CV issues with Bils and lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious if any of you have experienced CV popping out? I have Bilsteins set at 2.8 and Zone 6 inch and it already came out when they went to get it aligned after the install? Anyone else have this happen? What's the remedy?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
It shouldn't have enough room to pop out when everything's together provided it's all installed correctly. Do you have some pictures of the front suspension showing the Bilsteins and the CV shaft angles?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes, and I lowered it to 2.1 and have no issues since. My cv blew out the middle at 2.8, cv didn't pop off but was actually torn.

I don't know if there are custom axles that come with lifts. The axles are relatively cheap less then 100 bucks and that includes both cv's I believe. At 2.8 it is near the level where you can't use stock axles. However, many guys run at 2.8 and have no issues, it is still near the upper limit of what is going to be possible. My tire guy said it was a risk, and the cv broke sure enough, and he still paid for it, good guy.

this is old but some stuff relevant.

from link, but read the entire link.

We'll start with the front suspension. The two ways of adding lift to a Ram is either coil springs or spacers. Rather than debate the logic of one over the other, I'll focus on what happens when you use either.
As a rule of thumb, for every 2 inches you add in lift to your Ram you will move the front axle back about 3/4 of an inch and uncenter under the frame about the same amount. So a 3 inch spacer/spring would move the axle about an inch. A 5 inch (another common size) spring would move your axle back and over about 2 inches, etc. Obviously this causes caster and dog legging issues along with severe triangulation of the factory track bar, control arms and ball joints. It degrades the ride because the of the control arm angles, and places unrealistic loads on shocks, ball joints and the afore mentioned track bar. The front sway bars ability to control body roll is also compromised to the angle of the links which causes them to deflect under load rather than load the bar and vehicle, destroying handling. I'm going to explain in a moment why a properly lifted vehicle retains this piece.

Last edited:

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to change the control arm. I've done research on it for my own truck because I wanted to do the same. If you put it at 2.8 you should change the uca to something like the mevotec uca and you won't have any issues keeping it at 2.8, 2.1 runs just fine with stock uca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to change the control arm. I've done research on it for my own truck because I wanted to do the same. If you put it at 2.8 you should change the uca to something like the mevotec uca and you won't have any issues keeping it at 2.8, 2.1 runs just fine with stock uca

I currently have the mevotech UCAs...the shop got a new clamp for it and it's fine now. Do you think it's likely to pop out again?

The shop did add a zerk fitting to the UCAs...but this shouldn't have any effect?

Fanta1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It shouldn't really, unless your 5100 is installed upside down? There is a photo somewhere in the forum to show the right way, but people have put the top not in the coil, they let it sit under it but should fit up into it

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious if any of you have experienced CV popping out? I have Bilsteins set at 2.8 and Zone 6 inch and it already came out when they went to get it aligned after the install? Anyone else have this happen? What's the remedy?

Umm......CV popping out or Ball Joints popping out?
Is it the front 4x4 axle or the part on the upper control arm suspension?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, and I lowered it to 2.1 and have no issues since. My cv blew out the middle at 2.8, cv didn't pop off but was actually torn.

I don't know if there are custom axles that come with lifts. The axles are relatively cheap less then 100 bucks and that includes both cv's I believe. At 2.8 it is near the level where you can't use stock axles. However, many guys run at 2.8 and have no issues, it is still near the upper limit of what is going to be possible. My tire guy said it was a risk, and the cv broke sure enough, and he still paid for it, good guy.

this is old but some stuff relevant.

from link, but read the entire link.

We'll start with the front suspension. The two ways of adding lift to a Ram is either coil springs or spacers. Rather than debate the logic of one over the other, I'll focus on what happens when you use either.
As a rule of thumb, for every 2 inches you add in lift to your Ram you will move the front axle back about 3/4 of an inch and uncenter under the frame about the same amount. So a 3 inch spacer/spring would move the axle about an inch. A 5 inch (another common size) spring would move your axle back and over about 2 inches, etc. Obviously this causes caster and dog legging issues along with severe triangulation of the factory track bar, control arms and ball joints. It degrades the ride because the of the control arm angles, and places unrealistic loads on shocks, ball joints and the afore mentioned track bar. The front sway bars ability to control body roll is also compromised to the angle of the links which causes them to deflect under load rather than load the bar and vehicle, destroying handling. I'm going to explain in a moment why a properly lifted vehicle retains this piece.

To clarify, the quote you posted applies to solid axle front suspension. So 2nd gen Rams (as the post was written for) or for 2500/3500 trucks. 3rd gen and 4th gen 1500 front suspension is a completely different design and none of that information is relevant to it.

A control arm has nothing to do with the CV shaft.

Umm......CV popping out or Ball Joints popping out?
Is it the front 4x4 axle or the part on the upper control arm suspension?

From what the OP has now stated it sounds like just the CV boot popped off. It didn't actually pop out.

OP, as I stated above it would be good to post up some pictures of the angles of the front suspension for us to take a look at. A boot will pop off from time to time but if your CV shafts are at too much of an angle then it will continue to be a problem.

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To clarify, the quote you posted applies to solid axle front suspension. So 2nd gen Rams (as the post was written for) or for 2500/3500 trucks. 3rd gen and 4th gen 1500 front suspension is a completely different design and none of that information is relevant to it.

From what the OP has now stated it sounds like just the CV boot popped off. It didn't actually pop out.

OP, as I stated above it would be good to post up some pictures of the angles of the front suspension for us to take a look at. A boot will pop off from time to time but if your CV shafts are at too much of an angle then it will continue to be a problem.

Ok will be sure to get some good pictures tomorrow for you all to take a look at :)

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That's right I should have clarified! It's just the CV boot, and for some reason only the passenger one at that. Any way to fix this, or is lowering the Bils the best remedy?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's right I should have clarified! It's just the CV boot, and for some reason only the passenger one at that. Any way to fix this, or is lowering the Bils the best remedy?

That partially depends on what the angle looks like. It could just have been a worn out boot or clamp; they do come off sometimes. But if the angle of the CV shaft is too steep then there is potential for it to be a continuing problem with stock CV's. If that's the case then two options are either lowering the Bilsteins down a bit or getting a set of Kore High Angle CV Shafts.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anybody tell me who makes this upper control arms.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52