Do you need a spring compressor or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the Maxtrac front spring replacement. The Maxtrac video on the 2wd installing the 7" lift doesn't show a need for the stock springs or Maxtrac springs to be compressed when removing the stock and installing the Maxtrac? Can that be right? There's another video floating around on YouTube where a garage installs the same lift and shows them using it. Anyone install this kit themselves? I was hoping that a 60" pinch bar with a buddy pressing down on the lower control arm would give me enough leverage.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
when i did my 2.5" on my last ram i used a compressor to get them in, but then my mechanic friend did my recent truck he didnt use one. i guess it just depends on how much brute force you wanna use.

OP
OP
Steen

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when i did my 2.5" on my last ram i used a compressor to get them in, but then my mechanic friend did my recent truck he didnt use one. i guess it just depends on how much brute force you wanna use.

Gotcha... I'm thinking you would almost have to use a set if you were doing it by yourself. Even though the Maxtrac video makes it look like to pop out and in with no problem. Like I said earlier.. hoping with a buddy pressing down on the LCA with a 5' pry bar will give me enough clearance.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Gotcha... I'm thinking you would almost have to use a set if you were doing it by yourself. Even though the Maxtrac video makes it look like to pop out and in with no problem. Like I said earlier.. hoping with a buddy pressing down on the LCA with a 5' pry bar will give me enough clearance.

its definitely doable if the truck is jacked up high enough and the LCA should be able to drop far enough.