Bilstein level, but now twitchy steering & wandering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So did you ever figure your truck out and get the twitch out of the steering. ?
Mine is twichty at hwy speeds and was with the stock tires and still with my 35s.
i have had my front end aligned twice after I leveled it and both times I was told is was dead on.
I too am in the same boat. I put the Maxtrac 2.5" lift coils and new shocks on my '18 sport. went to get the alignment and new tires put on the next day. After, I noticed my truck one day will pull to the left somewhat hard, the next day it may pull to the right somewhat hard and the next day it may track straight. I took it back and the tech did say something was a bit off because he didn't know I put a leveling kit on it the first time. he adjusted it again and said it's all within spec. The truck still does the same thing. IDK if it's the tires just grabbing better or what but there are definitely some points that if I let go of the wheel, i'll definitely run off the road. So if you guys have any suggestions, please let me know.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am confused on a couple statements you made....
The caster cannot be adjusted on our trucks.
The alignment was done but you can tell its off.

I think you need to get it aligned again. All things are pointing to the alignment not being in spec. Especially if you're sure everything has been installed correctly. And you even said you can tell the alignment is off!
Also, I am not positive, but I think there is some adjustment in the caster angle of these trucks.

Caster , Camber and Toe can all be adjusted on any Gen 4 1500 4x4 I have ever seen

Reactions: JB1

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
someone mentioned it could be a problem with the tires if the alignment is showing everything is in spec? Any thoughts on that?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen swapping front tires get rid of a pull for myself

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just fronts, left goes to right and right goes to left front only
I did this today. I noticed two things. First, both of the front tires on the inside edge of the tire, it does not appear to be making contact with the road. It's more black as opposed to the rest of the tread where it has that chalky appearance from making contact with the road. Second, I noticed both of the tired when I had them off the truck almost wanted to fall over instead of standing straight up. They would both lean. I'm pretty sure that's not normal either?? What do yall think?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like alignment is off. Sounds like two much toe in which will make it twitchy . Your alignment shop said they didnt know it was leveled . It should not of made a difference in aligning it as it is the same specs as stock in most cases. Its just a little more time consuming as it " WILL " need caster, camber and toe in all adjusted . Too many shops now days think setting toe alone is an alignment its not its a combination of all three . They use the fact you lifted it as an excuse to charge more and it shouldn't be. I think after hearing his excuse I would go to a different shop

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like alignment is off. Sounds like two much toe in which will make it twitchy . Your alignment shop said they didnt know it was leveled . It should not of made a difference in aligning it as it is the same specs as stock in most cases. Its just a little more time consuming as it " WILL " need caster, camber and toe in all adjusted . Too many shops now days think setting toe alone is an alignment its not its a combination of all three . They use the fact you lifted it as an excuse to charge more and it shouldn't be. I think after hearing his excuse I would go to a different shop
well, to give credit to the shop - they didn't charge me the second time they aligned it and I doubt they will charge me if I bring it back to them again tomorrow. But, it's just frustrating knowing something is wrong and they say that it's all good. I may try a different shop.

Any thoughts on the wheels wanting to fall over when they're off the truck? If that kind of normal or should they stand straight up?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where ever you go ask for a print out . Shouldn't have to ask but in your case be certain to leave with one. Tell them before they start you want one. Thats proof of what they did . It will show you what was , what it is and what the factory specs are so any one can read them and see if they did their job in most cases.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn