Bilsteins @ 1.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huff2462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are scaring me... I'm scheduled to get Bilsteins installed at 2.1" on Wednesday (on my 2013)... With stock everything else.

Do I REALLY need to drop $400+ to get new UCA's to avoid my ball joints popping out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
1.4, 2.1, 2.8 will not matter in a significant way in regard to the UCA issue. None of those setting alter the point where the damage can occur. When the suspension goes to full extension (think potholes) the balljoint will be stressed if the shock allows the suspension to droop further than stock. The Bilstein setting alters the spring preload, not the amount of extension you get (they keep extension close to stock, which is why they are so much bettter than spacers).

There's lots of *speculation* on these forums that all leveling methods will effect the control arms in the same way. But that is a huge oversimplification of a complex problem.

What's the fully extended length of a Bilstein, Rancho, and stock shock? That's what we really need to know.

OP
OP
C

Cyborg2337

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I see. So in theory the extension will ultimately be less if Bilsteins are set at 1.4 as opposed to 2.1? Does the compression of the springs increase the higher you set your Bilsteins? Sorry if that mode of thinking is incorrect, just trying to get a better understanding. I'm only thinking about a 1.4 level for the front and hoping that if I go that route then I won't have Ball Joint issues.

lowfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FYI, fully extended Ranchos are almost exactly the same length as the fully extended stockers. I compared the two when doing my install. Have about 750 miles on my Rancho set-up so far with no upper arm issues, knock on wood.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI, fully extended Ranchos are almost exactly the same length as the fully extended stockers. I compared the two when doing my install. Have about 750 miles on my Rancho set-up so far with no upper arm issues, knock on wood.

Any off roading?

lowfast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not yet, however some of the potholes up here probably count as off roading. It will be later this summer before I can get out on the lease and see how she does in the dirt.

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

That's great to know. That right there is the key to not needing to change your UCAs.