Help for lifting and starting a new build!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum but enjoy reading all the different threads. I got a 2016 RAM 1500 Longhorn that I'm ready to start getting some work on.

I'm looking at around a 4" lift and 35" tires and keep my 20" stock rims (not completely sure about keeping them or getting new ones). I just have no idea of what kind of lift kits are popular and good quality, what tires are a good fit since I want the aggressive off road look but driving mostly on road. And I want the tires to have an offset but I just don't know enough and would really appreciate all help and also good places to get it done at. I live at the west coast so there are places like Les Schwab and Discount tire that I know of.
Also looking at getting fender flares for tire offset. Thanks a lot!! Here are some pics of my truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 102

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Great looking truck first off, if your truck is a 4x4 BDS and Zone are popular around here becuase they are extremely high quality, they are more expensive but when it comes to suspension, and pretty much everything you get what you pay for. When it comes to tires and rims, rims are what gives you the offset not tires, tires will give your width. Anyways welcome to the forum and there are a ton of guys out here that can offer more great advice!

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks man. Awesome. I forgot to mention, it's 4x4. I've been reading about people having Bilstein's, is that something that comes with the lift kit usually or do I need that if I don't go off roading a lot? I've been looking at MT Deegan 38's, Toyo R/T's and Nitto Terra G2's. What do you think?

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Just for reference, this was my dads 2012 1500 4x4 Laramie Longhorn. It had a BDS 4 inch kit, sat perfectly level, rode like a dream. The tires are BFG KO 285/65r20

Attachments

• user13099_pic10238_1370974469.jpg
    user13099_pic10238_1370974469.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 95
  • user13099_pic10240_1370974469.jpg
    user13099_pic10240_1370974469.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 137
  • user13099_pic10239_1370974469.jpg
    user13099_pic10239_1370974469.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 124

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Thanks man. Awesome. I forgot to mention, it's 4x4. I've been reading about people having Bilstein's, is that something that comes with the lift kit usually or do I need that if I don't go off roading a lot? I've been looking at MT Deegan 38's, Toyo R/T's and Nitto Terra G2's. What do you think?

Tires are a preference thing, a lot of guys have many opinions on tires based on looks, tread life, noise and wear. I haven't owned any of those tires so i cannot comment. Bilstein's are an option you can get separate from the lift kit. And no, it is not something you need, they can offer and adjustable ride height on top of the lift to offer more ground clearance if wanted.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
And just to help you get an idea of looks, this is my truck a 2014 2wd with a 4.5 inch lift with the same tires and XD Monster 2 wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0217.jpg
    IMG_0217.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 118

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree, but don't count out superlift! Shop for product warranty and customer service, and you'll be just fine with any of those 3 lifts.

I just bought my first set of cooper discoverer stt pro tires and I love them!! I'm picky too, so that says a lot.

IMO

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tires are a preference thing, a lot of guys have many opinions on tires based on looks, tread life, noise and wear. I haven't owned any of those tires so i cannot comment. Bilstein's are an option you can get separate from the lift kit. And no, it is not something you need, they can offer and adjustable ride height on top of the lift to offer more ground clearance if wanted.

Sweet man. Thanks. When I've got some new shoes and lift on the girl I'll put some more pics up and continue reading. As far as spacing goes, I can get 35" tires and get spacers on all 4 tires together with fender flares to make it sit wider?

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
I agree, but don't count out superlift! Shop for product warranty and customer service, and you'll be just fine with any of those 3 lifts.

I just bought my first set of cooper discoverer stt pro tires and I love them!! I'm picky too, so that says a lot.

IMO

Oh yes, there are many great lift companies I was just stating the one's im familiar with. From what I've heard superlift is another great company that makes a good product.

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
Sweet man. Thanks. When I've got some new shoes and lift on the girl I'll put some more pics up and continue reading. As far as spacing goes, I can get 35" tires and get spacers on all 4 tires together with fender flares to make it sit wider?

Yes that should work, I'm not certain if it will rub or not but for spacers go with BORLA. Spacers is not something to mess with and Borla is the only company I know of that makes a dependable spacer.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good looking truck. I can comment on the Deegan 38s. The look was something that drew me to them but also their on road attributes since they're on my daily driver. They're noticeably quieter than Nitto Trail Graps and BFG Mud Terrains I've had in the past, still pretty aggressive and do well off road too.

Only had them 10k miles, so far so good but can't really comment on durability just yet.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh yes, there are many great lift companies I was just stating the one's im familiar with. From what I've heard superlift is another great company that makes a good product.

Thanks people. Got some more info now. BDS, Zone or Superlift is what I'll go with..

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just some extra info.. Both mickey thompson and cooper tires will be the same effect (A/T vs A/T and M/T vs M/T) you would just be shopping for the tread pattern you like the most.. Its the only difference between the two. Hope that makes sense.. Cooper owns Mickey Thompson.

IMO

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good looking truck. I can comment on the Deegan 38s. The look was something that drew me to them but also their on road attributes since they're on my daily driver. They're noticeably quieter than Nitto Trail Graps and BFG Mud Terrains I've had in the past, still pretty aggressive and do well off road too.

Only had them 10k miles, so far so good but can't really comment on durability just yet.

I like the Deegan's. Thanks for the feedback dude.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ah sorry.. Those are the last rims I would pick.

If you're lifting.. You should highly consider not going any smaller than 18" wheels unless you have 4.5" backspacing.

IMO

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think 20" rims look just right with 35s and 37s.

As far as wheels if I was choosing right now I really don't know what I'd go with. Fuel Mavericks are a favorite of mine but they're on trucks and jeeps everywhere so if you want unique those aren't it. The majority of rims out now have studs around the lip which doesn't do a whole lot for me. I actually think the Rockstar 2s would be a really cool set of wheels and would probably put them on my truck in a heartbeat if they weren't Rockstars. Just something about Rockstars that seems kinda *******. Without the big ass star center cap they're a sick all black rim.

Depending on your budget there's some pretty nice and fairly classic American Force wheels out now but very expensive.

OP
OP
PDXRam

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think 20" rims look just right with 35s and 37s.

As far as wheels if I was choosing right now I really don't know what I'd go with. Fuel Mavericks are a favorite of mine but they're on trucks and jeeps everywhere so if you want unique those aren't it. The majority of rims out now have studs around the lip which doesn't do a whole lot for me. I actually think the Rockstar 2s would be a really cool set of wheels and would probably put them on my truck in a heartbeat if they weren't Rockstars. Just something about Rockstars that seems kinda *******. Without the big ass star center cap they're a sick all black rim.

Depending on your budget there's some pretty nice and fairly classic American Force wheels out now but very expensive.

I'm thinking 20" rims too with 35" tires. I kind of like the Fuel Assaults but I don't know if that sits well with a Longhorn... I'll look into the American Force wheels - thanks! So for now I'm thinking a 4" BDS lift and most likely Fuel 20" rims with 35" Toyo tires with matching fender flares. What kind of wheel spacing for all tires can I put with that..?