Leveled truck just too many problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nursenick06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for taking the time to draw this out and responding! I'll double check and see if the same thing is happening to me. I would have suspected the mechanics that looked at it today would have discovered this had it been happening, but who knows!

I haven't had mine at the mechanics, but I take my tires in for rotation every 3-5k and get my oil changes and multi-point inspections/lubes/greases/fluids all at the same place and they've never said anything about it. Even had an alignment there last fall. I finally just figured out what that noise was a couple of weeks ago after I started looking for it. Weird thing is that it disappears when I put it in 4 Lock, but I think it's maybe because the output shaft starts rotating the same as the axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge This

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not that this helps any, but I grabbed my phone and did a quick recording of the sound when stopping. Sometimes it happens every time other times I have to work at it to get it to happen.

I checked the play in the CV Joints, without searching the forum how much play should a guy have in them?

Noise Clip 1
Noise Clip 2

I had a sound similar to that develop on my 4Runner after putting a lift on it and it ended up being the cam bolt on the lower control arm being a bit loose. It didn't make the noise all the time, but in certain situations, like yours, it made it. Not sure if that's the case with your truck, but they do have to adjust those to align the truck after leveling it.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it seems that it only does it when you hit the brakes?

Does it do that same noise over bumpers with no brakes being pressed?

It's a pretty good loud clapping noise.

It's either in the strut or a possible brake pad??

That is not a sway bar noise.

It almost sounds like a axle shaft though - pretty soild..

I just got my 1500.. doing some research on leveling and tires. Your thread is scaring me :(

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
That sound definitely isn't suspension related, it does sound like a pad is slipping or caliper is loose. Have someone stand at each tire and listen to see witch one it's coming from then you can start your elimination process. You can also jack up the truck and spin the tires by hand and have somebody press the brakes.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it seems that it only does it when you hit the brakes?

Does it do that same noise over bumpers with no brakes being pressed?

It's a pretty good loud clapping noise.

It's either in the strut or a possible brake pad??

That is not a sway bar noise.

It almost sounds like a axle shaft though - pretty soild..

I just got my 1500.. doing some research on leveling and tires. Your thread is scaring me :(

I don't notice any noises over bumps. I can even stand on the front bumper and bounce the front end and get no strange noises.

I do however get a noise very similar to the braking clack sometimes when turning pretty sharp.

I've double checked the tightness of the brake calipers and everything is tight. Outside of checking the tightness I'm not real sure what else to do with the brake calipers.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a sound similar to that develop on my 4Runner after putting a lift on it and it ended up being the cam bolt on the lower control arm being a bit loose. It didn't make the noise all the time, but in certain situations, like yours, it made it. Not sure if that's the case with your truck, but they do have to adjust those to align the truck after leveling it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being something with the alignment as well. While I didn't drive it much before I got it aligned I really didn't notice the noise start until after it was aligned.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got it back from the shop and they really couldn't pinpoint any one thing that was going on. They did say that my LCA bushings are cracked, and that the lower ball joint is nearing the need of replacing. He wasn't a fan of the Suspension Maxx Sway Bar End Links either. If I read between the lines correctly he was hesitant that any one of these items was causing my noise, and really thought I should drop it to the 1.4 setting.

So I came home and went to work. Pulled the tires, loosened the sway bar frame bolts, removed the sway bar end link nuts, pulled the calipers, removed the upper shock nuts, removed the tie rod nut, removed the Upper Ball Joint Nut, and removed the lower shock bolt. Pulled the shock, compressed the spring, and moved it down one notch to 1.4. Put everything back together and took it for a drive. First thing was to see if I could get the brake clack in my garage, and Nope not there. Then took it down the road doing all the things that I previously had done to get it to sing to me, and sure enough was not able to reproduce the noise. I'm optimistic, but don't want to speak too loudly until I get a few more miles logged on it, and get it aligned.

It's looking like 2.1 was just too much for my truck. I'm bummed, but happy that I had options with the Bilstein's to go down to 1.4. I was previously nose high and @ 1.4 I am sitting as level as anyone can get.

Now to decide if I should replace the LCA or keep driving it. 97k miles with MN winters. What do you guys think? Is it time to replace the LCA?

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Your definitely on to something there. Makes quite a bit of sense too and to me it's discouraging among other design flaws on these trucks.

I'm getting to the point right now in which I'm deciding if I should trade my truck in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your definitely on to something there. Makes quite a bit of sense too and to me it's discouraging among other design flaws on these trucks.

I'm getting to the point right now in which I'm deciding if I should trade my truck in.

