Installed BDS 6" lift. FOX 2.0 shocks are way to soft.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just wanted to post my experience with the BDS lift and the FOX 2.0 shocks. I know the BDS lift is probably overpriced for what you get but I decided to go with it anyway. Some of the reason I went with the BDS was that I wanted the FOX shocks. I have no complaints with the kit itself, It fit perfect and was well made. The instructions were horrible in my opinion. I had the Bilstein 5100 shocks already so I kept them in the front and installed the FOX 2.0 in the rear. I installed the rear lift first and noticed right away that the shocks seemed to have no damping at all. The back of the truck basically bounced up and down like the shocks were blown. I went ahead and installed the front of the lift the next day got it aligned and took it for a drive. It was absolutely horrible every time you would hit undulations in the road the truck bounced up and down like it had no shocks. When pulling into my driveway it would bounce up and down at least two times when I went up the curb. It was horrible the truck did not feel safe if you made any sudden movement when you were doing over 50 MPH the ass end would try to wash out on you. I called the place I bought the lift from and at first he kept telling me how great the FOX shocks work and I agree with him they are a wonderful product and I'm not trying to put them down at all. I made a video of me pushing on the bumper bouncing the truck and sent it to him. He called me back the next day and said that they have had another complaint of somebody that put the shocks on a RAM and they did the same thing my truck did. He said they use that shock other applications and is probably not necessarily valved for a Ram pickup with coil spring suspension. I took the shocks off and put my Bilsteins back on and the truck drives perfect and handles great. I just wanted to post this for anybody else considering putting the fox 2.0 shocks part number BDS-8250 on there truck to be aware of this. I am not sure if they are all all like this but mine were. The way my truck was before I took the FOX shocks off was not safe if you had to make any type of sudden movement doing any type of speed the truck was not stable. I am now going to
figure out what shocks to use in the rear permanently since Bilstein doesn't make a shock long enough for my lift.

Last edited:

The DodgeFather

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love the fox look but love the durability of the 5100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine feel kind of soft as well. Btw, Bils 33-185569 with bushing kit 77-87027 from Superlift is what you're after.

OP
OP
Ricks Ram

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine feel kind of soft as well. Btw, Bils 33-185569 with bushing kit 77-87027 from Superlift is what you're after.

Thanks for the information. I would really like to keep the Bilstein shocks. I have been very happy with them. I have the general specs on the length of the FOX. I will look into ordering them and trying to get the correct bushings. After I switch out the bushings is it a pretty strait foward fit? I am thinking I may be able to use the bushings from the 5100 shocks I have now.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the information. I would really like to keep the Bilstein shocks. I have been very happy with them. I have the general specs on the length of the FOX. I will look into ordering them and trying to get the correct bushings. After I switch out the bushings is it a pretty strait foward fit? I am thinking I may be able to use the bushings from the 5100 shocks I have now.

That's the route I'm probably going to go once I get my use out of the Fox's. It's the exact setup that comes with Superlift suspension lifts for the Rams so they'll bolt up no problem with those bushings. I'm pretty sure you can't use your current bushings, as those shocks I listed aren't Ram specific. If it makes you feel any better I gave those part #'s to my buddy with a Zone lift and he's all good.

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Having BDS kit installed with 2.5'' coilovers in the front and 2.0'' in the rear, but have no problems with at all. No bouncing..

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure but maybe the pre-load needs to be adjusted? It should be to the correct amount but anythings possible (Trump did get elected!) If its not at the right length, then your ride will be very soft and bouncy.
Do not quote me on this:
The measurement is supposed to be 7" from the spring collar down to the end of the shock. You should be able to get the measurements while they're still on the truck. If its less than 7", I'd bet that is the problem.