Bilstein vs. Spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
2.1 leaves some rake, 2.8 pretty much levels it perfect. You can trim the back springs as well, as an option if you want 2.1 and a perfect level cut 1/2 inch off the back. Yes, gas mileage goes down at least 1mpg.

The factory ride is improved with bils, really will ride nice and a little firmer.

Firner meaning like crap.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the bils set to 2.1 on my 2014. I have 37.5" front and rear to the top of the fender. It is leveled. I think 2.8 would be too much for my truck and my mechanic advised against 2.8 for all the same reasons you see here.

I put Goodyear wrangler duratracs on and they measure nearly 35". They are 285/60r20. They look great and fill out the wheel well nicely.
How does a 285/60r20 measure 35"?
Your freaking factory 275/60r20's are 33" & the 275 part is the width,rolmfao.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok thanks for the help. Just narrowing my options. Do the bils keel the factory ride? I really like how nice my 2015 handles the road. Any noticeable mpg decrease with a level?

Yes the bills,if used as a lifting device will keel your ride.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Bills are junk,get spacers & struts sized appropriately.

After seeing a few of your posts around the forum it is completely obvious that you know nothing about suspension geometry, ride, or trucks in general for that matter. So say Bilsteins are junk and to go with spacers instead is simply wrong. You aren't going to find an appropriate size strut and spacer assembly to work like a Bilstein does. They don't exists. So stop making completely useless recommendations to users when you have no idea what you're talking about.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
After seeing a few of your posts around the forum it is completely obvious that you know nothing about suspension geometry, ride, or trucks in general for that matter. So say Bilsteins are junk and to go with spacers instead is simply wrong. You aren't going to find an appropriate size strut and spacer assembly to work like a Bilstein does. They don't exists. So stop making completely useless recommendations to users when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Here's a serious question for you Brandon, I have RL 2.5 assembly spacers as of now. I've asked around on here, but didn't get any real input that was saying anything other than "spacers are junk" and vise versa. My truck seems to eat ball joint's and struts, I replaced my uppers and the complete strut assembly about 6 months ago and all was good. Now I'm getting a clunk again and it was a result of the strut being blown out so would you have any input as what could be changed to keep from this result?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here's a serious question for you Brandon, I have RL 2.5 assembly spacers as of now. I've asked around on here, but didn't get any real input that was saying anything other than "spacers are junk" and vise versa. My truck seems to eat ball joint's and struts, I replaced my uppers and the complete strut assembly about 6 months ago and all was good. Now I'm getting a clunk again and it was a result of the strut being blown out so would you have any input as what could be changed to keep from this result?

Swap them for Bilsteins. That's the simple answer. A spacer on top of an OEM strut allows the front suspension to over extend which is causing your ball joint issues. They also don't allow the suspension to compress fully and bottom out on the strut rather than the bump stop which is likely why you're blowing out struts.

Check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature. There's a picture in there showing the suspension travel with Bilsteins VS leveing with spacers and the effects it has. Bilsteins keep the suspension travel within OEM specs limiting which shouldn't give any issues with ball joints or blowing out struts.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly what he said. Listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about. A spacer changes the geometry in your supension. The spring and shock assembly is simply pushed away from the factory seat by installing the spacer. This makes the shock actualy over extend the A arms on downward travel and also limits upward travel because the spring and shock is pushed away from its intended seat by the spacer so it goes unto coil bind when the shock tries to fully compress. This puts far more pressure on your supension. It's none of my business which way someone decides to lift his or her truck but I don't see why some people don't understand this. A set of two front 5100's cost about the same as some spacers and are far better in my opinion. I have 5100's on all four corners with the front set at 2.1 and the ride is awsome I highly recomend them.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed the Bilsteins myself @+2.8" $190.00.
I also painted and installed Mevotech UCA'S. $100.00

Front end alignment $65.00.

Total about $355.00 if you provide the labor .

This is a 4 out of 10 DIY imo , I'm a mechanic though.

The UCA'S are not required , I installed them for cheap insurance. $47.00 ea from Rock Auto . You could just keep an eye on yours , they don't just blow up , you'll have time to order and install if your upper ball joint starts moving up. Again imo

The bills I bought New from a member here .

The Bilsteins ride better than stock , imo

Install the bills , set to your liking and get a front end alignment & enjoy your better than stock ride .

Listen to Brandon's post above and throughout the Lifted Catagory.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi

dude I had two half axles snap and literally every front end piece replaced at least 2x due to running a 2.5 spacer kit from his on my 09...as soon as I lifted it with a suspension lift zero issues. luckily the service guy hooked me up every time with my extended warranty plan.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Swap them for Bilsteins. That's the simple answer. A spacer on top of an OEM strut allows the front suspension to over extend which is causing your ball joint issues. They also don't allow the suspension to compress fully and bottom out on the strut rather than the bump stop which is likely why you're blowing out struts.

Check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature. There's a picture in there showing the suspension travel with Bilsteins VS leveing with spacers and the effects it has. Bilsteins keep the suspension travel within OEM specs limiting which shouldn't give any issues with ball joints or blowing out struts.
Thank you for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I know my truck well enough that when I hit bumps I can feel it bottom out like you say. When I put the strut assembly in I went with Monroe quick strut and they are significantly stiffer. Before I replace struts and shocks it rode quite nice down the road, now it rides like a covered wagon in the mid-west. I was looking to do 5100's front and back and hopefully fix my ride quality but keep from destroying my suspension. I was very bias towards the bils, but now I'm having a change of heart.

Sorry to OP, didn't mean to jack your thread, but hopefully this info was beneficial for you as well.

Plaird2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exactly what he said. Listen to this guy he knows what he's talking about. A spacer changes the geometry in your supension. The spring and shock assembly is simply pushed away from the factory seat by installing the spacer. This makes the shock actualy over extend the A arms on downward travel and also limits upward travel because the spring and shock is pushed away from its intended seat by the spacer so it goes unto coil bind when the shock tries to fully compress. This puts far more pressure on your supension. It's none of my business which way someone decides to lift his or her truck but I don't see why some people don't understand this. A set of two front 5100's cost about the same as some spacers and are far better in my opinion. I have 5100's on all four corners with the front set at 2.1 and the ride is awsome I highly recomend them.

The back and the front 5100s are different right because everywhere I see the each piece is sold separately and it seems the bilstein back struts are more expensive I am looking to purchase and level out my truck but also raise it in total two inches do you think this will do the job ?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the 2.8 as high as it goes ?

Yes 2.8" is the highest setting.

The back and the front 5100s are different right because everywhere I see the each piece is sold separately and it seems the bilstein back struts are more expensive I am looking to purchase and level out my truck but also raise it in total two inches do you think this will do the job ?

Your truck doesn't have struts on the back. So no, you can't lift the back end 2" with Bilsteins. On the back you simply can replace the shocks with Bilsteins but you won't gain any height from that. Only a lift spring or coil spacer will give you increase height on the back end.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't have struts on front either[emoji6].
Old argument but they are coil over shocks, but more and more common to call them struts.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3000 miles now on my bills @2.8"
No issues , lots of offroading , lots of 4x4 usage, I set my trip meter "B" when I installed them I rolled over 3k earlier today and my avg mpg since the install is 19.8 ( EVIC #s ) this is basically the same mpgs as before raising the front + 2.8 ", so for anyone who was wondering or cares this has no effect on your gas mileage . And they still ride better than the stock shock set up right off the dealers lot !

My vehicle = 2014 Ram 4x4 QC 5.7L, 6 Speed xsmn , 3.55 gear ratio with stock 20" wheels and stock tires.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If anyone is interested in a video on Bilstein install, go to the 4th Gen DIY thread and search for " how to install a lift kit " I posted it a while back , it looks like this .

82fc34114b42c09f70aba286d2227261.jpg

Hope this helps someone. ..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963