Diagnosing driveline sounds give me a headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If it is bearing I meant, gears are not damaged hopefully, but you will see a dark marks on inner side of the bearing face, were the rollers were running. So in that case bearing is damaged unfortunately so need to be replaced. This could make also some extra backlash on gears as pinion has moved a bit out. Which gears brand is used in your application?
Okay well hopefully it is that then. Also from looking around I saw it could be a loose pinion nut.
Either way it is at the Shop now I told them what I thought it could be. Its in their hands now since I'm not an expert at gear swaps and I paid a good amount to have it done right so now they will be fixing it.
Wish I had an older car to practice gear swaps on..not something I want to learn on my truck

I used timken bearings and motive gears. All new of course

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Okay well hopefully it is that then. Also from looking around I saw it could be a loose pinion nut.
Either way it is at the Shop now I told them what I thought it could be. Its in their hands now since I'm not an expert at gear swaps and I paid a good amount to have it done right so now they will be fixing it.
Wish I had an older car to practice gear swaps on..not something I want to learn on my truck

I used timken bearings and motive gears. All new of course

Pinion nut?...hmm...maybe also! You know there was a recall regarding this pinion nut, so dealer has to install for free some kind of extra part, that fixes the nut completely. Please ask your shop to check if it was installed actually.
Motive gears...lucky you having 9.25 corporate ...I have that stupid 9.25ZF rear, so not so many offers for this one:))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Pinion nut?...hmm...maybe also! You know there was a recall regarding this pinion nut, so dealer has to install for free some kind of extra part, that fixes the nut completely. Please ask your shop to check if it was installed actually.
Motive gears...lucky you having 9.25 corporate ...I have that stupid 9.25ZF rear, so not so many offers for this one:))

I try to stay away from the dealer lol. I guessing i could always put a locking nut on the end of it to ensure it stays on..if thats the problem.

I have the zf axle. Moe's sells a double drilled set for motive gears now for both the 9.25 corporate and 9.25zf

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
I try to stay away from the dealer lol. I guessing i could always put a locking nut on the end of it to ensure it stays on..if thats the problem.

I have the zf axle. Moe's sells a double drilled set for motive gears now for both the 9.25 corporate and 9.25zf

You are right about dealers, but anyway that one is close to my place is quite interesting in my build:)) so make everything good and allow me to be present in the working zone:))

Motive for ZF?! Wow! Need to think about it. The one I have doesn't satisfy me. So I decided to change it to Yukon, but if Motive is also available for ZF....need to think again))

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
so...they called and told me nothing is loose and the bearings look good..."its the ring and pinion making the noise" I said that makes no sense nothing is normal about that. So now i need to go deal with that tomorrow morning

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
so...they called and told me nothing is loose and the bearings look good..."its the ring and pinion making the noise" I said that makes no sense nothing is normal about that. So now i need to go deal with that tomorrow morning

Bull sh*t... gears are making noise only if those are adjusted wrong. And it is another kind of noise. In that case Noise changes from Drive to coast, but it in your case it is more related to driveshaft rpm. Could you ask them three numbers:
Backlash?
Pinion depth?
Pinion bearing preload?

12ValveBrandon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have to agree here with Pmexpert. From what I know about diffs, what makes them whine is either having incorrect preload on pinion bearings, uneven preload on pinion bearings (due to reusing crush sleeve which I am unsure if your truck even has), or incorrect pattern that makes the pinion move too far away from from the center of the gear on acceleration or deceleration(this is dependent upon pinion depth and backlash.) If I were to guess, they are using the fact that you brought your own gear in as an easy excuse not to have to fix an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
They already had it closed so I didn't bother asking the numbers. Yeah my theory is since I didn't get the gears through them they are playing the it's not our install its the gears game. Unfortunately I can't argue with them over that.
Only thing I can do is buy another set through them and **** out money for another install so if it happens again it's all on them. Not really what I want to do and will have to wait anyway.

12ValveBrandon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They already had it closed so I didn't bother asking the numbers. Yeah my theory is since I didn't get the gears through them they are playing the it's not our install its the gears game. Unfortunately I can't argue with them over that.
Only thing I can do is buy another set through them and **** out money for another install so if it happens again it's all on them. Not really what I want to do and will have to wait anyway.

Well how does the warranty work? They won't warranty gear wine but if a bearing blows apart within your warranty miles do they fix it? If they cover diff failure you may want to ride the warranty out and see if their questionable work blows apart going down the freeway.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well how does the warranty work? They won't warranty gear wine but if a bearing blows apart within your warranty miles do they fix it? If they cover diff failure you may want to ride the warranty out and see if their questionable work blows apart going down the freeway.

im not sure. I doubt theyll cover it. I bought the gears, install kit, and lsd. What ill do this time...when i actually decide to take the hit. I wont pay for it until i take it for a drive.

If it makes a sound a week later i will be back in there raising hell.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I got the gears changed. Motives were taken out and yukon put in the rear.

Didn't hear any noise at first....then I started hearing a slight whine and I had chatter which I had last time.

I thought no way that it was happening again..what is the common denominator? The red line oil. I did some googling and found out red line actually doesn't have the weight it says it has..very low film strength.

So I went over to pep boys to see if they have amsoil sever gear 75-140 they didnt. No heavy duty lucas 85-140 either.
So I chose royal purple 75-140. It quieted it down almost completely. No more chatter either.

My hypothesis is the lucas or amsoil it will be gone completely.

Guess my diffs don't like red line oil

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
So I got the gears changed. Motives were taken out and yukon put in the rear.

Didn't hear any noise at first....then I started hearing a slight whine and I had chatter which I had last time.

I thought no way that it was happening again..what is the common denominator? The red line oil. I did some googling and found out red line actually doesn't have the weight it says it has..very low film strength.

So I went over to pep boys to see if they have amsoil sever gear 75-140 they didnt. No heavy duty lucas 85-140 either.
So I chose royal purple 75-140. It quieted it down almost completely. No more chatter either.

My hypothesis is the lucas or amsoil it will be gone completely.

Guess my diffs don't like red line oil

Congrats! Finally you got what you paid for! Will switch to Yukon next week, so will try to find a royal purple oil as you suggest

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Good lord...sound proofing(but apparently not enough)+ not driving with your windows up for months= not noticing annoying sounds

So recently I drove my family to a family event..needless to say windows were up and music was down. Uh oh...i started hearing this noise that has been driving me nuts I cant un-notice it now

I recently had my gears changed to 4.56 motives, haven't heard anyone complain about gear whine with them so i though i would have no problem. Unfortunately the shop said if there is whine since motive isn't the gears they sell they wont warranty them against whine. I didn't notice any whine honestly but then again im not sure if ive ever heard a definitive gear whine. So im not saying it is gear whine...i hope it isn't.

I cant exactly pin point when this noise started but i noticed it last thursday.

Explanation of the sound. It is sort of a whirring whining+slight vibration. This sound only happens(or is only noticeable due to exhaust?) around 1300-2000 rpm...only when pressing on the gas pedal or on certain downshifts. Coasting there is nothing nor when i floor it. I can tap the gas pedal lightly and it will do it for a few seconds and stop.

I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME TELL IF IT IS COMING FROM THE FRONT OR THE BACK :flipthebird: (sorry or the caps but i'm screaming inside)

short video...turn up your sound and you will hear it. th_20161003_205924.jpg

To me i thought the tire was rubbing on something...from what i see it isnt touching anything+ plus since it only happens when on the gas it could be that

Other ideas just spit balling here.

Serpentine belt

something with the tranny?

cv shaft?

driveline related....

I do have one bad seal on the driver side cv shaft but i doubt it is that..fixing that soon.

Kind of lost for answers lol

I was looking at this Identifying Bad Axle Noises - Four Wheeler Magazine but i cant identify with any of them.

Im going to try to jack it up tomorrow and play around to see if anything is loose. I'll also be doing some red neck testing and throw it into drive to see if i can find the location of the noise.

Ideas appreciated

It is gear whine 100% final answer it is very common to have the whine only under load or only while coasting depending on the situation. Mine is exactly like yours and I have 4.56 nitro gears. Motive actually has a reputation for that when I was shopping read that from many people. Mine didn't do it until a couple failed pinion bearing jobs and the fact that the pinion nut backed off multiple times to to the recall defect. You need to get it adjusted before it is too late. Might already be like mine and then it is just live with it or replace with new set.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I finally read the rest. I personally find my diff to sound the best with Redline oddly enough it is the only one I don't need friction modifier for either. All others I needed it for the auburn. So do you like the Yukons?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I finally read the rest. I personally find my diff to sound the best with Redline oddly enough it is the only one I don't need friction modifier for either. All others I needed it for the auburn. So do you like the Yukons?
Yes I do like the Yukon so far. I haven't really been able to put it to the test yet though