Bilstein shock install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Hey guys I just ordered my adjustable 5100s. I was wondering if there is a write up anywhere on how to install these. I tried to search, but I did not come up with anything. Any help would be great.

Rob

omega88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's more than likely instructions in the box. But you'll deffinetly need a spring compressor. And an alignment afterwards. It's easy if your a little mechanically inclined

OP
OP
S

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Im definitely mechanically inclined enough to do the job. I just find that instructions make it easier and faster to do the job. I was able to replace my adjustable rocker arms on my Dakota by my self with just a little research. I am aware of needing an alignment.

On another note. I also plan on getting 35" tires, however I will not have a chance to get them until a week or two after i install the shocks. Will it hurt anything to post pone the alignment until after I put tires on or shall I wait?

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
If it's only a week, you'll be fine with holding off on the alignment, but I wouldn't wait much past that. Then again if you're selling the tires I guess it doesn't much matter.

As far as instructions, I want to say there were some in the box.

OP
OP
S

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Cool thanks. I will wait to see whats in the box before I continue my search for instructions.

Code106

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the 5100's on my truck about a month ago and it was a pain in the ass, but well worth in ride quality when its done. Hopefully it should be the same for 4th gens. First of all you will need a good set of sping compressors. I got mine from Napa for $40. Just don't buy cheap ones from ebay or something. You don't want the compressors breaking and risk killing your self. there is a lot of stored energy in the springs once compressed. The Napa ones worked well for me. Once you have them compressed the biggest pain now lies with how to stop the shaft of the strut from spinning so you can take the nut off on the top. I used as many vice grips as i could find. Clamp them on to the shaft of the strut and let them wedge themselves against the spring compressors. this will hopefully help to stop the strut from turning, if not ill explain later. (also clamp another two vice grips at the bottom of the spring next to the spring compressors - one on each side. this will stop the spring compressor from potential moving.) (better safe than sorry) I wound up using a total of 6 vice grips (had to borrow some from my dad too.) then you can take the top nut off. You will deffinately need and air wrench for this as it will be very rusted on. one of mine was so rusted that the shaft kept turning and i could not get the nut off and i had to cut the top of the shaft and drill out the nut so i could get it off. I also bought new top spring seats for both sides. (they were only $25 each also at NAPA) and when you are tighten things back up just remember to check your torque specs carefully. I waited about 3-4 days before i got an alignment. you want to drive it for about 150 miles first and then recheck all of your torque settings, and then take it in for alignment after that. especially if you put other new parts on. I replaced my stabalizer links and one of my hubs at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Thanks for the replays guys. I figured it would be similar to installing the spacers. I hope mine are not too rusted. My truck is only a year old. Ill make sure I have plenty of vice grips available.

AGZ951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where did you order your 5100s? I have had them on BO from a warehouse for a couple months?

AGZ

crxfisher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take some pictures during your progress and post a write-up. Hint...do one side first, then pics and write-up on the other side after you've figured it out. I know this answer doesn't help you, but it will help others here in the future.

outdoorsman80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi