Factory Rake and Leveling Shock help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So I decided to go with the 5100's from the spacer kit I am running. The problem is country roads and my bumper, you can tell there is some binding going on. Minor, but you can tell it isn't right. After researching a 4x4 forum when asked between the two leveling choices, it was 10 to 1 go with the leveling shock with 350 people responding. So I'm am going to see if it helps.

Questions, what is the factory rake? 2.75?

What setting on the 5100 will level my 4x4 Ram?

Is it hard to adjust the setting?

What settings are causing the vibration? Will one off top setting be a wise choice?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I get the 4WD vibration at the 2.8" setting now. This makes the truck pulse when accelerating while in 4WD only.

It's hard to state factory rake as different years and different packages seem to have different rake. Best way to tell is measure your wheel wells all the way around. If you have spacers, subtract that from the front to know what your rake might be without them.

To change setting you have to pull the whole assembly out and get the shock out of the springs. You will need an external spring compressor, can be rented from the auto parts chains and you get it all back when you return the tool.

Most seem to get the best results at the 2.1" setting. I don't know that I've seen anyone with the vibration at the 2.1" setting yet and most seem to say it levels the truck out. My Sport wouldn't have even been level at the 2.8" setting though being it had nearly 3.5" of factory rake. Hope this helps. :)

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It helps but that isn't exactly great information. 3 1/2 inches, that is just stupid. I hate to even say it but maybe I should go up 2.1 in the front and consider cutting the springs in the back? Maybe I will live with a little rake in the truck. It looks like you still have a little rake in yours if that photo is updated? I would go with a lift but it wont fit in the garage and my wife will dis own me. A lot to think about, but I'm still going forward.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have mine set to second from the top and never had any issues with my 5100s, great shocks and great ride.

Never did measure before and after unfortunately but truck looks level to me so think it just varies from model/year/etc.

I've been posting this pic all over since 5100s are a hot topic last week or so.
20131012_125808_zps24146258.jpg

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Thanks Man that is awesome, I have a reg cab I think the same color as you. I also like the black wheels and the blue matched bumper. And yeah that looks level to me. So to clarify, you choose the 2nd possible level down? I think that was the way I was heading too. I think the extra weight of the ranch bumper may give me a little rake, but the bottom line it the truck will hopefully drive better and stop binding up on me.

Thanks for posting that picture bud, I think I am also going to plasti dip my skins black just because of how good black looks on your truck, we have nearly the same set up. That blue on chrome, I am not a fan but I got a smoking deal on my truck. I have nothing against blue, I just prefer OD green on everything. It will look better with black rims and drive better with the 5100's, so I can move on and do some modding this summer.

12754763964_991bc984bd_z.jpg

Last edited:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Yeah, have to say that is a nice color you have there on that truck. lol!

Thanks, I did more work on my truck since that picture, the chrome gas cover is plasti, the front and rear badges and 4x4 on the tailgate are also plasti. Got the chrome headlights replaced with black ones except for chrome bowls. Getting tow mirrors with paddle lights on them for my truck and going to do the grill and attempt the steps bars.

Got any other pictures of you truck? That looks like one serious front bumper you have on that truck.

Yeah, the 5100s I believe have 4 locations for this tiny little ring to sit on which holds up the entire front end of the truck. I put mine second down from the top and that is how she sits now. Very comfortable ride and love the stance my truck has now.

I don't mind a little rake in it just for when I do use the bed, it doesn't look so funny but I also rarely tow anything, more just haul crap around at times.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It helps but that isn't exactly great information. 3 1/2 inches, that is just stupid. I hate to even say it but maybe I should go up 2.1 in the front and consider cutting the springs in the back? Maybe I will live with a little rake in the truck. It looks like you still have a little rake in yours if that photo is updated? I would go with a lift but it wont fit in the garage and my wife will dis own me. A lot to think about, but I'm still going forward.

I have a Sport though. Lookin' below at the pic of your truck, I think you'll be okay at 2.1". In my sig pic I have the 1.75" rear coil spacer so that's why I still have rake. Had I left that out I'd by really close to level. I just wanted to keep some rake cause I happen to like it. Love that bumper BTW.

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got any other pictures of you truck? That looks like one serious front bumper you have on that truck.

8355821946_7a7f3a3948_z.jpg

8355819996_fd840c91d2_z.jpg

This is when I first put the bumper on, no fogs yet and the fender wasn't trimmed. To be honest it is a little too much bumper, I wish I would have went pre runner instead of the full wrap. But on country roads it gives me piece of mind as here in Nor Cal deer are like flies, they are everywhere. I also must do something with that grill! My main gripe is the ride with the spacer. I will let you know how it is driving after the 5100, from everything I've read I think it has a good chance at solving my problem on country roads. Eventually I will get bigger tires, flares, and have bedliner wrapped around the rockers, flares, bumpers.

Thanks Cruizer, I am really looking forward to the shocks. I'll post up next week.

Last edited:

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Who makes that bumper?
I would love to get a beefier bumper then the plastic one I have no but just doesn't feel right with high the bumper rides and how much tire is actually showing. Maybe it's just me? lol

Where at in Nor Cal?

Donelam304

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I'm curious about that awesome looking bumper as well. Make, model, price. That would look great on my 2014 2500 4x4.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900V) via taptalk...

OP
OP
Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Petaluma, our fame is the ugly dog contest and arm wrestling. A lot of country out here.

It's a fab fours bumper, here is the install. The problem is with the 1500 there are only a few options, most companies only make it for the 2500 and up. I prefer the simpler style, but because of the head light lines on the 1500, bumper companies have to make complicated welds to reconcile it. On the 2500's it goes straight across. If you go with the fab fours, I would look hard at the pre runner.

Yes, it will look great on a 2500, and it was 1999 shipped to my door. I had it powder coated for 450, and the lights installed for another chunk of change. Did all the other work myself.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I got 3" of rake. Got a 2" HBS kit to put on. I was surprised at how much rake I had.

Livewire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Burla, I bought a 13 ram and couldnt take the rake. Jumped on here and learned and learned, and chose to finally go with the bilsteins. bottom line is, it is the same parts mopar uses in their lift. I researched for 3 months, finally ordered and waited 4 months on backorder, finally cancelled that order from autopliciy after they moved it back for the fourth time. Ordered from someone who had their hands on it as i talked to them. Got them put them on 2.8 cause thats what every ram at the dealer has them at. No problems. As soon as got them on I ordered the rear,and a 1" TGC coil spacer. The ride is soooooooooo much better. It handles like it should. And for measurements I had a rake of 2.5 now I sit .5 higher in the back. I wanna haul from time to time. I couldnt be happier. And if you look hard enough ebay hasmopar lifts that have bilsteins without the mopar sticker on them. Almost as if the dealer got wise and ordered parts seperate to give the customer a better price. Anyway in short make sure that its "in stock" and go 4 corners, its cheaper, if you dont now you will later.

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my RAM used. It had about three inches of rake. I purchased a 2.5 front level only to find out it had a small level already on it. I have also found out my rear has been lifted a bit too (maybe they were gonna tow with it, dunno). The front lift brought me up about an inch and a half, so my rake is like an inch and a half now, weird. The tow package shows no signs of ever being used, I guess they just wanted the back a bit taller. Its ready for 35s now though.