Everything Bilstein Mega Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
^^^. I did mine as such to keep them matched, whether it makes an actual difference I do not know currently. I can tell you once thing, I had oem on still and those puppies had over 150,000 miles on them. :)

RAMthevbied

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im running bils on all corners to match my suspension components as best i can. Im sure there are better options (i.e icon, zone, fox and what not) but those also come with a heftier price tag. For the money you cant beat the bils.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this works on the 2wd 1500's as well, does anyone have or can find a video of installation on 2wd. I've been looking but everything is for 4wd.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this works on the 2wd 1500's as well, does anyone have or can find a video of installation on 2wd. I've been looking but everything is for 4wd.

Adjustable bils are not available for 2wd trucks.

outdoorsman80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for your service Sir ! !

I'm prior Army and an A&P licensed Civil Helicopter Mechanic now (26years)

I'm certin you can pull this off , I'd go +2.8" top ring if I was you . If you end up a bit nose high its easy and inexpensive to install a rear coil spring spacer kit to get back level or a bit of + rake so you maintain level while towing .
Imo stock tires don't look too small with the bils maxed out .
See pic below ,stockers with +2.8" no spacer in the back yet .

fdc2f8b1e120c0cb05d4279ea4fe8c10.jpg

You may struggle a bit being Navy and airplanes ,it was simple for me being Army & Helicopters. ( much more brains required ) not to mention I was born and raised in the Great state of Arkansas " Go Hogs " so it's pretty much understood I'm better looking , a hell of a lot stronger and obviously of an overall Higher intelligence than most anyone on the planet ! LOL Couldn't help myself LOL !

All jokes aside , definitely do this yourself and you'll save enough to purchase a good 12-18 vdc electric impact to help with the project and you'll save enogh $$ the alignment would be free as well .
If you run into any snags , just post up your questions & concerns with pictures here , many of us have done this and we'd be glad to have an opportunity to help out a serviceman !

Be sure to watch that video I posted above in the link to my post #26 in the other bilsteins thread .
EDIT ☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT☆☆☆☆☆☆EDIT
Reposted link here .

Alright guys.. BILSTEINS post your pics!!! - Page 3 - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Oh and as far as tools , if I remember correctly wrenches and sockets 16mm - 22mm , Allen wrench set , medium hammer , 1/2 breaker bar and a heat gun.

And again Sir , thank you for your continued service to our Great Nation !

Hope this Helps !

What airframe? I'm currently on AD and from the great state of Arkansas as well. WPS!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Woo pig sooie !
In the Army OH-58A &C Models , also some UH1 Work .
Now pretty much anything manufactured by Bell Helicopter . From 206's through the 429 , both single and twin-engine acft.
Where you at in Alabygodbama?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

outdoorsman80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Woo pig sooie !
In the Army OH-58A &C Models , also some UH1 Work .
Now pretty much anything manufactured by Bell Helicopter . From 206's through the 429 , both single and twin-engine acft.
Where you at in Alabygodbama?

I'm at Bliss now driving the 64's. Nice to see another brother on here from the same line of work.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you for your service Sir !
My cousin was.@ Ft. Bliss years ago in communications.
I've never realy worked on the Apache much , just helped our attack Battalion guys with minor stuff while I was at Hunter Army Airfield .

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
not to mention I was born and raised in the Great state of Arkansas " Go Hogs " so it's pretty much understood I'm better looking , a hell of a lot stronger and obviously of an overall Higher intelligence than most anyone on the planet !

Alright, Butthead, get over here and clean all this Pepsi off my monitor.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Alright, Butthead, get over here and clean all this Pepsi off my monitor.
Lol ! "Loud & proud I am. !" LOL.

Sorry about the Pepsi , glad I could provide some entertainment LOL

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thank you for your service Sir !
My cousin was.@ Ft. Bliss years ago in communications.
I've never realy worked on the Apache much , just helped our attack Battalion guys with minor stuff while I was at Hunter Army Airfield .

Im pretty sure we had a very similar engine in the tank.

IMO

NorCalRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to the advice from AustinB I ordered a pair of Bilstein 5100s. I just want a more level look. What about tire size on OE wheels?

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sweet! Tire size is a whole different beast. Lots of opinions and preferences. If it were me, and only staying with a level.. I'd go 275/65r20 for sure. No rubbing, guaranteed.

IMO

NorCalRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet! Tire size is a whole different beast. Lots of opinions and preferences. If it were me, and only staying with a level.. I'd go 275/65r20 for sure. No rubbing, guaranteed.

IMO

What about backspacing on new wheels? My Ram has the OE 17x9 wheels so I'd like to upgrade, but I'm not sure about backspacing, offset, etc.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 outdoorsman and have a Quick question, and this is assuming billsteins are installed in the front at the 2.8 setting. I'm thinking about going with this setup, and I'd also like an extra inch of height in the back to have a little bit it of rake. If rear bills do not raise your truck at all, what are the advantages of using bills in the rear compared to stock? Do they have a better ride/performance when combined with a rear spacer? Or will a good quality spacer do just fine with stock shocks? I had been reading how spacers load the shock prematurely like in the other tagged threads, I'm just wondering how this effects the rear as well.

Thanks guys!

Frank

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

IMO
Agreed.
Can go with 285 but selection is more limited, Could go larger but may end up having to use spacers or trimming wheel liner.

Go too large & the tires look "stuffed", in the wheel well and begins to take away from the trucks appearance, IMO.

Tires should be part of the trucks overall look but not the focal point of the truck.

Like having an insanely huge mirror that grabbed your eye, first thing. Why?

Then again, at Christmas time, I am more a fan of single lit candle, in every window of a house versus 9K pieces of wal-mart plastic, lit up and scattered about the property.

Each his own.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ AustinB

I know the M1s and some other tanks wer powered by turbine engines , but I'm not sure what type .
I typically work on Rolls-Royce, Pratt & Whitney, Lycoming and Turbomeca Turbine engines . I think some tanks wer running G.E. Turbines, not sure , I've never worked on any tanks .

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@ AustinB

I know the M1s and some other tanks wer powered by turbine engines , but I'm not sure what type .
I typically work on Rolls-Royce, Pratt & Whitney, Lycoming and Turbomeca Turbine engines . I think some tanks wer running G.E. Turbines, not sure , I've never worked on any tanks .

Honeywell AGT1500C multi-fuel turbine engine; 1,500 shp (1,120 kW)

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Everything Bilstien Mega Thread

@NorCal.. With a 9" wide rim, you'd want a 0mm to -12mm to fit pretty much anything your height will allow.

@misuracaf, I never ran the bilstien rear shocks.. But if they're anything as good as the front, it would definitely be worth picking some up. I ran a 3/4" spacer with zero issues and I had a tiny bit of rake (front at 2.8). Sounds like you would be perfectly happy with 1" rear spacers (1" will be just fine with stock shocks).

IMO

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
RLK, I miss the sound of them things just starting up. I envy your work, knowing how much of a pita those engines can be to work on.

IMO