HBS 2.5 level and 5100 Strut combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a quick question. My level kit and Bilstein 5100 struts came in today. When setting up the struts with the HBS level kit, do I want to set the struts at the 2.8" line or leave it at the stock 0 line for the spring seats?

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
set them at 0 or bad things will happen with a level... i suggest set them at 2.8 and sell the hbs kit

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Not a good idea to use as a combo..i agree set them at 2.8 to level the truck and sell the hbs kit

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
set them at 0 or bad things will happen with a level... i suggest set them at 2.8 and sell the hbs kit

I should have looked on youtube before buying both, lol, I just found a video from ORW that shows the difference. I was just thinking exactly what you're recommending.

TNhemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can't return the HBS, I would be happy to buy at a discount rate:naughty:

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked at the HBS return policy, they'll charge me a 20% restocking fee either way, so TN Hemi if you want it, I'll send it to you for $65.

TNhemi12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at the HBS return policy, they'll charge me a 20% restocking fee either way, so TN Hemi if you want it, I'll send it to you for $65.

How much for shipping to 37917?

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Hey, OP, your sig says Outdoorsman... When you put the 5100 at the 2.8 setting is that a 2.5in lift, or a 2.8in lift?

A 2.5 level kit (which would put you at the same height) is not recommended for your truck due to the use of a different strut. If the 5100 goes to 2.8in I think you would be wise to set it no higher than 2.5in, or even slightly lower.

Not saying this from experience, just from research I have been looking at. I have an Outdoorsman, and bought a 2in level kit to avoid the problem. If the 5100 were adjustable while installed I would have bought those, and turned them up as I pulled off the pavement, but since you can't I didn't really see the point.

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, OP, your sig says Outdoorsman... When you put the 5100 at the 2.8 setting is that a 2.5in lift, or a 2.8in lift?

A 2.5 level kit (which would put you at the same height) is not recommended for your truck due to the use of a different strut. If the 5100 goes to 2.8in I think you would be wise to set it no higher than 2.5in, or even slightly lower.

Not saying this from experience, just from research I have been looking at. I have an Outdoorsman, and bought a 2in level kit to avoid the problem. If the 5100 were adjustable while installed I would have bought those, and turned them up as I pulled off the pavement, but since you can't I didn't really see the point.

I do have an Outdoorsman. Where did you see any difference in the strut used? To my knowledge, the crew cab Outdoorsman still uses the SLT suspension.

There are 5 options on the 5100,

Stock, .7", 1.4", 2.1" and 2.8" The paperwork says these are typical ride heights but they may be influenced by the vehicle suspension.

From what I've seen on here, members are able to achieve a 2.5" lift by setting the Bilstein's in the top most setting (2.8").

Anyone else know something about this question?

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put it at 2.8 because they will settle a little bit also. I had them on my 3rd gen at 2.8" and it was perfect.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
On the Outdoorsman topic, you will notice that your shocks have red covers. Not sure why lol, but also the part number on the strut is the same as the strut from the previous TRX4 trim level. It increases the ride height of the truck supposedly by 0.7in over other models, but due to optioning, and a smaller tire this is not always measurably true.

The one thing that it does do is increase the angle of your CV joints which once they reach a certain limit can cause them to vibrate, and wear out more quickly. The Bilstein shocks seem like a good option but you may want to bear this in mind if you choose to install them.

Maybe put them all the way up, and try to drive for a couple days before getting an alignment to see if you feel any wobble in, and out of 4x4. If you don't then leave them, get your alignment, and I wish you the best of luck down the road lol.

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the Outdoorsman topic, you will notice that your shocks have red covers. Not sure why lol, but also the part number on the strut is the same as the strut from the previous TRX4 trim level. It increases the ride height of the truck supposedly by 0.7in over other models, but due to optioning, and a smaller tire this is not always measurably true.

The one thing that it does do is increase the angle of your CV joints which once they reach a certain limit can cause them to vibrate, and wear out more quickly. The Bilstein shocks seem like a good option but you may want to bear this in mind if you choose to install them.

Maybe put them all the way up, and try to drive for a couple days before getting an alignment to see if you feel any wobble in, and out of 4x4. If you don't then leave them, get your alignment, and I wish you the best of luck down the road lol.

Hmmm... I went out and looked, my struts are red, I'll have to look up the P/N tomorrow. So looking at the Bilstein info, the .7 lift is the TRX suspension stock height. So I should be able to come up to the 1.4 then for the 2.5 total lift I'm thinking. I understand the angle of the CV joints issues. Just trying to figure out where to set these struts. Either way I'm going to put them in, should be a better ride regardless.

Thanks for the heads up though! :favorites13:

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
No worries. I originally wanted to go with them since I figured I would set them like you are talking about, and then crank them up to go off road, but since they have to be removed to be adjusted I decided it wasn't worth it. Either way you should post up your results as I would be interested to hear how it works out!!

Best of luck!

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No worries. I originally wanted to go with them since I figured I would set them like you are talking about, and then crank them up to go off road, but since they have to be removed to be adjusted I decided it wasn't worth it. Either way you should post up your results as I would be interested to hear how it works out!!

Best of luck!

Will do. I'm going to wait another week so I can get the rear's too and I'll do them all at once. I'll post up pics and any issues I run into.

FLEX1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi
I should have looked on youtube before buying both, lol, I just found a video from ORW that shows the difference. I was just thinking exactly what you're recommending.

Could you PM me the link to this video? I can't find it on YouTube. Thanks.