. Thank god for the impact gun. Even with that, it took forever. Aside from that, no issues thus far.

Anyone have tips for how to tighten the upper strut nut on the Bilsteins? The nut sits below the rubber strut mount and requires the use of an Allen wrench as a counter for the nut. So I couldn't use a socket. I had to use vise grips and an Allen wrench. It seemed tight but I couldn't really torque on it.

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used an impact, which worked for the first 75% of the bolt. But the nut got stuck on the last few threads of the bolt and then the entire assembly just spun. I had to use an 8 mm socket to counter the bolt so it wouldn't spin.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Not a big fan of cheap tools but that set is destined for my box.
Sometimes, damn handy beats out damn good.

Good Find and thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a big fan of cheap tools but that set is destined for my box.
Sometimes, damn handy beats out damn good.

Good Find and thanks for sharing it.

I bought them specifically to swap front shocks. Anytime I need a tool that I will hardly use, Harbor Freight gets my business. This set of sockets and the wrench are actually pretty damn nice to be honest.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Took me about 7 hrs to do the bils/mevo install. However my issues came from getting the shock assemblies out and putting the bils in.

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not a good idea to use an impact to put the nut on the new shock. It can damage the internal components of the shock.

I use a deep socket and turn it with a large pair of vice grip pliers, while holding the shock shaft with an Allen wrench.

The best penetrating oil for rusty bolts is a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone.

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got it off finally with a torch, vise grips on the stock and a better impact gun.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took me about 2.5 hours by myself. The key is a good impact. I used a 3/8ths dewalt and I got the top nut off in about 2 seconds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk