Different wheel-well gaps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey everybody,

I recently decided it was time for my truck to receive some maintenance/lovin'

I installed new tires (275/60/20 Cooper Discoverer AT)

I installed Bilstein 5100's set at 1.4" (The middle ring)

I really enjoy the new look, and I'm enjoying all the other benefits, CV shafts being perfectly level and not having any play, better steering, handling, etc.

And it's a small enough lift that I don't have to worry about the front being high when towing.

Here's my question... I never had any reason to really measure the wheel gap before, I guess just to find out how much lift was reasonable (never even considered going for the full 2.8 inches) and to decide between 1.4 vs 2.1

I am now measuring 6 inches gap front, and 8 inches gap on the PASSENGER side.

I am now measuring 5 inches gap front, and 7 inches gap on the DRIVERS side.

Any idea why the passenger side is exactly 1 inch higher than the driver side?

I thought maybe because the driver side has the fuel tank, but I took these measurements with the tank basically empty.

Thanks in advance,

#RAM

OP
OP
R

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey. Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I forgot to mention it, but, I've also had an alignment performed.

Right after installing the Bilstein 5100's, here's what the wheels looked like from the front...

\\____//

lol - sorry for the crude "drawing" but you get the idea.

Now everything is perfectly within spec. ||____||

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Measure somewhere else (parking lot) and see if you get the same numbers..

Ive read post about others with the problem before... Id just assume not to ever measure mine so I never know.

IMO

OP
OP
R

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Austin,

I was taking the measurements in my garage on a surface that I know is (basically) perfectly flat.

Even when parked at the gym last night, when looking at my truck, I can see it leaning down towards the drives side.

I am starting to re-think the alignment? Some people have said that you need to drive around for about a week to let everything settle before getting the alignment? We did the alignment at the same time as the bilstein 5100 install... just because the angles were so far out of spec and I didn't want to hurt anything driving around for a week like that.

Maybe I just need to have the alignment re-done now after driving around for about week?

OP
OP
R

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also... Just to throw some more information out there. I decided to measure from the ground to the top of the wheel arches, instead of from the tire to the wheel arch.

PASSENGER SIDE: 37" FRONT, 39" REAR
DRIVERS SIDE: 36.5" FRONT, 38.5" REAR

OP
OP
R

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thank you Austin.

I've been searching the forums all morning and see several other people reporting the exact same thing.

It doesn't appear to be affecting drive-ability. At all.

And I doubt anyone but me will notice.

OP
OP
R

RAMRAMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Followup.

I measured again with a full tank of gas. All measurements appear to be the same now. (front passenger might be a tiny bit higher, but that's the corner furthest from the full tank of fuel)

I'm going to chalk this issue up to resolved. Thanks.