How much will 3 inch lift accelerate wear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aftershock00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hello fellas, I need some insight from those more knowledgeable and I did a search but couldn't find what I'm looking for...
I currently have a mint condition 08 ram 2500 Cummins Laramie 4x4 with 70k miles on it. Last fall I installed a 3" lift using thuren springs and other respectable brand components for track bar, control arms, etc. I am going to be in the market for a new truck within 6 months (after my wedding)and the plan is to buy a 2018 2500 Laramie Cummins 4wd. I plan on keeping this truck for 8 to ten years, and it will not be my daily driver so it'll be used less than 10k miles per year. The truck is used as more of a toy/weekend getaways/side jobs/motorcycle carrier to the track/towing RV kind of way. I'm not hauling 40 ft lowboys like some of you guys on the regular like some of you guys. The truck sees about 80% highway and 20 % dirt road/snow/light off roading to hunting spots.

My questions for you guys is I love the look of the 3" lift, but wanted to know realistically how bad it is for the truck wear and tear wise. I think it's clear that I don't NEED any lift, but I do prefer one as I think it gives the truck a sexy stance, has better visibility driving on highway , and with a quality kit can actually improve the ride over stock. I'll probably be putting 34's on it as 35's just seem like too much rotating mass and increased wear. That's pretty much what I have now 33.8 nitto terra grappler g2

With 10" lifts out there, I always just assumed a measly 3" level/lift was so mild/inconsequential as far as increased strain and wear and tear, but now I'm second guessing myself.

So set me straight fellas. How does a 2" level or 3" lift affect drivetrain and front end/chassis as far as strain, wear and tear, durability, and longevity???

I still want to be able to put the pedal to the floor every once in a while and enjoy it like a hot rod , and it still want to haul or tow something that is decently in its towing capability range. I don't want my new truck to feel like a sloppy w%ore in four years (40k miles)because the parts wore out prematurely .

Ps, I would get getting a carli, thuren, or bds kit, so it'd be done right.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i wouldnt over think it. youll be fine. i will say that 34's and a 3" lift on a 2500 is going to look a little small. id go for the 35's.

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i wouldnt over think it. youll be fine. i will say that 34's and a 3" lift on a 2500 is going to look a little small. id go for the 35's.

Could fit 37's even I bet

OP
OP
A

Aftershock00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well on my 08 I had 285/75r18 34.8" for about six months after doing the lift, and I actually sold them and took a hit $ to get my 33.8's. Surprisingly, nitto tg g2 in 35's measure 34.5 according to tg, so these were slightly taller. I loved the look, but there were some issues in drive ability with my 3.73's...
Unless I put the truck in tow/haul, it would up shift too early into 5th and 6th and really lug the motor. It would shift into 6th and put me at 1k rpms... Which didn't feel right, and that was as an empty truck. I even used my bullydog to adjust the speedo, but that didn't really alleviate the issue.

Next is stopping. I know the new gens are more robust, so maybe the brakes are better, but I felt the braking was very compromised with my 35's on 18's. One time I had to stop short for a light, and I think that's how I warped my front rotors.

Additionally, since the truck came stock with pretty small tires, I felt that the height and width of the tire would really strain the ball joints and power steering.

Lastly, although I had absolutely no rubbing with my setup, the diameter of the tire was barely less than the distance of the wheel well from front to back, which could cause an issue during suspension travel where the middle of tire (the full diameter)would be aligned with the bottom of wheel well.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I take pride in taking care of my stuff and like to keep everything feeling tight. I always like to find the happy medium and I don't want my truck to self destruct for the sake of a lift.

That being said, if you guys say it's really not a big deal, then that settles it.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
bigger, heavier tires are going to put more strain on the steering and suspension components compared to stock wheels and tires. thats just how it is. its not a big enough deal that i would worry about it. your not going to destroy a front end in 40k because of it. these trucks are pretty stout. not to mention that your probably splitting hairs between the 34's and 35's that i would go for the bigger tire.