HELP! Deployed and planning a lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So here is the issue. I have my 2012 Ram 1500 CC sitting at home still new with only 4k miles.

I have been reading and reading on lift and tires and wheels ect ect. I am on the fence because I know I want a 6' RCX lift but not sure if I want 35 or 37's also if I want to add the front shocks and rear spacer for extra lift for 37's I know gears are a HUGE issue right now and I beleive I have the stock 3.55's. I have a CAI only and will want to add performance and tuner when I get the lift. I just dont know what 37's would be like. Let me here suggestions. GO!

Last edited:

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Ooh, definately have to do the gears in the not-so-distant future to help turn those big meats. I'm kinda wanting to do the same thing and here's my plan:

6 inch lift (BDS)
Rear Spacer (If needed)
bilstein shocks set to 2.1
37 toyo's

I believe the 6 inch lift should clear 37's just fine, as there's guys out there doing 37's with just 4 inch lifts. I'm not sure about the RCX kit, as far as how much rake will still be left, but the billsteins should level out the front pretty well. Again I'm still learning, so hopefully someone will chime in with some better ideas.

Congrats on the lift plans though! And thank you for your service!

Last edited:

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing as how the rcx seems to be a true six, and you plan on adding the bilsteins you shouldn't have a problem fitting 37's. you just need to make sure you get aftermarket rims with the right offset. I suggest a 10" wide rim with -24mm offset and 37"x12.5" tires.

As for gears I'm in the same boat. I have around 11" of lift with 37x13.5" tires while running the 3.55. Unfortunately though Chrysler decided to weld in the damn gears on the front axle so you have to swap it out with one from an 09-11. Once I can afford this though I'm throwin in some 4.88's seeing as how all my driving is in the city

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
^what they all said. haha.. Where are you deployed too right now?

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So here is the issue. I have my 2012 Ram 1500 CC sitting at home still new with only 4k miles.

I have been reading and reading on lift and tires and wheels ect ect. I am on the fence because I know I want a 6' RCX lift but not sure if I want 35 or 37's also if I want to add the front shocks and rear spacer for extra lift for 37's I know gears are a HUGE issue right now and I beleive I have the stock 3.55's. I have a CAI only and will want to add performance and tuner when I get the lift. I just dont know what 37's would be like. Let me here suggestions. GO!

Seeing as how the rcx seems to be a true six, and you plan on adding the bilsteins you shouldn't have a problem fitting 37's. you just need to make sure you get aftermarket rims with the right offset. I suggest a 10" wide rim with -24mm offset and 37"x12.5" tires.

As for gears I'm in the same boat. I have around 11" of lift with 37x13.5" tires while running the 3.55. Unfortunately though Chrysler decided to weld in the damn gears on the front axle so you have to swap it out with one from an 09-11. Once I can afford this though I'm throwin in some 4.88's seeing as how all my driving is in the city

if you are going to do a 6" lift and 37's and will run 20x10, -24 offset with 37x13.5" tire, you will require those Bilsteins set to 2.1 and nothing less as you will rub for sure on the lower from bumper valence.
That being said, if you go with a 5" backspace rim and 12.5" wide tire (Nitto Trail) it will fit without the Bilsteins and no rubbing.

But the -24 offset rim does look better IMO!
Gears? Not mandatory at this point, but you will want to look into it as the truck becomes a dog.
I had 3.55 gears prior to my gear swap and I hated it. I parked the truck more than I drove it simply because gas was HORRID and the lack of get up power was ever present.
Id stick with 35's unless you really dont care about the power issue and slightly more of an MPG loss

Many here do it......I just could not do it.
2 weeks like that and it was enough for me......LOL

Cole, as for the 4.88's....I wish there was 4.88 for our trucks, otherwise that is what I would have went with.
only 2wd guys can do 4.88. us 4wd are stuck with 4.56

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahhhh dammit Andrew I was having a good day and you just had to ruin it didn't you? Lol

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ahhhh dammit Andrew I was having a good day and you just had to ruin it didn't you? Lol

Sorry bro! :Good or Bad:
didnt intend to do that, but had to make sure you knew it. but you never know....maybe there will be 4.88's for the front by then. If there is, I may switch over.....haha

But 4.56 is FAR BETTER than your 3.55's.
TRUST ME!

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry bro! :Good or Bad:
didnt intend to do that, but had to make sure you knew it. but you never know....maybe there will be 4.88's for the front by then. If there is, I may switch over.....haha

But 4.56 is FAR BETTER than your 3.55's.
TRUST ME!

Lol we have til summer but I'm so ready to ditch these 3.55's. they just ain't cuttin it

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol we have til summer but I'm so ready to ditch these 3.55's. they just ain't cuttin it

I bet!
Not sure how you lasted this long :hidesbehindsofa:

OP
OP
S

scmowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EJMO5---Im in Afghanistan right now. Just over 2 months left till im home!

I do mostly freeay driving with some city. I want the toyo's 13.5 with a 20x10 wheel with -24 offset. I just have noooooo idea about rubbing or trimming. I will add Diablo tuner, 87mm tb, mag y pipe with a flowmaster muffler. Already have the CAI. I was hoping to increase some HP so it wouldnt be a dog as much lol. Still MPG's are kind of important..... I mean the best I can get for having 37's hahhaahh

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
EJMO5---Im in Afghanistan right now. Just over 2 months left till im home!

I do mostly freeay driving with some city. I want the toyo's 13.5 with a 20x10 wheel with -24 offset. I just have noooooo idea about rubbing or trimming. I will add Diablo tuner, 87mm tb, mag y pipe with a flowmaster muffler. Already have the CAI. I was hoping to increase some HP so it wouldnt be a dog as much lol. Still MPG's are kind of important..... I mean the best I can get for having 37's hahhaahh

You might wanna look for 4.10's then, maybe keep some drive ability but still upgrade, just a thought even though everyone's gonna tell you 4.56 lol

OP
OP
S

scmowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even to swap for 4.10's id still have ro change out the axle in the front correct?

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might wanna look for 4.10's then, maybe keep some drive ability but still upgrade, just a thought even though everyone's gonna tell you 4.56 lol

You know why I push 4.56 vs 4.10? Simple....
with 4.10 and 37's the effective gear ratio brings you back down to 3.55. But now that the truck is lifted and on MT tires you are fighting wind resistance and rolling resistance and the truck will not act the same as stock and 3.55.
Heck, 4.56 and 37's dont either. But they are better.
Plus 3.55 stock is already pretty bad for doing anything other than be a daily driver.
Man, towing (IMO) sucked. The HEMI has no problem, but the hunt for gears is brutal and MPG suck balls.

Documents and gear charts say 4.10s but its always better to step up one more.
As mentioned, if there were 4.88's I would have that instead of 4.56

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even to swap for 4.10's id still have ro change out the axle in the front correct?

You certainly would. The rear you can grab from the dealer but the front you will still have to do the same work as going 4.56
Thats why I say, go 4.56

OP
OP
S

scmowry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldnt even know where to start with when switching axles..let alone the price tag on that lol

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldnt even know where to start with when switching axles..let alone the price tag on that lol

A proper gear shop can help you out with what you need or even help you source the front diff assembly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota