Fox coilovers vs. bilsteins for leveling a street truck (not lifted)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is a street queen and won't be seeing any serious offroading. Mild access roads, fields and orchards will be the extent of offroading. Tires will be stock sized mild AT's

I know everyone is basically running bilstein's and are happy for the most part with the biggest things being the bilstein's ride a bit firm for some.

I am looking to gain 1" to 1.5" up front to level the truck a little while keeping some rake. I am mainly looking to upgrade the shocks as the stock ride is very nice and smooth but too smooth. To me the truck kinda wallows on some roads and seems to fall over on its self (the helwig helped this out back).

Everything I read says the Fox ride allot better over the bilstein's drawing me to go that route. I am wondering how the coil overs hold up over time (only a 1 year warranty) as well as how the front with new springs will feel with the factory rear springs.

Basically, I am just wondering if they are worth the $800+ more over the bilstein's for a street truck.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently went from Bilsteins to King 2.5 coilovers. I haven't had a chance to try them off road yet, but after a couple weeks of commuting I can definitely say the ride is better.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Due to past experiences with Bilstein sagging and some similar reviews here, I went with Fox. If I could do it over, I would have saved up another $600 and gotten Icon's instead. The Fox are nice but they are a single collar design where you basically need a press to compress the coils to adjust the preload.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Due to past experiences with Bilstein sagging and some similar reviews here, I went with Fox. If I could do it over, I would have saved up another $600 and gotten Icon's instead. The Fox are nice but they are a single collar design where you basically need a press to compress the coils to adjust the preload.

I'm looking at coilovers as well, did you have to adjust the fox before installing?...did you get 2" lift right out of the box?

Are the ICONS that much better?

I'm torn between the two.

any pics?

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The Fox 2.0s are set for 2" but swapping out my Bils at 2.1" to the Fox 2.0 it looks as though I lost some lift. I will adjust the Fox shocks eventually but it's a PIA since you have to compress the spring first.

Suspension is one of those things, generally the more you spend the better the coilover is. I have had many motorcycles and cars with Ohlins, Penske, HKS, Fortune Auto, and stock suspension systems.

ff36buell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with Kings, no complaints after 5000 miles of on and off road use. Never ran Fox or Bilstein, installed Icons on a friends and they are nice too.

Nick

Curlyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the bils 5100 set at 2.8" and love it.

0e9d22ccd96d2bc59c133a12f08aa3df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with Kings, no complaints after 5000 miles of on and off road use. Never ran Fox or Bilstein, installed Icons on a friends and they are nice too.

Nick

The Kings are real nice

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had bilsteins installed @ +2.8" for over 25k now , I offroad regularly , sometimes pretty rough 4 wheeling .
My original + 2.8" is at about + 2.5" now . I contribute the - .3" to the oem coils settling in not the Bilstien's sagging as factory coils always sag a bit after 50k or so .
Imo my bils are still better than the factory ride ever was , just my opinion though.

I have heard lots of good things about Fox & King coilovers as well as the Bilstien's 5100s here , I chose the 5100s mainly on good reviews here & price ...I personally think I made a good decision .

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
For the money I cant see going any other way than the Bilsteins and even more for a street truck.

Mine are at 2.8 and not noticed any sagging and dont expect any either.

Just need my wheels and tires now.

Attachments

• 20170709_152550.jpg
    20170709_152550.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 54

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is a street queen and won't be seeing any serious offroading. Mild access roads, fields and orchards will be the extent of offroading. Tires will be stock sized mild AT's

I know everyone is basically running bilstein's and are happy for the most part with the biggest things being the bilstein's ride a bit firm for some.

I am looking to gain 1" to 1.5" up front to level the truck a little while keeping some rake. I am mainly looking to upgrade the shocks as the stock ride is very nice and smooth but too smooth. To me the truck kinda wallows on some roads and seems to fall over on its self (the helwig helped this out back).

Everything I read says the Fox ride allot better over the bilstein's drawing me to go that route. I am wondering how the coil overs hold up over time (only a 1 year warranty) as well as how the front with new springs will feel with the factory rear springs.

Basically, I am just wondering if they are worth the $800+ more over the bilstein's for a street truck.

Sounds like you should buy neither. Go with the Rancho quicklift. They'll raise the front a little, but still keep some rake you seek. Plus they're adjustable. Twist a *** to find your daily road settings. And when its time to hit the dirt, just twist a knob. The 1 setting on the shock compared to the 9 setting is HUGE.
I look at the Fox or Bilstein choice as depends on what you're looking for. Just a level/lift or do you want a lift and a great ride on the road and offroad. You only get so much out of replacing just the shock. Much more can be had with a new shock, coil spring, and everything in between.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thmotorsports has the best price on the 6112 that I could find

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guy has some at the end of this thread.

http://www.ramforum.com/f40/rough_ride_bilsteins-105047/index4.html

I am looking at those, overkill for me but I am leaning that way.

Just spent some time on the phone with Bilstein, got some additional info on the 6112's and pointed to the real installation instructions.

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

I am really leaning this way at the moment along with the rear shocks. Very overkill but it should be exactly what I am looking for.

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well...I jumped in and bought the B8 6112 coilover kit.

Bilsteinlifts beat the price at Thmotorsports, I ended up paying $580 to my door.

These will be overkill for my use, however its a new truck and I plan to keep it a while so Might as well spend the extra on a higher performance suspension.

Not sure what I will do for the rears just yet as the remote 5165's that match the fronts are like $250 a piece and completely overkill. I will likely go with some fox 2.0's which should be a good compromise between the 5100's and the 5165's.

I will post a review when I remove the drop and install the bill's and the next 2 months.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey great, should be a good mix with the rear Fox.
I look forward to the review.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just spent some time on the phone with Bilstein, got some additional info on the 6112's and pointed to the real installation instructions.

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

I am really leaning this way at the moment along with the rear shocks. Very overkill but it should be exactly what I am looking for.

Just curious but what did they say that made you step up to the 6112's?

OP
OP
16WhiteQC

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious but what did they say that made you step up to the 6112's?

Hi,

Just saw this, sorry I didn't respond sooner.

My conversation with them was only about the 6112, I basically asked a few questions in regards to ride, winter in the salt belt and cold temp performance, ride quality.

The Tech guy also mentioned they have a guy there running them on a street truck and he loves them (might be biased a little though :naughty:).

For me it really came down to wanting more than the 5100's. At then end of this adventure I will be able to do the 6112's and Fox 2.0's out back for the same price as just the fox coil overs and have a bad ass suspension that will be drastically better then the factory stuff on the road and if I do head offroad I will be all set.

I plan to use the 1.3" setting up front to keep some rake and still be able to use it as a truck with out saggy ass syndrome. This setting should also put less stess on the stock UCA's.