Bilstein Level - Control Arm Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be installing new tires and a bilstein level sometime this year, so I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before I do. I've read a lot on here about the installs and how everyone recommends replacing the UCA with Zone being the obvious favorite. However, I'm curious as to what actually fails, the control arm or the ball joint, or both? Seems that the main issue would be the ball joint popping out, which I would think could be fixed by replacing with a better joint, but is there something structurally deficient with the control arm itself when leveling past a certain point? Just trying to understand why everyone recommends a heavier duty control arm vs just installing a better ball joint.

929rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock set up uses a ball joint that is pressed in to the control arm which in some cases can fail. The higher quality control arms use ball joints that are bolted in place and are less prone to failure. You can't replace the joints in the stock set up without replacing the whole assembly. FWIW I have aprox 9000 miles on my truck since I did the bilsteins, body lift and 35's and have had no problems with the ball joints popping out.

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I think after market CA's are beefier and give better angles than stock. Other than that, I have a 2.5- 3" leveling kit on stock CA's so far so good. Bought the truck last year like this, don't know how long it's been with the leveling kit.

11BPSMIKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They aren't necessary with just bilsteins in the front, I have 3.5 years on them and friends trucks with no issue at 2.8

OP
OP
jcarden10

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What if I add a spacer in the back? I'll be setting the shocks at 2.8 and want to keep about half inch of rake, so I imagine I'll need a small spacer to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock control arms and probably all other stock replacements have the ball joints pressed with nothing else retaining them. Zone and I'm sure the more expensive ones have snap rings to hold them in, plus they angle the ball joints to account for the increased angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
New UCA's aren't required with Bilsteins as they don't allow the suspension to overextend like spacer type leveling kits do. It's the overextension of the front suspension that causes the ball joint to pop out of the stock UCA. You can still use aftermarket UCA's with Bilsteins as insurance.

So as the guys above mentioned, the problem isn't with just the ball joint itself. It's a combination of the ball joint and the UCA design.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn