Level or maybe lift new Ram, (Venting)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am out of the country and just venting a bit.

Recently bought a Limited with airbags. By the time I do the BDS lift wheels and tires and a couple others things expense was getting up over $7k Which I was happy to spend. But I had truck fever so bad I forgot to make sure the Limited Crew with 6'3" bed would fit in my garage, it does not.

I am out of the country often enough that I need to garage the truck when I am gone. (I guess) Battled in my head back and forth, going to loose money and trade the Limited for a Sport Crew with the 5'7" bed.

So i figure lift it too on 35s. The air bag lift for the Limited was going to be way more complicated and more money. kit was $2100 now it will be about $1400

I told my super lifted truck freak friend and he tells me not to do it.

He says I will like the way it looks but not the way it drives.

Tells me I like taking off too fast and its not going to really do it. My gas mileage will be noticeably worse and more wear and tear on the suspension.

He recommends I just level it and put 33' on it.. I thought well maybe do that first.

I like the Fuel "Pump" wheels a lot. But just now realize the stock tire appear to already be 33" I guess a Toya Rt will look a little more aggressive but not any bigger.

He will still put on any lift and tires I want but insist I will not like driving it.

Got me wondering a bit. The completed loaded Gray Sport I am looking at MSRP is $54300. They have agreed to sell it for $42. hmm.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yes I was more or less just venting about my situation.

Perhaps others have lifted their truck and got bigger tires only to realize the quick starts not as nice as they would like it to be so then they end up changing gears etc

I guess the specific question is are people satisfied with the way the truck moves out with 35s?

Is the reducrd gas mileage really a big deal?

Is there wear and tear significant enough to be a big deal?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
its all pretty subjective. if you like a lifted truck, these are all trade off's that dont bother you. if your somebody the likes the almost car like handling of a stock 1500, how fast it is and how good the fuel economy can be, then a lifted truck with bigger tires isnt for you.

an 8spd truck with 3.92 gears on 35's still moves pretty damn well, imo. id expect a 3mpg loss. added wear and tear from the 35's isnt a big deal.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You feel 3.21 with 35s would noticeably suck?

adboyd06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I have a leveled sport with 295/65R20 essentially 35s x 11.5in with 3.92s. Acceleration is slightly hindered and MPGs definitely dropped 2-3. BUT for a truck it still hauls ass. Start with the Bilstein level at 2.1" or 2.8" with a 1" rear spacer add 295/65R20 or 35x12.5 Toyo RT tires . You will not be disappointed.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Whats frustrating is I think I found the perfect Sport Crew it has every option they offer at a good price. But the gears are 3.21 I do not not tow much so towing not a issue. But if I am going to put 35s on there then I may not like it if the start is sluggish. If in fact the consensus is it will be. I personally do not know.

There are very few Gray loaded Sport crews out there with in 250 of my house.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You feel 3.21 with 35s would noticeably suck?

its probably not terrible, but 3.92's would be the way to go if you havent bought the truck yet. you won't regret 3.92's....you might regret 3.21's.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I went to 34s and leveled the truck with Thurens King Shocks and the ride is superior to stock in every way. I do vaguely remember the truck needing a little more throttle after the tire swap but if you stick with a gasser there are plenty of ways to recover such a small change.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I considering 34s but Toyo 34 is not 12.5 tire something thinner.

Supoosedly 34 is a odd size and most pop brands offer it less than 12.5.
How about yours?

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bigger tires = more weight and bigger lift = more wind resistance. So yes you will trade some acceleration and mpg for looks no matter which way you cut it, the laws of physics are immune to people's opinions on performance. It's up to you to decide whether you're ok with that or not, you're the only one who can make that call. If it were me and I was on the highway for an hour round trip commute every day I would most certainly would not but if you only have a 10 minute drive to work? Guess that wouldn't matter then, unless you count road trips.

Hitman0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3.21's with 37's

If you are concerned about not having power still with 35's and 3.21... trust me when i say you will still have plenty of power. I had the toyo ATII in 35's and could still smoke my tires if I wanted to. I have upgraded my tires since and to Pro Comp AT Sport 37's. I never did like my Toyos from the start and the Pro Comps I absolutely love. To be honest the ProComps are lighter as well and have a much better warranty. I must say that I have always had a programmer on my truck.

Recap 37's with 3.21's a little sluggish not much though no complaints
35's with 3.21's not sluggish at all plenty of power

Yes I am the idiot that just said screw it and tried it out. No regrets with my 37's.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Completely happy with my 37's....screw acceleration. It's a truck.

Considered going down to 35's next time around but said nahhhh..EVERYBODY has 35's lol

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks very encouraging. I was thinking lev on 33" but maybe just go right for the lift and 35" Just need to pick the lift. Only 3" or 4"

Thanks

joeygster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Bright White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats frustrating is I think I found the perfect Sport Crew it has every option they offer at a good price. But the gears are 3.21 I do not not tow much so towing not a issue. But if I am going to put 35s on there then I may not like it if the start is sluggish. If in fact the consensus is it will be. I personally do not know.

There are very few Gray loaded Sport crews out there with in 250 of my house.

While I was shopping for my truck, I test drove a 2016 Sport Crew at the dealership. It had the 3.21 gears, 35" Cooper STT Pro's, & was levelled.

It did not have the get up & go I was looking for. The 3.21 gears weren't struggling to get it going & keep it going, but the acceleration was lackluster to say the least.

For me the only way to go with 35's & any sort of lift/level was the 3.92 gears.

It's all personal preference, but I think that you're looking to retain some of the performance that the Hemi is famous for.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks very encouraging. I was thinking lev on 33" but maybe just go right for the lift and 35" Just need to pick the lift. Only 3" or 4"

Thanks

Make sure you really think it through if you're going to lift. I was recently toying with the idea myself until I went to a parking garage last week. I'm just levelled on 33's and the pipes and ducts on the ceiling in there were making me very nervous :doh2:
Granted, that was just one occasion in over a year but when that one occasion is a loved one in a hospital it mattered to me, I really didn't need any more curve balls thrown at me.

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

How about yours?

They are right around 11.5. I'd like to go up to 35's and maybe I will if I ever get the time to tighten down my coilovers but realistically I'm driving 25,000 miles a year and even working on the property or out in the pasture I never get stuck where I needed the extra width for traction so its just not worht the extra weight for me.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

How about yours?

I have the Toyo ATii extremes in 34x11.50. I am not yet leveled but intend to in the spring, needed tires but was too cold to do the level when i bought the truck. I do notice a slight decrease in acceleration but the difference is so nominal and... its a truck. I too was hesitant about the 11.50 but never been in a situation where that extra inch made a difference, and i have taken the truck through some pretty thick Alaska clay/mud and never once worried i wasnt driving it out.

IMG_2314_zpsjsfgzjlh.jpg

IMG_2317_zps5rakxy7v.jpg

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I went in another different direction altogether, I went R/T (shorter lighter better acceleration) and then lowered it professionally (better toss ability). As far as fitting in the garage when having our retirement home built I had the garage lengthened so that the next buyer can fit any kind of truck they want to put in there.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went in another different direction altogether, I went R/T (shorter lighter better acceleration) and then lowered it professionally (better toss ability). As far as fitting in the garage when having our retirement home built I had the garage lengthened so that the next buyer can fit any kind of truck they want to put in there.

wow TOTALLY different direction haha, post up some pics when you get a chance