Heavy duty Coilovers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Im trying to get some info on which coilovers i should get for my heavy front end. 500+ pound bumper/winch

I have bils right now which still run fine but the settles quite a lot and give me a stock looking rake. Id probably be hitting stock height if i had the stock shocks lol.

Anyone have any info on which brand will hold the most weight up? Or are they all the same? Should i email some manufactures to see how much i would get ***** getting a heavier duty rated coilover?

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
hmmm yeah they make heavy duty rear springs, maybe they could make a heavy duty front spring and i could kind of make my own coil over.

I dont want the ride to be harsh though since i do use it offroad a lot. I would like something that handles big bumps and ditches rather then it feeling like a hit a brick wall

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Or it could be cheaper to just change bumpers.. Like the nfab prerunner style. Would be a hell of a lot lighter.

IMO

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They dont look as appealing as what you have.. But better clearance, lighter, better mpg. There's other brands too that make nicer ones but for around $2500 lol. Just throwing this out there, not questioning your intelligence.
136a561b536de3c0372e810150fdc187.jpgf8f9ca9da5100236631ed6be04dc92ba.jpg

IMO

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anyone have any info on which brand will hold the most weight up? Or are they all the same? Should i email some manufactures to see how much i would get ***** getting a heavier duty rated coilover?

Coilovers are just a shock mounted inside a spring. The spring supports the entire weight of the vehicle and the shock dampens spring movement so you don't bounce forever when you hit a bump. That being said any coilover can be supplied with a higher spring rate (300 lbs/in instead of 250 lbs/in) to prevent sag or account for heavy bumpers etc. Alternatively you could just get a longer spring and keep the same spring rate. When loaded up it will settle back to desired height.

As far as shocks go you will want a shock with a little tighter valving to slow down the extra weight faster. If you really want the best (and full disclosure I am biased if you look into my signature) call Thuren Fabrication and tell him what you want and he will design the coilover for your truck and have King manufacturer to his standards. My kit has front coilovers to level the truck and new rear shocks to keep the front and rear behaving the same. You're probably looking around $1,500 to $1,800 for the fronts and another $1,000 for the rear shocks to match. If you use your truck off road this is by far the best way to go.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Or it could be cheaper to just change bumpers.. Like the nfab prerunner style. Would be a hell of a lot lighter.

IMO

yeah i always thought about getting a bumper like that but they were either really expensive with a winch mount or would cost a ton to make one and i need a winch. + i dont think it would go with the look of my truck now

Coilovers are just a shock mounted inside a spring. The spring supports the entire weight of the vehicle and the shock dampens spring movement so you don't bounce forever when you hit a bump. That being said any coilover can be supplied with a higher spring rate (300 lbs/in instead of 250 lbs/in) to prevent sag or account for heavy bumpers etc. Alternatively you could just get a longer spring and keep the same spring rate. When loaded up it will settle back to desired height.

As far as shocks go you will want a shock with a little tighter valving to slow down the extra weight faster. If you really want the best (and full disclosure I am biased if you look into my signature) call Thuren Fabrication and tell him what you want and he will design the coilover for your truck and have King manufacturer to his standards. My kit has front coilovers to level the truck and new rear shocks to keep the front and rear behaving the same. You're probably looking around $1,500 to $1,800 for the fronts and another $1,000 for the rear shocks to match. If you use your truck off road this is by far the best way to go.

Ill give them a email and see what they say

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So to piggy back on this, to beef up my suspension some more. Im waiting for thuren to give me some feedback on what I need.

But I was thinking, what about king bump stops also.
Anyone get a set of those to work on the rear in place of the stock bump stops?
I figure I could get a little more suspension travel before the springs bottom out, maybe get rid of the extenders plates that came with the superlift.

I know for the front ifs I'll either need to get a custom bracket made to bolt on or weld.

5f0d3920a60361f267ed459f5af0b8e0.jpg

I figure if I do those custom king shocks plus properly set up king bump stops I will be able to handle higher speeds off road and if I catch some small air I won't feel like my truck will fall apart along with my back.

I know it won't be any pre runner lift going on but hopefully it'll be a lot better

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The extender plates are there to keep the suspension and you cv's from overextending. You can mod the entire front suspension all you want but the stock cv's won't survive.

might need to contact RCV about some customs cv's!

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What do you mean by extender plate? The extender plate is on the rear for the stock bump stops?

No extender plate on the front, a bump stop and strap might do it well I think. Like the above picture

But maybe I could get custom shafts also to get a little more extension. I'm not sure how much more flex the mevo techs have over stock. Or which ucas how the most motion

Last edited:

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mistake, I was thinking bump stops up front. The air bumps are great to keep you from smacking the bottom of the suspension travel but honestly if your looking for that kind of performance and travel the "off the shelf" kits are not the best option, long travel is what you're wanting. I guess my $0.02 is no matter what you do to the front to gain travel, the stock cv's are gonna be the biggest hold back. Not sure how much more travel you'd net buy disconnecting the sway bar but having to use limit straps.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm not necessarily looking to gain travel. I'm looking more to make the ride while going higher speed and potentially catching some air less deadly and painful.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear ya! I'd def look at air bumps if you intend on leaving the ground or going that fast.........and really good bypass shocks!

Did I mention I'll ride shotgun anytime?!

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I figure if I do those custom king shocks plus properly set up king bump stops I will be able to handle higher speeds off road and if I catch some small air I won't feel like my truck will fall apart along with my back.

I know it won't be any pre runner lift going on but hopefully it'll be a lot better

The air bumps are basically anther spring to gradually increase resistance before you stack your coils. The custom King shocks will give you the best off road ride possible and come with foam blocks on the shaft. If you seriously are thinking about catching air then the air bumps are worth it. If you're going to try to keep all 4 on the floor and occasionally not succeed I'd just stick the foam bumps. The biggest difference is durability the air bump will perform the same day in and day out, the foams will break down over time with usage.

OP
OP
kg93

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The air bumps are basically anther spring to gradually increase resistance before you stack your coils. The custom King shocks will give you the best off road ride possible and come with foam blocks on the shaft. If you seriously are thinking about catching air then the air bumps are worth it. If you're going to try to keep all 4 on the floor and occasionally not succeed I'd just stick the foam bumps. The biggest difference is durability the air bump will perform the same day in and day out, the foams will break down over time with usage.

yeah i figure if im going to get custom king shocks i might as well go all out and get that extra protection. You never know if someone dares me to hit something..they might come in handy :roflsquared:

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You never know if someone dares me to hit something..they might come in handy
The best and worst things in history have always followed 2 words... Watch This!