Getting ready to tow!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mselph544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So, over the last few weeks I've been researching parts and kits to get my truck ready for those long hauls cross country with a travel trailer for work. I've been picking at forums, asking a lot of questions and all that jazz. Haven't bought the camper yet, still weighing options and waiting for the right deal to come by. Hopefully soon I'll find what I'm looking for. No matter what, my rig will be ready to handle damn near anything I throw behind it!

What I'm planning on running:
Of course if you seen me on other posts, you see I'm running a 6" RC lift w/2.2 rear shocks and 37s underneath.

I'm purchased the Total Load Control air bag system. (Bags are rated for 4000lbs, which the truck will NEVER see) This system replaces the bump stops over the axle and mount along side the springs on either side of the axle.

SAM_2133.JPG

RCSNewTopFull.jpg

Planning on running the "AirLift WirelessONE" wireless compressor/valve setup (not committed on this yet)

91uy024i75L._SL1500_.jpg

I also am waiting on the Factory Mopar integrated Trailer Brake Controller.

cd85f73cdc9f.jpg

Everything should be arriving by the end of this week, however, install will have to wait til I get back from Pennsylvania (should be a couple weeks)
Once I get the bags and everything else installed, I'm gonna see if I can find something to test pull and see how everything works together and how comfortable it is. Hoping I talk myself into getting the WirelessONE compressor kit. Having that remote to tune the bags would be pretty sweet, but I won't be changing loads that often so it probably would be practical...(I'll honestly end up getting it... :roflsquared: )

Anyway, thats what the plans are for now. Been pricing the Amp Research steps too. Pricey...but :naughty: ....yea. I want. Have to wait for another day though. Been spending too many shiny pennies lately.

OP
OP
mselph544

mselph544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Alright. So I got my Total Load Control bags in today. Wasn't gonna install them til i got the air system, but I'm an impatient person and bolted it up with the schrader valve near the recieved hitch. Got them currently aired up at 8 pounds for now, until I need to increase it for load purposes. (In the picture they are deflated) The ride isn't bad. You can feel the stiffness but it isn't that noticeable. Check it out.

Attachments

• 20160916_171728.jpg
    20160916_171728.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 108
  • received_1273660992652183.jpg
    received_1273660992652183.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 98

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So because of your lift you had to get the spacers that go under the bags right?

Everything seem pretty sturdy?

OP
OP
mselph544

mselph544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So because of your lift you had to get the spacers that go under the bags right?

Everything seem pretty sturdy?

Yes and yes.
No extra noises. Kinda weary about the bottom mounts only using one Bolt for the bracket and one for the bag. Gonna test ride a bit, may modify the mounts for peace of mind down the road.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Subscribed to this one! Like you I will probably never tow anything very heavy. I just bought a 2016 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC and it didn't even have a trailer hitch in it.

I just ordered the Draw Tite class V 15,000lb rated trailer hitch.

I plan on adding the factory integrated electric brake controller and towing mirrors eventually.

The final step will be the air bags but that will wait until we get a camper.

I had Firestone ride rite air bags in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and they worked great but dry rotted after 5 New Hampshire years. I want the Total Control kit this time.

Is the factory trailer brake kit just plug and play or do I need to go to the dealership after and have it "activated?" Is the wiring harness already behind the dash for it?

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

I plan on adding the factory integrated electric brake controller and towing mirrors eventually.

Air bags don't increase the amount you can tow. Basically, payload is your limiting factor.

Air bags might help with towing comfort and leveling. But a you should get a weight distribution hitch before bags.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2016_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

What does the sticker say on your driver's door for the payload?

Is it possible to increase the towing capacity of a truck? | HowStuffWorks

Last edited:
OP
OP
mselph544

mselph544

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Subscribed to this one! Like you I will probably never tow anything very heavy. I just bought a 2016 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC and it didn't even have a trailer hitch in it.

I had Firestone ride rite air bags in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and they worked great but dry rotted after 5 New Hampshire years. I want the Total Control kit this time.

Is the factory trailer brake kit just plug and play or do I need to go to the dealership after and have it "activated?" Is the wiring harness already behind the dash for it?

Check under your dash, right hand side above your gas pedal. There should be 2 connectors tucked off. If you have these, you're gold. The factory controller needs these. You will have to go to the dealer for them to unlock the system. But I believe they quoted me 150 for the full install and activation at my local dealer. I paid 250 for the kit.
Here's the link.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Mopar-OEM-Dodge-Ram-Integrated-Trailer-Brake-Control-Module-PRD37916.aspx

The tow bags are great. My truck sat a bit low in the rear after the 6inch lift. After adding the bags, and with my 400lbs of gear in the bed, I ride at 13.5 psi and it has never felt better. Here's a picture with the stance with the bags and work gear in the rear.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you Dexter. I would never tow anything over 5-6k lbs with out a load distribution hitch. That is a given in my book. They drastically improve the handling and load on the truck. I want the bags for leveling but also because I will be doing a lot of home renovations in the next few years and I'm sure I will be heavily loading my truck or pulling a rental tractor/skid steer and trailer now and then. That's why I want to go over kill when it comes to towing. I had the bags in my jeep and loved how it towed level with them and handeled that much better then with just a LDH.

Thanks for the I for mselph544 I appreciate it. I was planning on installing the brake controller myself and just having the dealership activate/unlock it. I will check for those plugs in the morning. Praying they are there. Otherwise I'll be buying an aftermarket brake controller again. (Just sold one last summer doh)

I found all the towing parts here

http://www.mopar.com/ram/1500/2016/?trim=377519

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Good news, I checked my truck this morning and I have the 2 plugs for the electric brakes. I'll order the module and have the dealership unlock the program