How to tell difference between Bils set at 2.1 vs 2.8?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syntec

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
H5.7
This might be a noob question but I had my Bils installed and when I mentioned to the mechanic I want them set at 2.1" the phone call after the install did not re-ensure me he installed Bilsteins before...

"Yeah I set them at 2" anything more than that the ride could be harsher." :boxed:

Wheel alignment done, driving the truck now and seems there is no issues, ride is smooth.

Without taking it back to shop, is there a way I can ensure they were set at 2.1?

Pics of truck coming soon.

(truck is 2014 1500 Sport 4x4)

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
not sure if you can see the grooves once they are installed to tell. Another way would have been to have before and after measurements. I can tell you that with mine installed at 2.1 I still have about 1" of rake and if I installed them at 2.8 there would be barely any rake.

Measure fromr the center of the wheel straight up to the fender on the front and back...what is the difference?

OP
OP
S

Syntec

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
H5.7
not sure if you can see the grooves once they are installed to tell. Another way would have been to have before and after measurements. I can tell you that with mine installed at 2.1 I still have about 1" of rake and if I installed them at 2.8 there would be barely any rake.

Measure fromr the center of the wheel straight up to the fender on the front and back...what is the difference?

Ok ill get measurements after work.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
This might be a noob question but I had my Bils installed and when I mentioned to the mechanic I want them set at 2.1" the phone call after the install did not re-ensure me he installed Bilsteins before...

"Yeah I set them at 2" anything more than that the ride could be harsher." :boxed:

Wheel alignment done, driving the truck now and seems there is no issues, ride is smooth.

Without taking it back to shop, is there a way I can ensure they were set at 2.1?

Pics of truck coming soon.

(truck is 2014 1500 Sport 4x4)

Also never go back to that mechanic, it's not his decision what to set your truck at because he feels the ride would be harsh..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpittman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't trust my installer to get it right, so I set them myself before I took them to him to get installed. Told him they were preset and not to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am getting mine done Thur.

I figure some mechs might see the 2.8 setting as the level setting. The 2.1 is the line on the shock before the top line. My back wheel well sits about 40" off the ground. The front about 37" with stock tires. So if your rear and front wheel well height on yours is less than 1/2" diff I would bet he put it at 2.8