Gearing..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe-C

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Prior to deploying, I became the proud owner of a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman. While out here I have purchased a 6" RCX suspension lift along with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Needless to say, I am very anxious to return stateside and have these mods put on to my rig. With all that being said.. Would any of you guys running the similar setup recommend new gears? If so, which size would you recommend? I've read mixed reviews as to why you should/shouldn't purchase new gears. So I figured I'd pose the question to my fellow forum members to settle this debate once and for all. Thanks for the help, gents!

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Prior to deploying, I became the proud owner of a 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman. While out here I have purchased a 6" RCX suspension lift along with 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. Needless to say, I am very anxious to return stateside and have these mods put on to my rig. With all that being said.. Would any of you guys running the similar setup recommend new gears? If so, which size would you recommend? I've read mixed reviews as to why you should/shouldn't purchase new gears. So I figured I'd pose the question to my fellow forum members to settle this debate once and for all. Thanks for the help, gents!

Hey man, I feel ya I'm deployed too and I've got a list of stuff I want to buy when I get back, keep me busy on my R&R. If you was to go with bigger gears I wouldn't go more than 3.92. That's all you need for your current setup anything more would be overkill. Your mpgs will thank you

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If they used the same differentials as in 12 you can only change the gearing by swapping to a front axle from 2011 and have the rear carrier machined.
My hemi with 3.55s on heavy 35s wasn't bad at all though. Not worth the money to swap to just 3.92s.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What mattman said.....in my opinion, you'll want 4.10a for 35's
4.56 would be overkill....it would be DAMN fun, but would rev too high on the freeway, causing your MPG to suck
I know as I ran 35's during winter with my 4.56 and she rev'd at 2200-2250 at 70mph
My highway MPG tanked. I'm now on 37's and won't ever do 35's again (was fun in the city though) and I'm hovering at 1950 at 70mph

So 4.10 with 35's would be perfect if you did change it
But then you'd need aftermarket fronts and you might as well do aftermarket rears as stock 4.10s doubled in price

If you need any assistance or pricing, do let me know

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
OP, I have a 6" RCX lift on my 12 with 35's and I'm in the same boat. They have not come out with the drop in gears just yet. I really dont have any complaints running the stock gears with my lift and tires. Its no speed demon, but it gets me where I need to go. With that said....... I refuse to pay the big bucks to do the axle swap for the front and the machine work in the rear to accept different gears. I will simply wait until they come out with the drop in gears.

Been to your home town of Cabot, AR. What a beautiful place!! Thank you for your service and keep us updated on your modifications.

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
May look into all terrains. My switch from toyo MTS to nitto terras made my truck a lot more bearable to drive acceleration wise. It'll put you back in the seats again.
Of course bullys could always give you a good deal on performance stuff to help offset the weight if the tires.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May look into all terrains. My switch from toyo MTS to nitto terras made my truck a lot more bearable to drive acceleration wise. It'll put you back in the seats again.
Of course bullys could always give you a good deal on performance stuff to help offset the weight if the tires.

Yea....my switch from MT to AT was dramatic too.
Its like rolling on a pineapple (MT) vs and apple (AT) if they were both perfectly round
Not as much resistance.

We can help you performance wide to obtain the increase MPG

A lot of the performance mods will mask the issue at hand.
Yes, you can run on a lower gear (numerically), but the more weight you put the more strain you put on your tranny.

But 35's with a tuner and 3.55 is ok. Add other mods...like Vararam (I added 1-1.5 MPG) just with this mod and noticed the higher end of that on the freeway as it sucks in more air.

This is how we position the vararam now. We have customers who have claimed the same increase.

Either way, let me know how we can assist

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to hijack your thread, but I guess I don't fully understand. I have 3.92's, I want to add a 4" suspension lift and put 20" wheels, but what size tires would I want? I want aggressive looking tires, but I still wanna feel the power and speed at times.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not to hijack your thread, but I guess I don't fully understand. I have 3.92's, I want to add a 4" suspension lift and put 20" wheels, but what size tires would I want? I want aggressive looking tires, but I still wanna feel the power and speed at times.

If you increase tire size by going from 33" to 35" you will have reduced take off. By switching gears you can get going better as intended by manufacturer or in my case using 4.56 with 35" you can make the vehicle take off far better than the factory setup ever allowed as low end is great. Yes my RPM are higher at highway speeds but towing is a breeze and it is an animal in town. I can still get 18 to 20 MPG on highway too.

$miley

stokes.greg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know much about Dodge gearing at, but THANK YOU FOR YOU SERVICE.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you increase tire size by going from 33" to 35" you will have reduced take off. By switching gears you can get going better as intended by manufacturer or in my case using 4.56 with 35" you can make the vehicle take off far better than the factory setup ever allowed as low end is great. Yes my RPM are higher at highway speeds but towing is a breeze and it is an animal in town. I can still get 18 to 20 MPG on highway too.

$miley

I was not able to obtain 18-20 when I ran your set up
I guess cause of my lift.
But it was fun....gotta admit that.

I think if you are not going to tow often, 4.56 and 35's may be too much for many, especially if you are on the freeway often.

When switching back to 37's my MPG increased on the freeway

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeedHead