Leveling Kit Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I have a 2016 Laramie 4x4 Ecodiesel. Thinking about adding a leveling kit. Before I do, is there anything I need to know before adding it? Are they hard to add? Never done one. Doesn't look hard to do. How do they effect the ride? Will it need to be realigned after? I don't know these things. My last Ram 4x4 had torsion bars in front so this is all new to me

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're super easy to add. Most don't recommend going over 2" on a leveling kit because you can cause vibrations when in 4wd. At least that's how the 3rd gen Rams are. As long as you don't have air ride, you should be good. I have't seen any leveling kits for air ride suspensions yet.

You can go with a spacer, which is the cheapest route, and I recommend Hellbent Steel. They've got great reviews, and they're made in the USA. With a little knowledge, some hand tools and a torque wrench, you could install the kit on your truck in 2 to 3 hours. A shop will probably charge a few hundred to install a kit, but make sure you get an alignment afterwards.

Shouldn't affect ride much, other than the new ride height.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Nice! Thank you for the reply

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Don't use spacers, they cause the ball joints to pop out of the uca, you will want to use bilstein 5100 adjustables(there are many threads about this with a wealth of knowledge) If you have the 4 corner air suspension that is a completely different beast

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
No air suspension

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bils will be the most recommended but there are plenty on here who have used spacers with no issue.

Good luck!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't had any issues with my top gun custom spacers. Ran them on my 2012 and have them on my 14 now. I know the ball joints changed in 2013 and there have been a few cases of them popping out, but it's not like abs epidemic or something lol . I haven't had any issues. I might do some bils eventually but my spacers are working just fine until then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature. It will tell you everything you need to know.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of course this would happen after I posted no issues lmao. Oh well gave me an excuse to order my Zone Auto UCAs 56fc736084f0a4e9c9648ad606ace415.jpg62eda4ec1bcc42b025fb7140cb1600ec.jpg

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spacers are junk, Do it properly and buy ranchos or bills

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Spacers are junk, Do it properly and buy ranchos or bills

Bils still set your overall suspension geometry off as well, which is what causes the failure of the upper ball joints. There are people that have had the same issues with bilsteins as spacers for the upper ball joint pop. What makes the spacers junk? Just curious why they aren't right. I like mine and I'm sure others running them would agree they aren't "junk" . My truck still rides and handles just fine on and off the pavement with them installed . Just my opinion.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Bils still set your overall suspension geometry off as well, which is what causes the failure of the upper ball joints. There are people that have had the same issues with bilsteins as spacers for the upper ball joint pop. What makes the spacers junk? Just curious why they aren't right. I like mine and I'm sure others running them would agree they aren't "junk" . My truck still rides and handles just fine on and off the pavement with them installed . Just my opinion.

spacers are not junk, he is just spewing his opinion. I had spacers on my 2011 with no issue, and know of others with spacers with no problems.

FWIW, i now have bilsteins on my 2016 truck and it doesn't seem any different than when i had the hell bent steel spacers on the 2011.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Myself and plenty of other people on this very forum had ball joint failures over those ****** spacers. Its funny how people get all defensive when they own something that has crappy reviews. I know I regret buying them, it was a waste of money. Should've done it properly from the get go.

I have yet to read anyone with the Ranchos having ball joint pops. and I havent had any issues yet myself. The few people with bills that had ball joint failures had the bills set to 2.8 if I remember correctly. But I also upgraded my UCA's when I installed my Ranchos after doing some research on this forum just to be on the safe side of things.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Coming in a thread and saying spacers are crap is not a review. Ball joint popping has mainly occurred on 2013 and up rams due to the uca being not as robust as the older models. Many many members have been running spacers with no problems.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Myself and plenty of other people on this very forum had ball joint failures over those ****** spacers. Its funny how people get all defensive when they own something that has crappy reviews. I know I regret buying them, it was a waste of money. Should've done it properly from the get go.

I have yet to read anyone with the Ranchos having ball joint pops. and I havent had any issues yet myself. The few people with bills that had ball joint failures had the bills set to 2.8 if I remember correctly. But I also upgraded my UCA's when I installed my Ranchos after doing some research on this forum just to be on the safe side of things.

Not defensive. Was jut asking the question. I had them on 2012 with no issues. Had I upgraded my UCAs (as I am doing now) and you did , when I put the spacers on my 14 I wouldn't have an issue right now . Make sense? That's why I asked why they are so terrible or junk, just because they aren't shocks? Just trying to get the logic on why these aren't the "right way" to do a level. I'm always trying to learn new things . To each his own and no need for a forum ******* contest just giving the OP what he asked for, an opinion. At the end of the day that's all we can do.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted

That's not correct, the geometry is not the same. Installing a spacer on top of an OEM strut allows the suspension to overextend which is where the ball joint pops out. Not at ride height. Bilstein's keep the suspension travel within OEM specs and therefore do not allow it to overextend. If they're installed correctly they shouldn't give any issues with the ball joints popping out.

You can read up on more about this and see a picture in the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature.

spacers are not junk, he is just spewing his opinion. I had spacers on my 2011 with no issue, and know of others with spacers with no problems.

FWIW, i now have bilsteins on my 2016 truck and it doesn't seem any different than when i had the hell bent steel spacers on the 2011.

There is a difference between a 2009-2012 and 2013+ truck though. Spacers weren't as big of a deal on a early 4th gen as they used different UCA's from the factory back then. There weren't issues with the ball joints popping out with them. In 2013 they changed how they build the OEM UCA's and that's where issues with the upper ball joints popping out came into play when the suspension overextends (ie, with spacers).
So yes, for a 2013+ truck I would also agree that spacers for leveling are junk as they often lead to more issues. You're better off spending the money up front and getting Bilsteins as it's cheaper in the long run. Not to mention the better ride quality that Bilsteins provide over OEM struts.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
That's not correct, the geometry is not the same. Installing a spacer on top of an OEM strut allows the suspension to overextend which is where the ball joint pops out. Not at right height. Bilstein's keep the suspension travel within OEM specs and therefore do not allow it to overextend. If they're installed correctly they shouldn't give any issues with the ball joints popping out.

You can read up on more about this and see a picture in the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature.

There is a difference between a 2009-2012 and 2013+ truck though. Spacers weren't as big of a deal on a early 4th gen as they used different UCA's from the factory back then. There weren't issues with the ball joints popping out with them. In 2013 they changed how they build the OEM UCA's and that's where issues with the upper ball joints popping out came into play when the suspension overextends (ie, with spacers).
So yes, for a 2013+ truck I would also agree that spacers for leveling are junk as they often lead to more issues. You're better off spending the money up front and getting Bilsteins as it's cheaper in the long run. Not to mention the better ride quality that Bilsteins provide over OEM struts.
I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying because I kinda said the same in my other post about 13 and up uca's on rams. The fact that the factory made the uca's less robust and they are failing doesn't make a spacer junk. It means the uca's are junk and the spacer is not the wisest form of leveling.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Quietpeen hit the nail on the head. To the OP hopefully you were able get a general idea of which route you would like to take. Either way you go I would recommend doing the UCA upgrade. To all that commented, that's what this forum is for and I thank Brandonjansen for giving some legit feedback and reasoning for his choice of not using spacers [emoji106].