Here's my plan, pick it apart....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
My wife has essentially taken over my 2012 so I'm selling my Rubicon Friday and plan to order a 2017 RCSB 4x4 Hemi next week. I'm going with a RCSB this time as I need it to fit into my garage and its more likely to be left alone meaning I can keep the miles low. My plan is to install a 6/5 Zone lift and 37's. I have a set of Bilstein's sitting in the garage that I bought for my 2012 but never got around to installing them, I don't know if I can use them on a 2017 or not.

A few questions.....

1. Any issue with 37's on a 2017 with 3.92 gears? I'm not concerned with speed or economy so much but I will probably have occasion to do some light/medium towing from time to time.

2. Is anyone running a 6" with 37's and still parks in a garage? Wondering it it'll fit through the door or not. This won't be a daily driver and I have a 60gal 2 stage compressor so if I need to air down to get it in there that isn't a big deal. It'll actually make it more difficult for the wife to get it out :roflsquared:

3. I'd say I'm a modertely skilled shade tree mechanic, what is the degree of difficulty installing a 6/5 Zone lift? Sure wouldn't be a bad thing to save the money doing it myself.

4. I know there were some issues with UCA ball joints popping with lifts, is that still an issue? I'm not a big offroader, the worst it'll probably see will be driving around one of the farms we hunt to pick up a deer or pull a trailer with an ATV and implements on it. Should I install replacement UCA's?

Any input is appreciated. I figure I'll have at least six weeks to tuck money away and buy the lift/wheels/tires while I wait for a new truck to be delivered.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife has essentially taken over my 2012 so I'm selling my Rubicon Friday and plan to order a 2017 RCSB 4x4 Hemi next week. I'm going with a RCSB this time as I need it to fit into my garage and its more likely to be left alone meaning I can keep the miles low. My plan is to install a 6/5 Zone lift and 37's. I have a set of Bilstein's sitting in the garage that I bought for my 2012 but never got around to installing them, I don't know if I can use them on a 2017 or not.

A few questions.....

1. Any issue with 37's on a 2017 with 3.92 gears? I'm not concerned with speed or economy so much but I will probably have occasion to do some light/medium towing from time to time.

2. Is anyone running a 6" with 37's and still parks in a garage? Wondering it it'll fit through the door or not. This won't be a daily driver and I have a 60gal 2 stage compressor so if I need to air down to get it in there that isn't a big deal. It'll actually make it more difficult for the wife to get it out :roflsquared:

3. I'd say I'm a modertely skilled shade tree mechanic, what is the degree of difficulty installing a 6/5 Zone lift? Sure wouldn't be a bad thing to save the money doing it myself.

4. I know there were some issues with UCA ball joints popping with lifts, is that still an issue? I'm not a big offroader, the worst it'll probably see will be driving around one of the farms we hunt to pick up a deer or pull a trailer with an ATV and implements on it. Should I install replacement UCA's?

Any input is appreciated. I figure I'll have at least six weeks to tuck money away and buy the lift/wheels/tires while I wait for a new truck to be delivered.

The install process can be somewhat easy depending on who's doing it. I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word, and I wouldn't be able to do it. My 6" was installed at the dealer to avoid me breaking it. However, looking at the sheer number of parts my kit came with, I don't think it's " doable ". I also don't have 37" tires, but I can tell you all the 7" signs my shark fin hits. I'm going to say you're likely not going to fit with such large tires, and lift. you'd have another 2 inches on me, and like I said, I hit everything.

I tow 7500 pounds pretty regularly, i've had no issues. I've got about 6k miles with 7500 pounds behind me, so it's not a lot, but no issues as of yet. My dealer installed my stuff, and it's still all covered under warranty, including the ball joints. I had a spring shatter, and they replaced it, I had airbags and all my lift components installed, i'd assume everything else would be covered, except for a lift part specifically.

Good luck!

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed my 6" superlift in my garage. Then I had to air the tires down to get it out of the garage. That was stock tires. It's doable, I am pretty good in a garage as well. With the 37's though, it's not even close. It'll stay outside the rest of its life. You'll have to look but I don't think they recommend a 6" lift on a regular cab. It's vibrates I think.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Thanks Gents, I hadn't heard about 6" and RCSB having vibration issues but I can see where it would be possible. If I have to a 4" with 35's would do I reckon.

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
First concern off the bat is that you may not be able to get a ram with a 6" lift and 37's into your garage because of clearance. Check that out first. How much clearance do you have on your 2012? Could you ballpark off that?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I have a 7.5 and 5 in the rear on a rcsb and only thing needed is a longer driveshaft other than that drives perfect no vibrations and I installed myself wasn't to hard if you know tools and have patience and a big jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandon.colt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'll give you my stats followed by my experience.

2012 Ram 1500 QC/RB 4x4 5.7 3.92
6" PrpComp lift w/ 2.75 MX6 adjustable coil overs
37" MT2 tires
18" wheels w/ -12 offset

As far as fitting in the garage, that'll never happen again (for me) not even aired down. I installed the lift myself, I was quoted $2500 labor. It was hard to hold back laughter. The install took me about three days but this was the first time I lifted a truck and making sure I did everything right was more important than getting done quickly. Also this was in my driveway so no fancy vehicle lift. While putting everything back together I went ahead and installed the mevotech UCA's, while it may not have been necessary, I figured it to be an inexpensive piece of assurance while everything was apart anyhow. I also installed a T-1000 about two weeks prior to installing the lift so that I when I installed the new tires, I could tell the computer it's turning 37's. That and it's running the 93oct canned tune. With the tune and 3.92s, the truck is running just fine. Still has plenty of get up and I'm not worried at all about hooking up my trailer with two Polaris ATV's. I haven't towed anything yet since install because I need to get an 8" drop hitch. Hope this info helps.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Looking at the numbers Ram provides online, a RCSB is supposed to be 75.2" in stock form. Adding 6" for the lift and 2" for the tires brings it to just under 7'. Are those numbers not reliable? I'm not doubting anyone's experience, just curiosity on my part.

I appreciate the help fellas.

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 4" lift and 34.2" tires on my CC and barely fir into a 7' garage. maybe an inch of clearance.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
Looks like I'll probably end up with a 4" & 35's.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
RCSB, it would look and handle sooooooooo much better lowered, just my 2cents. You asked?

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
You couldn't pay me to drive a lowered truck. Fine for those who like them but it's definitely not my speed.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's all good, but you did ask, just trying to give you some solid advise. To each his own, but I hear fat chicks prefer lifted trucks so you'll have that going for 'ya.:roflsquared:

Dangulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2wd 2015 CC has
Maxtrac 7" lift
20x10 wheels
35x12.5 nittos

I fit with a 1/2" in 7' garages. Anything lower and off comes the shark fin.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot will depend on your garage door, and the approach too your garage.
I've got a 2012 with 6" and 35's, and fit in my garage with about 1.5" to spare. 37's would only add 1" overall height, and I could probably still fit, but I don't have the shark fin antenna.

OP
OP
Phylodog

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
My plans might be changing. I've always wanted a Cummins even though I have zero "need" for one. I fell in love with diesels when I was in the Army. I may be able to swing a regular cab 2500 Cummins and put a Kelderman air suspension on it. That would allow me to drop a 6" lift down to 1" to get it into the garage. It's a hell of a lot of money but it would likely last me 20 years or more with the limited use it would get.

Something along these lines would suit me just fine....

dbb88ed2ae0ade5ba90ee1e5c9b6de09.jpg

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
That looks and sounds awesome I like when the long beds are lifted.