Fox vs. Icon on Coil and Shock Lift/Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I've been thinking about going balls deep and getting a set of Fox 2.0 or Icon Stage 2 Coilovers in front, and matching shocks in back for my '14 1500 to start an ongoing lift project. I'd like to fit 295/60/20r Terra Grapplers, wheels will be replaced, not sure with what yet. Considering Fuel Hostages. Full 4 or 6" lift will come at a later date if I'm not completely satisfied with this set up.

I plan on keeping the truck for a while, and am moving to East **********, NM soon so I for see off-roading in the future. I want something that will be more functional than spacers or a Quiklift (I have considered the Quiklift as well and just kind of want to go a little crazier than that).

Is this a good idea? If so, what other parts will be necessary so other things don't get ******? It's my understanding I'll need to do UCA's with this and will need to increase the offset on the rims to fit the tires appropriately.

Any advice would be great.

BONUS: Pic of truck. Just got her last month.
http://i.imgur.com/ijo72lI.jpg

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Fox makes an awesome coilover and many people are happy with them. The accompanying rear shocks perform very well as well. Both would perform well on your offroading adventures. The UCA's aren't a necessity. Those tires will rub at full lock on stock wheels, something around a 0 or -12 would give you the clearance you would need not to rub.

Eric

OP
OP
sbuko213

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Fox makes an awesome coilover and many people are happy with them. The accompanying rear shocks perform very well as well. Both would perform well on your offroading adventures. The UCA's aren't a necessity. Those tires will rub at full lock on stock wheels, something around a 0 or -12 would give you the clearance you would need not to rub.

Eric

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the rear shocks are adjustable up to an 1 inch, will this help keep a slight rake? I happen to like the rake look.

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can always adjust the coil overs to maintain rake. The rear shocks work with up to 1'' of lift but are not adjustable.

Eric

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ikons are crap and have a tendency to fail. At least from my experience. I had Radflo build me some really good coilovers. Although, different application.

OP
OP
sbuko213

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Really about the Icons? I was reading some good things about them. What tends to fail?

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had Icons with my Titan. They tend to leak. Radflo's have an annoying clunk.

OP
OP
sbuko213

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I had Icons with my Titan. They tend to leak. Radflo's have an annoying clunk.

Gotch. So Fox is sounding like the better way to go. Now if I set the front coils at the full 2" can I still fit 35's? Also, since I was looking at the stage 4 kit from Icon that came with the spring for the back with the rear shock, what rear spring would be good to match the Fox rear shock?

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gotch. So Fox is sounding like the better way to go. Now if I set the front coils at the full 2" can I still fit 35's? Also, since I was looking at the stage 4 kit from Icon that came with the spring for the back with the rear shock, what rear spring would be good to match the Fox rear shock?

You will still be able to fit 35's with the proper wheel offset. You don't necessarily need to replace the rear coil springs.

biggy31

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Hemi
I was looking at doing the same thing but didn't know if I needed to get the Fox 2.5 with the reservoir and UCA to run 35s but if the 2.0 will work it will save ~$500. any info would be much appreciated

McRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No issues at all with my icons...and the ride is awesome (even on the rough roads in ********** NM). Went with +12 offset wheels, just enough clearance.

picture.php

picture.php

THRASHER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
No issues at all with my icons...and the ride is awesome (even on the rough roads in ********** NM). Went with +12 offset wheels, just enough clearance.

picture.php

picture.php

"********** NM".... Where are you located at in NM?, I live in eastern NM. Nice truck by the way, I just traded my '14 Chevy Silverado for a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie! So far I love it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gator_79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not meaning to resurrect an old thread...but this is one set-up I'm considering. ICON 1.5" dual rate springs in the back and the front coilovers set at 2" up front, I tow a boat a lot so I like the idea of the dual rate spring, and I also want to keep a slight rake so the ass end won't sag when towing. I plan on running 295/60/20 tires on a 20x9 -12 offset wheel(not sure what wheel I will chose. I will also install a pair of ICON UCA's up front to replace the stock UCA's. Any input as to the issue with ICONs leaking? Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956