Level and Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Hey guys, I'm new to owning a truck - I bought a 2012 RAM 1500 Sport 4wd a few weeks ago. I don't like the rake on the truck, and definitely want to get it leveled but I also want to lift it some. I'd really like to put a 6" RCX Lift on it but I don't want to shell out that much money yet (maybe in a year or two). I've seen that leveling kits, Bilstein 5100s, and body lifts are reasonably priced but I have a few questions about them.

- Would you recommend a level kit (such as RCX) over the Bilstein 5100s or vice versa? What are the pros/cons of each?
- If I get Bilsteins, do I get rears also, or just fronts?
- I've seen 1.25" and 3" body lifts, what are there any cons to doing a big body lift like the 3" over an actual lift kit? I won't be going off road much.
- I intend to keep the stock 20x9 sport rims and tires (until they're worn out), do they look small/bad with the truck leveled/lifted with the above options?

Thanks for the help!

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
This is exactly what I went through when deciding what route I wanted to go. Personally I love my 3" body lift, the Rams hide them well! Cant even tell I have one. As for the leveling of the truck I went with an HBS kit, only like $80. Go Bilsteins if you want to spend a little more money, still levels the truck while upgrading your shock. As far as price point youll be saving around $1k going the level/body lift route rather than a 6" lift/level route. And you said you wouldnt be going offroading much and neither will I, thats why I went with a body lift!..As far as keeping your stockers, they wont look bad with a level..but throw on a body lift and they will be tiny lol.

To give you an idea heres mine, 2.5" HBS level, 3" body lift and 35x12.50x20 Nitto Trails

DSCN0549-Copy_zps7d233bac.jpg

DSCN0553-Copy_zps635949bb.jpg

DSCN0550-Copy_zps417ca702.jpg

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I've been thinking it over and I think I'm going to start with the Bilsteins. Later I'll decide if I want to go wtih a 6" lift or 3" body (or both :D). With the Bilsteins, we only need to get the front ones and set them to 2.8 for a level correct? Do I need to do anything in the rear? And down the road if I get a 6" RCX, I can still use the Bilsteins correct?

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Bilsteins are a good start! And they can be used combined with a 6" lift! Set them at 2.8" and youll be level!

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Do the rear Bilstein's provide any value? From looking at their site they appear to add 1" to the back of the truck. Do most do front only or front/back? With the fronts at 2.8 I don't want to have the front sit higher than the back, either level or rear slightly higher.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
The rears may provide .5" of lift and its not needed but youd be upgrading your shocks if you did. All up to you but if you did the fronts and set them at 2.8 youd be level.

Thor09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do the rear Bilstein's provide any value? From looking at their site they appear to add 1" to the back of the truck. Do most do front only or front/back? With the fronts at 2.8 I don't want to have the front sit higher than the back, either level or rear slightly higher.

Best thing to do is measure your front vs the rear and see what your factory rake is. Most trucks are around 3" so if you maxed the bilsteins, you'll be level. If you only have like a 2" rake, then maxing the bilsteins will put you nose high.

OP
OP
jsteinm1

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Best thing to do is measure your front vs the rear and see what your factory rake is. Most trucks are around 3" so if you maxed the bilsteins, you'll be level. If you only have like a 2" rake, then maxing the bilsteins will put you nose high.

36 and 39.25...Bilsteins will be perfect :D