Bilstein vs. Rancho on the beach.

Which is better on the beach a) Bilstein Adjustable, or b) Rancho Quicklifts

• BILSTEIN 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Rancho Quicklift Suspension Lift System

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mel5151

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep I did all 4 corners. I havent gone mudding yet, but I am only playing with the settings to see which i like best. I imagine I would ideally have settings I prefer for different activities, mudding or pavement and only need to change them on weekends. Honestly, its so easy to change, it would take seconds compared to the tome it takes to change the ride height on a Bilstein. Again, I dont need to change them all the time just refining it to how I like it based on what I plan to do for the weekend.

Besides, everyone likes a different ride even on the highway. I prefer sport suspension-like stuffness on pavement similiar to my S7. But I don't want it that stiff for trailing. Some might like a lexus-like ride everyday.

My thoughts were, ride dampening is not a one size fits all formula, while ride height is more of a deliberate decision. If your goal was constant ride height adjustability, I doubt a level kit is your real solution.

And, it was an overall better deal with the rebate. I get more fexibility, and new springs with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mel5151

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just go with the Bilsteins. They've got the racing heritage. Rancho doesn't race so they're guessing at their valving and dampening. Since you won't be saving money why not go with the better product.

I actually thought you get a better deal with the Ranchos if you go with all 4 on both considering the rebate and taht you get springs with it. I see your point on racing heritage, but that's why you get adjustable dampening so you can dial it in. If the OP's goal is to race it or desert race it, then I would look entirley elsewhere for a solution as I think a level kit is the wrong answer to that problem. Just my opinion.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually thought you get a better deal with the Ranchos if you go with all 4 on both considering the rebate and taht you get springs with it. I see your point on racing heritage, but that's why you get adjustable dampening so you can dial it in. If the OP's goal is to race it or desert race it, then I would look entirley elsewhere for a solution as I think a level kit is the wrong answer to that problem. Just my opinion.

No. Nobody is racing with a level kit. Not the point. The point is that you get that valving and dampening technology that comes from racing. It can handle the rigors of many different terrains. And you don't have to get out and change anything. You're not left guessing what is the best setting because it already handles everything.

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all of the input!! Bilsteins would be set at 2.1 (out of the different settings available) and Ranchos would be at 2.5 (I believe they are a fixed height unit).
I don't want my front bumper to drag when I air down and I don't want the kids to get sea sick when driving on the beach. LOL.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually I need to correct myself about not racing with level kits. Out here in the stock class desert racing, the Fox coil over is very popular with the Raptor guys. It takes the rake out and gives them the little heads up they need for whoop sections. Twin or tri tubes don't cut it. Got to have mono tube shocks to race.

mel5151

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fox Racing mmmmmmm

BMD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 x1 and 2014 x2
Engine
Hemi
It is freaking level kit. Not rocket science. I went with rancho due to no issues with the rancho and upper control arm ball joint. Cheaper to buy rancho than bilstein with control arm and the ride is great with the rancho. To each his own, want the best then go fox not bilstein for damn sure

mel5151

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, Fox Racing coilovers were the way to go until I saw it was 4 hundo a piece!

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're not inexpensive.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me too. You are correct.

OP
OP
jbr

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Once again thanks for all of the feedback!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963