Leveling kit, shocks and tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otr33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7L
I'd like to put 35" tires on my 2016 2500. I'm also thinking of leveling the front end and upgrading the shocks.

Would love to hear recommendations for leveling kit and shock combination from people with more experience than I have. I have have rear auto leveling airbags and I'm not sure how they might limit my options.

Thanks for the help,

Beth

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 88

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bilsteins and a ready level spacer.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
That is a 2500. Bielstein 5100 adjustable shocks won't work

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That is a 2500. Bielstein 5100 adjustable shocks won't work

That's why he said a spacer after the bilsteins. I believe he was just suggesting bilsteins cause the op asked about a better riding shock and leveling kit.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hi, Beth. Welcome to the forum.

You can run a 35" tire on the stock suspension but you need to upgrade the wheels to a 9" wide wheel with a medium offset, i.e., +12mm to +18mm. I run a 35x12.50 on an 18x9 wheel with a +18mm offset.

I have a 2014 2500 CC with the rear self leveling system and used a Tuff Country 2" level kit on the front with no issues whatsover. The rear air system still works as advertised.

I did not change shocks but did use the level kit that comes with the shock relocation bracket. This helps keep the shock in the right place and it keeps it from being extended too far beyond it's standard length of travel.

A +12 to + 18 offset wheel with a 35x12.50 tire will be wider than what you have (or had). I have Bushwacker flares and I will probably end up putting on some modified universal fit mud flaps as I still get a bit of material thrown up on the body where the flare follows the body line as it tucks back in under the truck near the rocker panel.

To give you an idea of what all that looks like, here's a pic of my truck:

052516%2001_zpssq4mzfgz.jpg

Last edited:

BigBlueRam09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8

You can run a 35" tire on the stock suspension but you need to upgrade the wheels to a 9" wide wheel with a medium offset, i.e., +12mm to +18mm. I run a 35x12.50 on an 18x9 wheel with a +18mm offset.

I have a 2014 2500 CC with the rear self leveling system and used a Tuff Country 2" level kit on the front with no issues whatsover. The rear air system still works as advertised.

I did not change shocks but did use the level kit that comes with the shock relocation bracket. This helps keep the shock in the right place and it keeps it from being extended too far beyond it's standard length of travel.

A +12 to + 18 offset wheel with a 35x12.50 tire will be wider than what you have (or had). I have Bushwacker flares and I will probably end up putting on some modified universal fit mud flaps as I still get a bit of material thrown up on the body where the flare follows the body line as it tucks back in under the truck near the rocker panel.

That's a pretty truck. Love the front end look.

Sent from somewhere far, far away.

OP
OP
otr33

otr33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7L

Thanks for the advice and you've got a great looking truck. I've already put the Bushwaker flares on my truck and I'm looking to add some universal mud flaps for the same reasons you stated.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
What you go with will really come down to how much you want to spend. One of the better setups you could go with would be Thuren progressive rate leveling springs, longer shocks (Bilstein 5100's, Fox 2.0's etc) and an adjustable track bar to recenter the front diff and avoid death wobble issues.
If you wanted to stay on the cheaper end of things then spacers and shock extenders are an option to look at. At the end of the day you get what you pay for and that will be noticed in the overall ride quality.