Confused about leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDW123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, and gals, I've been reading and the more I read, the more confused I get.

I really want to get my nose out of the dirt, so to speak. I was looking at the bil's set at 2.1, but I can get the rancho quick lift for about the same money installed. So now I'm leaning towards the ranchos. That's not the confusing part.

Ball joints.

I know there are 100 threads about this, and I think I've read 49 of them. I'm still no closer to understanding what type of lift causes ball joints to pop out. Is it spacer lifts, or all lifts? Is it some other type of cause like tire size or lack of alignment?

Sorry for beating a dead horse here, but I do appreciate the help!

makodiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can say I used the Bils on the highest setting to get level. No spacers in the rear. Ive had them for about 20,000 mil. with no problems. Better handling. IMO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is the cheaper spacers that cause the ball joint issues. Bils have not had any issues that I know of. Set them at 2.1 or 2.8 and you're good to go. The Rancho set up I've heard good things about. For example, adjusting your ride stiffness/softness when you want. Haven't heard any complaints about ball joints with them.

If you can get Rancho adjustable for the same price as Bils, that's great. When I was looking, they were double the price. Probably one reason so many go with the Bilsteins.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ranchos are great, Love mine and was able to adjust them to my liking.

OP
OP
J

JDW123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, from what I understand about the ball joint issue is this: Spacer lifts bad, bilsteins/bracket lifts/strut lifts good. I think I got it now! Thanks for the replies!

OP
OP
J

JDW123

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ordered the Quick Lift today and it's set to be installed in Wednesday!

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
IMO...The best way is to add like 1-1.5" in the front at the middle setting of your replacement strut (bilstein or rancho or whatever), and then lower the back ~1". Then you don't have to worry about harsh ride, undesirable angles, easier to get in the bed, etc.