Feel like i have minimal control. Help :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
Alright so currently my setup on my truck is a zone 6" suspention lift with fox 2.0 racing shocks in the rear, and OEM shocks in the front, and rolling on 37"s

My issue is i feel like every groove in the road every bump etc my truck just wonders back and fourth like its teatering....imm constantly like steering back and fourth like im on a race track....id like the truck to feel like its more attached to the road if that makes any sence? any ideas...could it be a balacing issue? i currently got stick weights in the front and beads in the rear.... also someone mentioned getting a ''Steering brace''?

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've run lifted half tons through one tons and that all tracked true and straight without continued steering wheel input. Saying that, does your steering wheel have play in it?

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've run lifted half tons through one tons and that all tracked true and straight without continued steering wheel input. Saying that, does your steering wheel have play in it?
slight play yeah...

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
slight play yeah...

Most likely you have worn steering components magnifying your problem. Get under there after jacking the front of the truck up and shake the crap out of all the steering components and tires up and down and side to side. Pay special attention to the steering box bolts. If everything is tight, you may have a worn steering box???

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most likely you have worn steering components magnifying your problem. Get under there after jacking the front of the truck up and shake the crap out of all the steering components and tires up and down and side to side. Pay special attention to the steering box bolts. If everything is tight, you may have a worn steering box???

like i said ..im a pure rookie... im going to need a big jack to reach the hight of this truck, but i do like your idea. ill figure something out. dont think the oem jack will reach lol.

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be the roads. Roads in Texas in Louisiana suck a$$ compared to many other states. Also how wide are your rims? The wider your wheel the more grooves it will try to catch. Could also be an alignment issue or weak ball joints/UCA not holding tight anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
if it's the steeing box, don't send it to the guy I sent mine to. He's supposed to be the "steering box guru". I found him everything but that. Hes located in the midwest somewhere. I'll try to look up his name. The replacement, rebuilt box had rust in it! I think he just painted a core box. The truck still has some wander in it, in spite of replacing everything else.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i seen a video of a guy adjusting his gear box to fix the play in the steering wheel? he did it on a 2012 dodge ram...is this something i can do on my 2015?

OUMX117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the truck is wandering I'd get the alignment checked. Too much toe out can cause this also.

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
not if it's rack and pinion steering.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am no expert but, I would take it back to the shop that installed it. If that's doesn't help, go to a different shop and get a second opinion.

Last edited: