CV issues with lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone here had an issues where their CV axle has partially come out of the front diff? I have Zone 6" with Bilsteins and my shop is saying the reason this is happening is because of the Zone lift being 'stacked' with the additional height of the Bilsteins.

I'm inclined to believe them because they're a very well known shop in the area and they do a lot of lift installs. On the other hand, I'm not sure how this is possible when others have lifts on top of Bilsteins.

I'm kind of lost here. Anyone have any insight?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They are using stock axles? I had my cv tear with bils on 2.8. It's just a bad angle. I would see what other options they have.

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stock axles, yes. By CV boot on passenger side kept coming off, and I had to drive with it like that for a couple weeks. So the shop put in a new aftermarket replacement, but now the spline area near the end is coming out of the diff and they're saying it's due to the Bilsteins

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This is not as uncommon as you think. What did they propose to fix it?

How much rake does the Zone 6 leave in? You have 2 options 3 or 5 inches of lift in the back? You have the bils set at 2.8? If you can get the bils to an early level like even less then the 2.1, I bet it would work, maybe even run them stock height. The question is how much rake is the 6 inch by itself. Here's ur pdf, says not to add more lift, but clarifies as spacer, I bet they meant bils as well. So my question would be why did the shop do this anyway? Even if they got it to work, you will be dealing with this again. I would just go down to what the zone 6 gave me. Unless you feel like playing the lift fix it game.

read the pre installation notes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is not as uncommon as you think. What did they propose to fix it?

How much rake does the Zone 6 leave in? You have 2 options 3 or 5 inches of lift in the back? You have the bils set at 2.8? If you can get the bils to an early level like even less then the 2.1, I bet it would work, maybe even run them stock height. The question is how much rake is the 6 inch by itself. Here's ur pdf, says not to add more lift, but clarifies as spacer, I bet they meant bils as well. So my question would be why did the shop do this anyway? Even if they got it to work, you will be dealing with this again. I would just go down to what the zone 6 gave me. Unless you feel like playing the lift fix it game.

read the pre installation notes.

Yea they're currently set in the middle, so I was thinking exactly what you said and just going to stick height...I definitely don't want to have to keep tinkering with it and having things break. Sort of drives me crazy when something isn't quite right with my rig and I'm super OCD about that stuff lol.

The only part that gets me is that it appears a lot of people run lifts on top of Bilsteins....so I don't know why I'm having an issue? Maybe they are too and not talking about it :hmm::hmm:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Search the lifted section. I would be a little disappointed at the shop though. Good things axles are so cheap.

Good Luck

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damm....stories like this are what keep me from takin the plunge with bils.

Lots of guys have stacked bils with lifts and have had no problems.....maybe YOURS has something wrong...??

Good luck.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Lets see some pictures of the Bilsteins, front suspension, and CV shaft angles (I believe I asked for these from you before). I find it hard to believe that this is such an issue if everything is installed correctly especially if your Bilsteins aren't maxed. Installing Bilsteins on top of a lift kit is no different than leveling a truck when it comes to geometry provided everything is installed correctly.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you really wanted the lift and bils, you could look at aftermarket like RCV axles. They cost a pretty penny though.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
^^^^^
That's what I was getting at, didn't know the brand. I like their you break it we fix it policy. I'm not sure if this fixes the angle, but I would look at this above all else. Fix the angle problem, you fixed your problem. And stock axles are weak and cv boots are weak and it a regular replacement item, more so on suspension with a lot of travel.

Do they make this for a 1500 suspension? I see one for f150 so you would think they would have one for ram. Nice zerk fitting.

Last edited:

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They dont fix the angle, but they allow for more angle in their design. That and apparently they are tough as hell which is why they offer the "you break it we fix it". I looked really hard at these for my F150 since I was trashing CVs with the spacers, but once I moved to Ranch quicklifts the angle mellowed enough that I stopped wrecking them.

Not sure if they make something for the 1500, but I can't see why not. I haven't really piled too deep into the site on my phone.

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So putting stock struts in should be the fix? I'm just tired of dealing with the issues when countless others aren't having a single problem with theirs.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
So putting stock struts in should be the fix? I'm just tired of dealing with the issues when countless others aren't having a single problem with theirs.

You can just lower the Bilsteins down. You don't need to put the stock struts back in.

But again, you still haven't posted any pictures to show us what's actually going on....

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They dont fix the angle, but they allow for more angle in their design. That and apparently they are tough as hell which is why they offer the "you break it we fix it". I looked really hard at these for my F150 since I was trashing CVs with the spacers, but once I moved to Ranch quicklifts the angle mellowed enough that I stopped wrecking them.

Not sure if they make something for the 1500, but I can't see why not. I haven't really piled too deep into the site on my phone.

Mine have been issues after issue. Unfortunately

OP
OP
E

EvoNiner1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can just lower the Bilsteins down. You don't need to put the stock struts back in.

But again, you still haven't posted any pictures to show us what's actually going on....

I put stock ones back in and still had CV issues

15_RaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
wow glad i read this. I have 4inch superlift with bad rake and now im thinking twice about getting bils.

15_RaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is this a real common issue? I remember talking to a shop about this and they woildnt do it because stacking lifts is a no-no. Doesnt make alot of sense to me though because my lift makes everything work a basically stock peremeters now, just sits higher

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wow glad i read this. I have 4inch superlift with bad rake and now im thinking twice about getting bils.

I wouldn't worry, read his post above. He put the stockers in there and still has cv issues........ pretty much clears up the Bils as far as being the problem.