Bilsteins....not impressed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I waited a week for my bils to come in. Got home tonight. Taking them out of the box. First one...perfect. On to the second. Top thread is all rusty, Allen head looks marred, and the washer is missing. I know i didnt lose it...noticed it was missing before openong the bag. Call customer service. They say I need the washer from that kit and I can't just buy another one. No good reason why. No explanation as to why the shock looks rough. And they won't send me a new washer. I need to contact the place I ordered them, file a claim to exchange it and wait a week or more for a new one to come. Was super pumped to install these tomorrow since it's the only day I have time to do it for awhile. Now I can't. All I hear is about how everyone has bilsteins and they're awesome. I'm pretty disappointed at this point. What would you do at this point?? Just go buy an exact same high strength washer and run It even though youre pretty sure it's been used?? Suck it up and wait a few weeks?? Anyone else have these issues??

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear that. Where did you order it from? Personally I would get a replacement. If not, return them all or file a charge back with your credit card company and explain the situation. I would assume it would be in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
Sounds like you got a second hand set. I would return it to whom ever you got it from

spencer1122

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
5.7 HEMI
i would also return them and wait. i love the bilsteins on my truck. crappy first impression but youll be happy in the long run

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I waited a week for my bils to come in. Got home tonight. Taking them out of the box. First one...perfect. On to the second. Top thread is all rusty, Allen head looks marred, and the washer is missing. I know i didnt lose it...noticed it was missing before openong the bag. Call customer service. They say I need the washer from that kit and I can't just buy another one. No good reason why. No explanation as to why the shock looks rough. And they won't send me a new washer. I need to contact the place I ordered them, file a claim to exchange it and wait a week or more for a new one to come. Was super pumped to install these tomorrow since it's the only day I have time to do it for awhile. Now I can't. All I hear is about how everyone has bilsteins and they're awesome. I'm pretty disappointed at this point. What would you do at this point?? Just go buy an exact same high strength washer and run It even though youre pretty sure it's been used?? Suck it up and wait a few weeks?? Anyone else have these issues??

Post a picture of the allen head end

If the hardware bag was sealed it could be the factory just omitted the washer by mistake.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post a picture of the allen head end

If the hardware bag was sealed it could be the factory just omitted the washer by mistake.

I'll have to take a pic of the head tomorrow but this is what the threads look like

Attachments

• Snapchat-4787374807028465506.jpg
    Snapchat-4787374807028465506.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i would also return them and wait. i love the bilsteins on my truck. crappy first impression but youll be happy in the long run

But I've been waiting weeks to do this lol. May be 3 weeks before I have time to do it now due to work. But you're probably right

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya just return it if you can

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks used! Wait or buy locally.

Came from local auto parts store. I guess I'll have to wait. Just makes a guy mad when you pay a lot of money for something new and they pull that crap. They could be at least cleaned it up a little to try pulling it off.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Came from local auto parts store. I guess I'll have to wait. Just makes a guy mad when you pay a lot of money for something new and they pull that crap. They could be at least cleaned it up a little to try pulling it off.

I just did mine for the second time I have around 150k on her. Anyway when I order mine from Amazon I had one without a nut and one without a washer and a nut. So I now have 2 nice 5100’s for the front that amazon just gave me. I was going to call bilstein and see if I could get them to ship to me.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just did mine for the second time I have around 150k on her. Anyway when I order mine from Amazon I had one without a nut and one without a washer and a nut. So I now have 2 nice 5100’s for the front that amazon just gave me. I was going to call bilstein and see if I could get them to ship to me.

Good luck. The guy I talked to was absolutely no help at all. Hopefully you get someone that can help you

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good news. Replacement is here and I can get it done tonight/tomorrow. I have a question tho. So, it was my understanding that when assembling the new bilstein that the washer goes on BEFORE the top cap. Is this correct?? I watched an install video and they put the washer on the outside right before the nut. My buddy also said that he believes the washer goes on right before the nut. Can someone clarify? And please, only if you know for sure you are correct. I hate when I see install videos of people who think they know everything and come to find out they messed up.

carnage521

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good news. Replacement is here and I can get it done tonight/tomorrow. I have a question tho. So, it was my understanding that when assembling the new bilstein that the washer goes on BEFORE the top cap. Is this correct?? I watched an install video and they put the washer on the outside right before the nut. My buddy also said that he believes the washer goes on right before the nut. Can someone clarify? And please, only if you know for sure you are correct. I hate when I see install videos of people who think they know everything and come to find out they messed up.
Yes the washer goes on before upper spring mount then the nut.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes the washer goes on before upper spring mount then the nut.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thats what I thought. I assumed that keeps the upper cap from seating down to far/past the threads.

Any idea what happens if you put it on wrong?? I just hate when people try to do informative videos and then make mistakes. Makes me wonder how many people had to redo them because they listened to him.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My last question is what the sway bar end link should be torqued to?? I've seen a bunch of different numbers.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats what I thought. I assumed that keeps the upper cap from seating down to far/past the threads.

Any idea what happens if you put it on wrong?? I just hate when people try to do informative videos and then make mistakes. Makes me wonder how many people had to redo them because they listened to him.

The washer is used because the bilstein strut shaft is smaller diameter than factory. The washer prevents it from bottoming out on the top cap and eventually going thru.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The washer is used because the bilstein strut shaft is smaller diameter than factory. The washer prevents it from bottoming out on the top cap and eventually going thru.

Yes, this is what will and did happen to me. I had a shop install my Bil's and they put the washer on just be for the top nut. It took a little over a month but the strut rod broke through and had to be replaced. You'll know right away if the washer isn't in the right spot, there will be a very noticeable rattle in your front end. Once the piston rod broke through as in the picture there was a terrible squeak over even the smallest bumps in the road.
8b30b8f7cf2561df92a96fcba338610a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just want to clear the air a little and give a conclusion to my issues. I ended up returning the Bilsteins I had first gotten for new ones. After talking to the manager at the auto store (really good guy) he convinced me that it was not a used one. There was no marring or anything where the lower strut bolt would go through and he said was most likely just bad machining/material that caused it to rust a little. However, they did still screw up by not sending me the top washer, but hey s**t happens. Either way, I got new Bilsteins and installed them a few days later. I have to say that I am super happy with the new height of the truck and ride quality. Please don't let my experience influence anyone negatively. I was probably just on the receiving end of some bad luck. Still totally worth it.