Bilstein noob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fedup

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 2013 ram 1500 crew.... the struts at least are completed shot. I can't believe how much money I spent on this truck and in a few years the struts are done?

Anyway I'd like to get the bilstein 5100 kit front and rear. I need to know what to get or to know before I buy.

I have stock size wheels and tires.

I'd like to get a little more clearance on this truck too. Nothing crazy, even a inch or 2 would be good.

Do they sell a kit with new spings already on the shocks?

Do I need replace sway bar or anything else that might have gotten damaged due to the struts not working correctly for a few months?

Thanks for any and all help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
When i had my 2013 1500 i also had a front shock stark leaking at only around 35,000 miles i believe. Strange. Replaced it under warranty. Was pretty much the only thing that ever went wrong with that truck though.

Later i did Bilsteins all around. All you need is the shocks. You can choose between a few levels of height. Most people do 2.8 which is the highest. The only other thing you might want to consider upgrading is the upper control arms.

The truck definitely had a better ride with the Bilsteins.

OP
OP
F

fedup

Reaction score
Thanks!
So which bilstein kit number are we talking about?
I have read thhe 2.8 is a stiff/hard ride? I'm definitely looking for more of smooth/comfort then anything else.

2.8 to 2.1 .... is there another option that's non adjustable?

reggie16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess i'm going to add to this....coming from a Kia Forte to a stock 2017 4x4 Ram. Do i need to do the bilsteins in the front or front and rear?

OP
OP
F

fedup

Reaction score
I guess i'm going to add to this....coming from a Kia Forte to a stock 2017 4x4 Ram. Do i need to do the bilsteins in the front or front and rear?
Fronts are the best improvement but all 4 is best. From what I read people who have done just fronts regret not doing all .

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 2.8 struts and rear shocks and it’s basically like the stock struts, so really no change in ride, but it’s a good ride for the springs being compressed the way they are. There also isn’t any harshness over train tracks or bumps. The Bilsteins seem to absorb impact well.

OP
OP
F

fedup

Reaction score
Are there different kits or is the only kit I should get the one I posted above??
And are there any options within the kit or other parts I need to buy before install??

Thanks for any help answering

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there different kits or is the only kit I should get the one I posted above??
And are there any options within the kit or other parts I need to buy before install??

Thanks for any help answering

If you set them at 2.1 then the struts/shocks are all you need, if you set them at 2.8 you'll more than likely need to add a rear spacer. Just depends on the size tires your planning on

OP
OP
F

fedup

Reaction score
If you set them at 2.1 then the struts/shocks are all you need, if you set them at 2.8 you'll more than likely need to add a rear spacer. Just depends on the size tires your planning on
Thank you!
I am keeping stock size.

Which is a smoother ride 2.1 or 2.8?
2.1 probably.

Is this job a pain to do ?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
F

fedup

Reaction score
Kinda pricey for me right now but thanks. And especially since I'm not even off roading at all with this truck. Now that I think about it I have $2000+ shocks on my quad though :)
JB1 , thanks again for all the help with the bilstein kit! I'm going to order them this week!

OP
OP
F

fedup

Reaction score
What about the top hats and any other parts that I have to reuse off my 2013. Will they be rusted on and shot? The guy in the video was working on a brand new truck it looks like.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam