Bilstein install venting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SgtK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had to rant somewhere where others have experienced my pain. I am working on installing bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around the truck. Rears went ok after I got a proper sized stubby wrench. Passenger front went reasonably well with the exception of having to cut the nut off the old shock rod. On to the driver front- Everything is coming apart nicely until the lower shock mount. Got the nut off the bolt after some serious torquing. The bolt is however stuck into the control arm bushing! So I gave up last night and would go outside and soak it in pb blaster every hour or so. Will continue my saga tonight. Hopefully with a bolt coming nicely out of the LCA! :superhack:

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you put a little pressure from a floor jack underneath and put an impact gun on it, it should come right out. I used a drift pin on the thread side of mine until it wouldn't go any further, then backed it out with an impact.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Be careful with an impact on the bolt, if it is seized badly enough it might trash the bushing. That being said, it will probably be fine, just something to be conscious of.

OP
OP
S

SgtK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No luck with the hammer. I only have a cheap electric impact to work with. I was hammering away and the bushing was just coming out of the LCA. I cut the forks off the shock and pushed the bushing with bolt still siezed out of the LCA. No off to the parts store tommorow for a new bushing and bolt.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had that same problem, took nearly 2 hours to get my driver's side out on my 2010. Does yours run in or out at all with the impact.

I had to run the bolt out, spray with PB blast, run it in, spray with PB blast, run it out, spray with PB blast. Did this for nearly 30 minutes until it finally worked it's way out.

EDIT: The reason the impact would run mine out is because the bushing gave just enough that the impact wasn't breaking anything loose. The bushing was just flexing with each impact. So running the bolt in and out a lot gave me a little more each time I did it.