Cv axle issues 2013 ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First time poster and looking for some direction.

2013 ram 1500 leveled on bilseins since new finally tossed a cv joint. Fully aware that this may happend with increased angles I would understand if parts need to be replaced.

Have had this set up for 120000km and it's been flawless but... now that my cv has blown the half shaft spline the intermediate axle (shaft) is no longer useable. Which normally isn't a big deal until I found out the passenger side does not have a replacement part.

Dealer ship says the lift was the cause.. yes I'm aware of that. They also say we dont have axles for it so your only options are to buy used or new axles housing assembly.

Question. Is there any aftermarket stuff available for this since I'm out of warrenty or am I up the river here without a paddle?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are high angle CV shafts aftermarket , can't remember the manufacturers but should be able to find it with an Internet search .
Hope this helps !

Welcome to the forum Sir and good luck !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe a couple name brands are RCV & KORE
Good luck Sir

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is only leveled on bilseins but I do like the idea of the high angle core half shafts.

Still looking for information in the axle that come out of the housing connecting differential to CVS on passenger side.

Apprently every truck 2012 and up will have this issue and hopefully we can get someone to make an aftermarket unit as a pose to buying a hole new housing.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say buy a new housing, do you mean an entire new cv axle? It's usually cheaper to just buy an entirely new, complete cv axle than replace parts on one.

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you say buy a new housing, do you mean an entire new cv axle? It's usually cheaper to just buy an entirely new, complete cv axle than replace parts on one.

No I mean an entire axle housing which includes both right and left intermediate shafts and the pot for your gears to go in

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
First time poster and looking for some direction.

2013 ram 1500 leveled on bilseins since new finally tossed a cv joint. Fully aware that this may happend with increased angles I would understand if parts need to be replaced.

Have had this set up for 120000km and it's been flawless but... now that my cv has blown the half shaft spline the intermediate axle (shaft) is no longer useable. Which normally isn't a big deal until I found out the passenger side does not have a replacement part.

Dealer ship says the lift was the cause.. yes I'm aware of that. They also say we don't have axles for it so your only options are to buy used or new axles housing assembly.

Question. Is there any aftermarket stuff available for this since I'm out of warrenty or am I up the river here without a paddle?

What lift are you running? Any pics?

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
******** you do not have buy new housing. I ruined one my shafts threads and I popped it out and went and got a used one from junkyard cause I couldn't wait 3 days and 360 dollars or whatever **** it was brand new for the whole Cv shaft.. Btw the cv shaft is same for driver side and passenger side.

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is what you can't get fixed from Chrysler and no matter what mileage or level or lift they will not fix.

ZF is a good brand but may have done a wrong thing here

Attachments

• 20160601_182006.jpg
    20160601_182006.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 391

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol that's not the CV shaft... That's the internal guts of the housing. Yes I am actually the lead tech of the die cast department where I work we used to make parts for ZF and they were no fun. We making the front housing for the f-150, and various other parts.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Here is what you can't get fixed from Chrysler and no matter what mileage or level or lift they will not fix.

ZF is a good brand but may have done a wrong thing here

That sucks. Do you off road much? Never heard of that breaking. Were you in 4wd when it happened?

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol that's not the CV shaft... That's the internal guts of the housing. Yes I am actually the lead tech of the die cast department where I work we used to make parts for ZF and they were no fun. We making the front housing for the f-150, and various other parts.

I know I was just giving an idea of what caused the problem. Second paragraph stated intermediate shaft going. But anyways I'm looking at buying a used one in to replace mine and while I have a spare casting I will come up with a fix.

I've done some cast work for Ford and Chrysler as well and have been in the auto industry for over 10 years as a tool maker. Think you could release some details of the internals of the casting as to whether or not the axle is in a pressed in race or can it somehow be removed?

Pm me if you don't want to throw it up on here

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That sucks. Do you off road much? Never heard of that breaking. Were you in 4wd when it happened?
Truck has primarily been used as a commuter vehicle but because of the winter conditions and where my camp is I have to use 4x4. To answer your question, no it didn't go while in 4x4. Actually caught it early and ripped it apart in a walmart parking lot

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Truck has primarily been used as a commuter vehicle but because of the winter conditions and where my camp is I have to use 4x4. To answer your question, no it didn't go while in 4x4. Actually caught it early and ripped it apart in a walmart parking lot

I wonder if it was a factory defect….

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if it was a factory defect….
Only way to tell would be to use a hardness tester on both items and see what they are. If the half shaft on the cv is harder than the axle in the housing than that's a huge problem

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Only way to tell would be to use a hardness tester on both items and see what they are. If the half shaft on the cv is harder than the axle in the housing than that's a huge problem

Yes, I would think that it has been engineered to sheer on the cv shaft

OP
OP
S

Session606

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bringing this thread back to life. due to not being under warranty i was forced to buy a new front differential and cvs. now im having an issue with the dash telling me 4wd temporarily unavailable. this it starting to become a problem with this mildly frustrating truck.