HELP...tire rub with lift and 35" tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my Ram is at the dealer having a 4" Mopar lift installed along with 20x10 Fuel Hostage -24mm offset and Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5r20's. The service manager just called and told me that the front right tire is rubbing the fender when turning back to the right. He said the tires don't rub when driving straight or actually turning to the right, but only when turning the wheel back to the right. I obviously can't send the tires and rims back now because they've been mounted and driven on, so new tires and rims are out. I also can't afford to do another lift.

Is it likely that the tire isn't actually hitting the fender but the wheel well? Or if it is the fender, would Bushwacker fender flares cover up what has to be trimmed off? If it's the wheel well, I can easily fix that myself I'm sure, but if it's the actual fender I have no clue how I would fix this and cover it up.

I googled what I am asking and didn't get any hits, also searched on the site and didn't see anything either. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm kinda freaking out since I don't know what to do or how to fix it.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
HELP...tire rub with lift and 35" tires

Lets refrain from calling it a "mopar" lift, and just say overpriced Superlift.

Really hard for anyone to give you an answer when you don't even know where it's rubbing, or where you "may" need to trim.

I highly doubt the wheels show any sign at all of being mounted unless they've been driven on.

Unless someone has had this same exact issue, it'll all be guesses and what ifs until you can take a pic or at min, see it for yourself.

IMO

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
It shouldn't be rubbing with that setup however if it is, it will only be on the plastic fender liner, not the fender itself. Easily fixed with a bit of trimming or tying back the inner fender.

Has the truck been aligned yet? If not, it's possible that the caster isn't set right and the wheel/tire is too far back in the wheel well causing the issue.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I don't think they did the alignment yet, which is why I wasn't able to pick it up today. I'm really hoping it's the plastic fender liner since as you said, it should fit fine with the setup. I did a ton of research before buying everything to ensure no rub, so it's really disheartening to hear there is one.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
Lets refrain from calling it a "mopar" lift, and just say overpriced Superlift.

Really hard for anyone to give you an answer when you don't even know where it's rubbing, or where you "may" need to trim.

I highly doubt the wheels show any sign at all of being mounted unless they've been driven on.

Unless someone has had this same exact issue, it'll all be guesses and what ifs until you can take a pic or at min, see it for yourself.

IMO
why do you guys keep jumping all over guys for getting mopar lifts? get over it for **** sakes.it's getting old.the op doesn't need you telling him he "overpaid" on his lift. maybe try answering his question with some useful info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why do you guys keep jumping all over guys for getting mopar lifts? get over it for **** sakes.it's getting old.the op doesn't need you telling him he "overpaid" on his lift. maybe try answering his question with some useful info.

Thanks. I'm already used to it even though it's only been 2 weeks. I agree with you, it'd be nice if people would drop it. I unfortunately have a dealer that was going to be extra crappy about warranty stuff unless it was a "Mopar" lift. While I wasn't happy to have to get a 4" or pay more for the re-brand, keeping the people who do free repairs on your new truck happy is important to me. While I already know they can't deny warranty stuff under moss-mag and other laws/rules...sometimes avoiding a headache means putting on big boy pants and "over paying." It also is worth it since they do a lifetime powertrain program as long as you agree to have them do the oil and filter changes.

One thing I realized during my research phase was that no matter what you do, people think you're an idiot if you pay more than they did for anything. Fortunately for me I had a $14,000 budget to get the lift, tires, rims, and multiple other things done. I had already put aside $7,500 for the lift, tires and rims and even though it's the expensive superlift...I'm still under that budget.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I have a factory mopar lift on my truck as well and I'm glad I got it cuz even my lift is covered in my lifetime warranty!

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what size tires are you running? If they are 35's on 20x10 rims did you have any rub at all? And yes, having everything under warranty is so worth the additional money.

BigSexyBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 dodge ram quad express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine rubbed in reverse too, who cares lol

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you know people here are going to talk about getting ripped off for buying a "mopar" lift why even mention it? It would be better to simply say you got a 4" Superlift which is exactly what it is. I'm not going to bash you for buying your lift wherever you buy it from but others will. So be prepared to deal with the consequences if you decide to mention it.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

This is a hypocritical comment, as it doesn't answer his question, or give useful information.

Here is some... Superlift covers any warranty work that the dealer refuses.

IMO

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I had hoped for maturity, but mostly was in a moment of frustration over the rub and forgot it would rile people up haha. In the future I will more than likely just not even give a brand but say 4" lift instead, it truly was a moment of rage and my brain being more concerned over the issue than the mini-wars it starts when you say the M word and lift in the same sentence hahaha.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If they in fact did not do the alignment before telling you that the wheels are rubbing.. I would find that hilarious.

But **** happens.. Live and learn. I don't care as much as some of the sensitive folks think I do. It's not my money.

IMO

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That lift looks pretty good on your truck. Do you have the 3.92 diff or 3.21? I have the 3.21 with 8 speed and am wondering if it would be fine with a lift and 35s.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll actually call them idiots if they didn't do the alignment before telling me that. The service manager said the steering wheel is off a bit so they need to make some adjustments still...that sounds like alignment issues to me. Maybe they didn't do a very good alignment, or something has enough play that it's knocking it out of alignment, I don't know...I just don't want rub. The reason I haven't picked it up yet is because they still have to recalibrate the speedo, fix the steering wheel issue and he mentioned something else...I just kinda lost my attention once I heard the word rub mentioned.

Honestly, I get why people say stuff about the Mopar lift being a re-branded super lift. However, more than likely anyone that is buyin a Mopar lift already knows that and is doing it for a specific reason and doesn't mind the re-branding. I think it's more the fact that people are arguing or bringing it up that is the issue. We're all Ram owners so our main focus should be on making fun of Ford, Chevy, or Yota guys not each other haha.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I did the Bilstein...but maybe I shouldn't admit to paying more for that too haha.

OP
OP
RAMblin1217

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That lift looks pretty good on your truck. Do you have the 3.92 diff or 3.21? I have the 3.21 with 8 speed and am wondering if it would be fine with a lift and 35s.

I have the 3.21, I haven't personally driven it yet since they are still working on it. I did a ton of research before pulling the trigger on the lift and tires and everything I saw said that with the 8-speed it's okay. People basically said the 8-speed puts out enough torque in the first 2 gears that it's fine, however once you get up to 8th speed it may slip in and out at high speeds. If I had a 6 speed I definitely would have re-geared to a 4.55 though. I am only going to be using the truck around town, so high speed stuff is not going to be much of a worry for me. I also have a CTS2 Evolution tuner, so if it does act weird I'll just put a tune on it.