What other design flaws are you referencing?

I have to admit prior to this Dodge I was a GM guy 100%. However, my Ram has been exceptionally good to me for the first 97k miles. I guess we shall see how she is after the first 100k.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You know the Ram is a strong and powerful truck, however i struggle to understand why a 4x4 truck would have a completely electronic power steering system (my steering shorted out when moving around during Hurricane Harvey).

Besides that I don't what engineer convinced production that coil springs is a great idea in the rear.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know the Ram is a strong and powerful truck, however i struggle to understand why a 4x4 truck would have a completely electronic power steering system (my steering shorted out when moving around during Hurricane Harvey).

Besides that I don't what engineer convinced production that coil springs is a great idea in the rear.

The engineer that was told they needed to make a truck ride as smooth as a car. :) I have to admit I am not impressed with the rear coils or at least I am not impressed when I hook up to a trailer. I plan to throw bags into my 09 to assist with pulling a trailer.

The coils screw us on payload, and with my 09 I am screwed on tow capacities as well, at least compared to the 2010 numbers. Many guys state to just use the 2010 numbers, but the payload is still poor, and from a legality standpoint I have to stick to the 2009 numbers which are not overly impressive.

However, as I continue to read on the forums I think I am happy I have an 09 and not some of the newer models. I've read of upper ball joint issues that don't exist on the 09's, axle issues that don't exist on 09's, and now electronic Power Steering issues that don't exist on 09's. I'm sure the 09 has plenty of issues of its own as does every truck, but overall the 09 has been a solid rig for me.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@2k9ram

Just thinking out loud, but If you're still looking for more height, you could always try a Zone body lift. They have 1.5" & 3.0". I think the Bils at 1.4 and 1.5 body lift with some 295/65r20s would look bad ass.

Nitto now makes a 35x11.50 tire. I like that option because less chance of rubbing.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@2k9ram

Just thinking out loud, but If you're still looking for more height, you could always try a Zone body lift. They have 1.5" & 3.0". I think the Bils at 1.4 and 1.5 body lift with some 295/65r20s would look bad ass.

Nitto now makes a 35x11.50 tire. I like that option because less chance of rubbing.

I've havent thought seriously about it. I have seen a few pics in the forum's with a body lift installed, and thought they looked pretty decent.

I kind of screwed myself when I had to replace my tires a few months ago. I went the 275 65 20 route, and now I am kind of disappointed. I wonder if I should have went the 295 60 20 route. I think the wider tire would have had a better look. So now I'm stuck until it's time to replace tires again.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've havent thought seriously about it. I have seen a few pics in the forum's with a body lift installed, and thought they looked pretty decent.

I kind of screwed myself when I had to replace my tires a few months ago. I went the 275 65 20 route, and now I am kind of disappointed. I wonder if I should have went the 295 60 20 route. I think the wider tire would have had a better look. So now I'm stuck until it's time to replace tires again.

I think you'd like the 295/60R20's, that's what I went with and everyone seems to think it looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you'd like the 295/60R20's, that's what I went with and everyone seems to think it looks great.

Damn you! :) It does look good! Much better than my 275 65 20's. By chance do you know if your stock wheel is 8" or 9" wide? It seems to me like I might have had problems with rubbing since mine were 9" had I went with the 295 60 20's.

Do you have any rubbing?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Damn you! :) It does look good! Much better than my 275 65 20's. By chance do you know if your stock wheel is 8" or 9" wide? It seems to me like I might have had problems with rubbing since mine were 9" had I went with the 295 60 20's.

Do you have any rubbing?

I'm pretty sure chrome clads are also 9" wide.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm pretty sure chrome clads are also 9" wide.

Pretty sure you are right. I just wasn't positive if yours were chrome clads or not.

Do you have any rubbing?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well New Lower Control Arms and dropping it to 1.4 and all is good. Now there is a small part of me wondering if my sounds at 2.1 would have went away with the new lower control arms. Oh well it sets level now, I guess 1.4 it is...

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Well New Lower Control Arms and dropping it to 1.4 and all is good. Now there is a small part of me wondering if my sounds at 2.1 would have went away with the new lower control arms. Oh well it sets level now, I guess 1.4 it is...

Unless you look at it everyday and think, what if....

Then go 2.1" in front with a 3/4" spacer in the rear....

Then you look at your truck and want bigger tires before your current set is done :roflsquared:

Coming from the Jeep world, you learn that you are never "done" modding your vehicles. Even when you think you have it perfect... there is always something else to get done.