Everything Bilstein Mega Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys, Its a place in Southern Maryland where I live called tricked trucks. I really have debated just doing it myself, I know I could. I'm and aircraft mechanic by trade. All i have is hand tools so thats why I'm on the fence about it. I always seem to get into a project then realize i need a tool I don't have. If I had an impact wrench I would do it with no problem. If I decide to do it myself does anyone know where I can find a spec sheet and list of the wrench and socket sizes I need.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys, Its a place in Southern Maryland where I live called tricked trucks. I really have debated just doing it myself, I know I could. I'm and aircraft mechanic by trade. All i have is hand tools so thats why I'm on the fence about it. I always seem to get into a project then realize i need a tool I don't have. If I had an impact wrench I would do it with no problem. If I decide to do it myself does anyone know where I can find a spec sheet and list of the wrench and socket sizes I need.
What type aircraft & for how long ?

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What type aircraft & for how long ?

I'm active duty so I was working on the F/A 18 Super hornet, Before that i was I-level where we got parts from all types of aircraft and repaired them. I've been active for about 8 years now.

I think I've decided to just go ahead and do it myself, just have to decide 2.1 or 2.8. I don't want it to look too goofy with the stock tires and wheels.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm active duty so I was working on the F/A 18 Super hornet, Before that i was I-level where we got parts from all types of aircraft and repaired them. I've been active for about 8 years now.

I think I've decided to just go ahead and do it myself, just have to decide 2.1 or 2.8. I don't want it to look too goofy with the stock tires and wheels.
Thank you for your service Sir ! !

I'm prior Army and an A&P licensed Civil Helicopter Mechanic now (26years)

I'm certin you can pull this off , I'd go +2.8" top ring if I was you . If you end up a bit nose high its easy and inexpensive to install a rear coil spring spacer kit to get back level or a bit of + rake so you maintain level while towing .
Imo stock tires don't look too small with the bils maxed out .
See pic below ,stockers with +2.8" no spacer in the back yet .

fdc2f8b1e120c0cb05d4279ea4fe8c10.jpg

You may struggle a bit being Navy and airplanes ,it was simple for me being Army & Helicopters. ( much more brains required ) not to mention I was born and raised in the Great state of Arkansas " Go Hogs " so it's pretty much understood I'm better looking , a hell of a lot stronger and obviously of an overall Higher intelligence than most anyone on the planet ! LOL Couldn't help myself LOL !

All jokes aside , definitely do this yourself and you'll save enough to purchase a good 12-18 vdc electric impact to help with the project and you'll save enogh $$ the alignment would be free as well .
If you run into any snags , just post up your questions & concerns with pictures here , many of us have done this and we'd be glad to have an opportunity to help out a serviceman !

Be sure to watch that video I posted above in the link to my post #26 in the other bilsteins thread .
EDIT ☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT
Reposted link here .

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1206420

Oh and as far as tools , if I remember correctly wrenches and sockets 16mm - 22mm , Allen wrench set , medium hammer , 1/2 breaker bar and a heat gun.

And again Sir , thank you for your continued service to our Great Nation !

Hope this Helps !

Last edited:

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thank you for your service Sir ! !

!
Thank you

Thanks for all the advice too. After watching the video i'm certain I can handle it, I found them on amazon for $88. I'll probably do the the rears at the same time too.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everything Bilstien Mega Thread

Thank you

Thanks for all the advice too. After watching the video i'm certain I can handle it, I found them on amazon for $88. I'll probably do the the rears at the same time too.

Thats where I bought mine.. Then a couple weeks later guys were buying them on jet.com for $150.

IMO

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just had the fronts and rears installed onto my truck. The fronts are set at 2.1 and I went with rear Bilsteins just to keep them matched. I'm picking the truck up in the am so hopefully if it's not raining still, photos will follow. Trust me it won't be anything that you gents have not seen already lol.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had the fronts and rears installed onto my truck. The fronts are set at 2.1 and I went with rear Bilsteins just to keep them matched. I'm picking the truck up in the am so hopefully if it's not raining still, photos will follow. Trust me it won't be anything that you gents have not seen already lol.

Pictures are always nice !
Definitely comment on the ride !

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I currently have/ had a 2.5 Level on it and it rode great to me. The reason for the change is that people more knowledgeable then me ( on this forum ) have expressed that's no bueno, so off they come. :)

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have this situation, but has anyone installed bilstein even if they have the air ride suspension?

**Truck name: Rampage**

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow ! Lots of great new info added to post #1 by AustinB!

BigSexyBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 dodge ram quad express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I have a 14 Laramie QC 4x4.
Ideally, I wanted bils at 2.8 with 1" spacer in the back. However, I do use my truck to haul my wheeler and other stuffs in the bed and when I do this, she squats lower than a lady taking a leak in the woods. Any suggestions on what to do to the rear to hold up 700-800 lbs without a terrible squat? I'm sure rear bils or a spacer isn't going to help. Am I going to need different springs to help this?
Thanks guys!

Airlift 1000 airbags. When I load my Suzuki king quad 750 for a 2hr trip upstate I never even feel it. And no squats

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those of you running bils on all four corners, are you doing it just because or are they one of the better options?

Sent from my AS985 using Tapatalk