Help, noise after Bilstein 5100 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I go over small bumps in the road I'm feeling a thumping in my floor board on both driver side and passenger. Everything is tight and torqued down to spec. Had an alignment done and I had the shop go over everything and they said it was good to go. The coil is seated in properly in the both spring seats. I really don't want to take the struts out if I can be avoided. Any input would help, thanks.

OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What was it?

Driver side top strut mount was on the coil wrong. It was properly seated but it had to be spun 180 degrees. When I pulled the strut out you could tell it was wrong. The rubber gasket and the top mount was pushed over to one side of te coil. Sucked pulling out the strut but atleast I'm not hearing a midget tap dancing on my floor board

sevanitus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed a rough country 2.5" level and i am having kinda the same noise on my driver side only...could it be a similar problem? The noise is driving me crazy.

OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed a rough country 2.5" level and i am having kinda the same noise on my driver side only...could it be a similar problem? The noise is driving me crazy.

It's hard to say, I would make sure everything is tight and not loose. Make sure the middle nut on the strut is sucked down and not free floating. If everything checks out then I would take it out and look at it. You will be able to tell if it was installed 180 out because everything will be pushed to one side instead of bein centered. Hope this helps.

ryan888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's hard to say, I would make sure everything is tight and not loose. Make sure the middle nut on the strut is sucked down and not free floating. If everything checks out then I would take it out and look at it. You will be able to tell if it was installed 180 out because everything will be pushed to one side instead of bein centered. Hope this helps.

im guessing this is what happened with mine, would i have to take the strut right out to tell if is 180 degrees out, cuz im not sure what you mean with everything being pushed to one side, Thanks

OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im guessing this is what happened with mine, would i have to take the strut right out to tell if is 180 degrees out, cuz im not sure what you mean with everything being pushed to one side, Thanks

Unfortunatly you will have to take the whole strut out. Because ou won't be able to see it bc of how it sits in the pocket.

OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you feeling a thumping in the floor boards or just hearing a rattling noise?

ryan888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you feeling a thumping in the floor boards or just hearing a rattling noise?

just hearing the thumping not so much feeling it, just sounds odd when i hit pot holes, so it doesnt matter how the coil sits at the bottom or how its turned, thanks for the help

Last edited:
OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just hearing the thumping not so much feeling it, just sounds odd when i hit pot holes, so it doesnt matter how the coil sits at the bottom or how its turned, thanks for the help

I wish I would have taken a pic of it when I pulled it out. It would be easier to see it then me describing it. Your problem sounds exactly how mine was. Just take the strut out and look at it. Their will be a big side that transitions to the smaller side. It's supposed to conform to the spring. What I mean by 180 out is your going to want to compress the spring and spin the top 180 so the rubber is sitting on the coil right. If this doesn't fix the problem then idk, thats what I did. I'm sure if you pulled it out and took it to have it looked at they would tell you if it was right or wrong. I hope this helps

ryan888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wish I would have taken a pic of it when I pulled it out. It would be easier to see it then me describing it. Your problem sounds exactly how mine was. Just take the strut out and look at it. Their will be a big side that transitions to the smaller side. It's supposed to conform to the spring. What I mean by 180 out is your going to want to compress the spring and spin the top 180 so the rubber is sitting on the coil right. If this doesn't fix the problem then idk, thats what I did. I'm sure if you pulled it out and took it to have it looked at they would tell you if it was right or wrong. I hope this helps

Alright I think I no what you mean, ill look into doing that , thanks for all the help

sevanitus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a rattle after i did my rough country level and it ended up being my steering knuckle on the right side had come loose... the whole time i hear the noise it sounded like it was on the left side... i looked and looked and couldnt find anything so then i just checked the other side and thats what it was... i went and got a new nylon locking nut and its been fine since.