Fox 2.0 installed. pics inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I finally got the Fox 2.0 Perfromance Series installed a couple weeks ago. I did the install myself and it all went pretty smoothly. I put the Rancho quicklift shocks on a year ago so I knew how to do the front and the little tricks to make sure it went right and fast. The rear shocks were easier than I thought they'd be. I did have to cut a 8" crescent wrench down to about 3" to get it on the drivers side upper bolt. I did not have to remove the fender wells. But I did remove most of the fasteners to make them more bendy and give me better access to the shock nuts and bolts. I also removed the rear tires for better access too.

So why did I replace the Rancho quicklift shocks after a year? The only reason is my truck still had too much of a rake. The front of my truck was still about 1.5 inches lower than the rear. I do not like trucks that are higher in the back than the front. I couldn't take it anymore and I didn't want to spend $1600 for a pair of King or Fox reservoir shocks. So these seemed like the best fit for me.
The ride with the Rancho's were good and I was happy with it. The amount of adjustment of these shocks is quite impressive. The "1" setting will provide a softer than stock ride and to simply put it, a "bouncey" ride at high speed. The "9" setting will give you a very stiff shock and ride. The shock still moves, but it will not bounce up and down unless the road does. If you're driving at 70mph+ and you hit a bumpy section, a stock ride will give you an extra controlled bounce or 2 to smooth out the ride. The "9" setting does not give you that. If you have a aftermarket, heavy front bumper, these shocks will work great! Especially on the rear of your truck and you're towing or hauling a heavy load.

The Fox shocks did exactly what I wanted, they leveled my truck. Almost exactly and right out of the box too. All 4 corners of my truck are now 40". And if they didn't level my ride, either too low or too high, its not hard to fix that with these shocks since they are ride height adjustable. They say they'll give you 0-2" of lift, I think you could go more if you wanted to. But it might give you the same problems the Bilstein shocks give some people when set at 2.8

Now for the ride.....unfortunately I haven't been out on any dirt fire roads or been off road at all since the install. But so far the ride is great! I do not think they provide a stiff harsh ride like some people on here thought they would. I actually think they are soft for the first bit of wheel travel. It feels somewhere between a truck and an old Cadillac. I hope that makes sense. There is a section of my commute that consists of going up a steep hill and at the top there is a bump in the road that you hit while turning right at 65mph. The bump that used to make me feel out of control for a split second if I'm above 65mph, is now so calm and smooth. I feel like I could drive through that section a lot faster now, while still being in control and comfortable. There are parts that I've noticed are truly a night and day difference between the Rancho and Fox. That's just one example. And remember, I had Rancho RS9000 shocks before, and they where a great improvement of stock!

Even though these are Fox entry level and least expensive shock. You wouldn't know it by looking at them. These shocks not only look great, they seem like they're extremely well made. There is nothing cheap about them. Especially the price. $429 each for the front. And $129 each for the rear shocks. But they might be the last shocks you have to buy for your truck. A complete rebuild of the shock by Fox is only $75. And to re-valve the shocks to your driving style and the ride you prefer is only $25. In my opinion, that sounds pike a good price to me. Especially since its the manufacturer thats doing the work.

I'm really looking forward to getting my truck off the pavement and seeing how these shocks perform. I will update when I do.

If attached a few pics...the first 2 are with the Rancho. Third and fourth are with the Fox

Attachments

• IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0930.jpg
    IMG_0930.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 311
OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are a few more pics of the install. I probably should have added my stock shock in the picture with the Rancho and Fox. Oh well.....
And of course these ones are sideways and I do not know how to fix it. Oh well....

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0921.jpg
    IMG_0921.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 262

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good, I'm definitely glad I decided to order these for my truck last week especially since I'm moving to Arizona in a month and will hopefully get to put them to the test out there.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! Thanks for going into detail on the review! They look great and sound like they are worth it. Where is the adjustment knob on these? On another note your truck looks good. I love the wheel choice.

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice! Thanks for going into detail on the review! They look great and sound like they are worth it. Where is the adjustment knob on these? On another note your truck looks good. I love the wheel choice.

