Bilsteins on the way...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered some Bilsteins and they should be here on Friday. Planning on installing them myself but was just curious if anyone has run into any problems that I should be aware of... Planning on setting them on a low setting for the time being until I can buy bigger tires. The install looks pretty simple, but I know that nothing is ever simple when it comes to me doing mechanical work.:) Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has the torque specs I'd need that would be great. I see there is a sticky for it but I had a hard time finding just the ones I need.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just ordered some Bilsteins and they should be here on Friday. Planning on installing them myself but was just curious if anyone has run into any problems that I should be aware of... Planning on setting them on a low setting for the time being until I can buy bigger tires. The install looks pretty simple, but I know that nothing is ever simple when it comes to me doing mechanical work.:) Any tips/advice would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has the torque specs I'd need that would be great. I see there is a sticky for it but I had a hard time finding just the ones I need.

Upper Ball Joint Nut - 70
Tie Rod End Nut - 55
Lower Shock Bolt - 100

These I know but I am still uncertain about the sway bar link nut (stablizer link nut??), the 3 upper strut nuts, and was wondering if there is one for the top of the strut(the one that holds the strut/strut plate together)
I'm just not very good with the technical names of them. I kinda have my own definitions of things lol

Laddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I always throw this one out there when someone asks for tips and tricks. Every day, up until you are ready to do the install, spray everything with WD40 or some type of PB blaster.

It'll be the best thing you do for yourself.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always throw this one out there when someone asks for tips and tricks. Every day, up until you are ready to do the install, spray everything with WD40 or some type of PB blaster.

It'll be the best thing you do for yourself.

Hey, thanks. Ill be sure to do that this week. Truck has very low miles on it so I was just banking on it not being too hard to get apart

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you, I would set them at whatever height you want them at and leave them. It is a good amount of work to take them all apart again and raise them later on. Make sure you do an alignment after install and a few months after (because of settling in). Like others said spray everything in wd 40 or some blaster as well. Also make sure washer goes on before the top hat.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you, I would set them at whatever height you want them at and leave them. It is a good amount of work to take them all apart again and raise them later on. Make sure you do an alignment after install and a few months after (because of settling in). Like others said spray everything in wd 40 or some blaster as well. Also make sure washer goes on before the top hat.

^^^this all of the above

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I ultimately was going to go with 2.1 and possibly raise the rear up an inch later on down the road. I'm thinking it'd be a year before I took them back apart and adjusted.(I wanna use up the stock tires before upgrading) My only worry is that the front end will look a little funny with the stock tires and being lifted up. Ill have to throw the jack under the front and get an idea of what I want. Thanks.

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8aefcbf426a97d728696261df5ea569f.jpg

This is mine set at 2.8 to give you an idea

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as alignment goes....how bad will it be when its all finished?? Still drivable?? It may be a day or two before I can get it in to a shop is why I ask..

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Leveled the front right with the back. 39.5 inches all around

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup. Leveled the front right with the back. 39.5 inches all around

That looks way better than I thought 2.8 would. I wasnt going to go higher than 2.1. I don't suppose you have a side view pic??

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The lower shock bolt has been known to give guys a problem. Impacts can make your life easier if you have one at your disposal. For a novice getting the upper ball joint to release can be a head scratcher, but is completely doable.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The lower shock bolt has been known to give guys a problem. Impacts can make your life easier if you have one at your disposal. For a novice getting the upper ball joint to release can be a head scratcher, but is completely doable.

Yeah I have an impact, not the greatest one ever but should do the job just fine. To be honest the only area that I'm not 100% on is the disassembly of the shock itself. But as long as I take my time I shoulnt have any issues

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Just to clarify...the washer goes on before top cap?? I was sure that was right but then I watched an install video the other night and someone put it on after the top cap, right before the nut.

OP
OP
F

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can anyone tell me the torque spec for the sway bare end link nut?? Is it 75lbs?? That seems a little hefty to me