Bilstein/Zone UCA Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CLASSIFY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, new to the forum here. I recently purchased a White 2014 Ram 1500 5.7LBig Horn Crew Cab back in the end of July. I am ready to begin modifications.

I recently purchased a set of Fuel Assault 20x10 -18 offset on Federal Couragia M/T 33x12.5r20. I plan on doing a level kit for now until I can purchase a lift kit next year. I plan on going with Bilstein 5100 set between 2.1 - 2.8 (ill know for sure the amount once I do measurements). Reading on forums it seems to be luck of the draw when it comes to the UCA Ball joints being an issue. Id rather be safe than sorry and just upgrade them now. I was looking at the Zone UCA D2301. My only worry with these UCAs are that they seem to be a bit beefier than OEM UCAs. I have also been looking at the Mevotech ones if anyone has information on those.

My question is with the wheel/level kit setup if I will have any rub on the UCA from the rim and/or tire. I am also a bit curious if the the tire will rub on the bumper at all. I dont believe ill have any issues with this setup, but the more information I could have would be better.

**Sorry if there is a thread on this already I was not able to find one using the search tool*

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
with that wheel and tire setup you won't have any rubbing on the UCA and you should not rub the the bumper at all

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
As stated above, you won't have any issues with rubbing on either the upper A-arm, the bumper, or the back of the inner fender with your proposed setup. You also don't really need the new upper A-arms with a Bilstein leveling kit. If Bilsteins are installed correctly they shouldn't cause the ball joint to pop as they keep the suspension travel within OEM specs. They don't allow it to overextend like spacer kits do which is where the ball joint pops out.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
with what these guys said id like to add if you do actually offroad since you have a 2014 the ball joint will most likely eventually come out of the stock arm. Now if you dont offroad at all the stock UCA will be okay with bils.

If you do light offroading the mevotechs will be just fine. You have no need for zones unless you do serious offroading

OP
OP
CLASSIFY

CLASSIFY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate all the feedback guys! I do go light off-roading at times so I'm going to go with the mecotechs for now and go with the bilsteins! I appreciate all the feed back from everyone!

phrater

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I honestly wouldn't use Mevotech UCA's, I had a balljoint pop within a week of putting them on. I put the stock UCA's back on and haven't had an issue.

My Bils are set at 2.1

OP
OP
CLASSIFY

CLASSIFY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually went with the Bilsteins and Mevos. Hoping I don't run into that problem lol