Thanks!
The wheels are Method Race Wheels and the style is Mesh.
The adjustment knob were on my shocks I took off. Rancho Quicklift shocks. They run about $200 each. I highly recommend them if you're looking for a great stock replacement, and do not mind the very mild lift they will provide.
The Fox shocks are ride height adjustable. You adjust the ride height by giving it more or less preload on the coil. That is generally a one time adjustment too. Not something you'll be doing often because it usually involves removing the shock from the truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks good, I'm definitely glad I decided to order these for my truck last week especially since I'm moving to Arizona in a month and will hopefully get to put them to the test out there.

Thanks!
is your truck suspension currently stock? Or do you already have some sort of lift or aftermarket shocks on it?

And just remember if you're installing these yourself.....to remove the stock shocks, pull the bottom part of the shock out first. Then you can get the top half out. And its reversed for the install, get the top into place and put at least a nut on one of the studs. Then you can get the bottom of the shock into place. I'm not sure, but that might be the only way to do it.
I remember when I put the Rancho's on last year I was in a hurry and excited to get them in I forgot the proper steps and ended up struggling to get the first one in & out.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking good man, update us with some the off road manners when you get a chance. I love my Method wheels too...

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!
is your truck suspension currently stock? Or do you already have some sort of lift or aftermarket shocks on it?

And just remember if you're installing these yourself.....to remove the stock shocks, pull the bottom part of the shock out first. Then you can get the top half out. And its reversed for the install, get the top into place and put at least a nut on one of the studs. Then you can get the bottom of the shock into place. I'm not sure, but that might be the only way to do it.
I remember when I put the Rancho's on last year I was in a hurry and excited to get them in I forgot the proper steps and ended up struggling to get the first one in & out.

Currently I have a 6" lift so I purchased the longer version for the rear from BDS. For the front I'm still trying to decide if I am going to do the 2.0 coilovers or the full length 2.5s. I had ordered the 2.0 but cancelled because I'm indecisive.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sweet!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the fox 2.0 come as a set? Or sold individually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
-------UPDATE

So I've had a few chances to take these shocks to the dirt. I am very impressed with the ride and handling of the Fox shocks. I do not know how they did it, but these shocks and provide a great ride on the street and a even better ride off road. I was a bit worried that they would be too soft off road because of how smooth they are on the street. Not the case at all! They are firm, predictable, and I have zero complaints with the ride off road. I used to really feel bumps and dips (and hear them!) when I would hit them going a good speed. But not anymore. I now just float through and over them. I do not know what I was hearing before, but my ride is quieter now too.

I know I am going to offend some people with the next sentence, but so be it. I am confident in saying that you cannot achieve a ride quality like this on or off road with a Bilstein, ProComp, Rancho, or any other "lower end" shock. Using a stock coil spring and just replacing the shock only does so much for performance.
But I am also confident in saying that the more expensive Icon, Radflo, King, and Fox reservoir shocks would probably leave me in their dust on a dry dirt trail.

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No doubt the fox shocks are good. They better be for the money you pay for them. You get what you pay for.

Smxtmpr34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Put mine on a Few weeks ago, worth every dam penny. Id say the spring rates are definitely stiffer. The truck transitions through turns with much less body roll than before. And there are some steep hills by my house that level off for 10Ft then drop again.. i can run up the hill at 55-60mph, slam into the face of the next incline, and the truck just takes it, so smooth, drama free. That wouldn't have been possible to do with the stock set up.

Offroadkenny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Hey novelMike! Truck looks great. Can you provide us with your tire size and rim specs? please! Thank you!

OP
OP
novelmike

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey novelMike! Truck looks great. Can you provide us with your tire size and rim specs? please! Thank you!

Thanks! No problem!
Tires are Nitto G2 and the size is 285/75 /17
Wheels are Method Race Wheels and the style is Mesh. Size is 17x8.5 with a zero offset, and 4.75 backspacing. It makes them stick out a tiny bit, but not much. And that's exactly what I wanted!

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So this fox set up come with a coil and shock together for $400/piece for the fronts? Also can these be used in conjunction with a 6" lift?