Leveling kit tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I've read and watched videos and such but any other tips for installing a leveling kit? I ended up going for a 2.5" spacer kit and then I have the Mevotech UCAs. Anything I need to be aware of for installing the UCAs? It all seems pretty straight forward but figured I'd take any tips/tricks/wisdom I could get since I'm not super mechanically inclined. Gonna attempt it this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The UCA'S are pretty straight fwd & should come apart pretty easy on a 17 model .

Tips :
1) take them out of the box individually and identify them as R/H & L/H as they are difficult to tell apart and they are not identified with the p/n .

2) clean them really good with some lacquer thinner or acetone and paint them , couple Coates of VHT CHASSIS paint should be fine as they rust very quickly if not painted .

3) during the removal of your OEM UCA'S loosen the Balljoint nut to the end of the threads only then tap straight up with a small to medium hammer on the nut to release the tapered ball joint stud.

If this doesn't work heat the portion the tapered ball joint stud goes through with a heat gun or hand held propane torch

( only hot enough to not be able to leave the palm of your hand on )

Now take a piece of 2X4 on the piece you heated and give it a good smack with hammer preferably a dead blow hammer .
Mine a 2014 with about 20k fell apart with a couple light taps straight up on the NUT while still on the stud .

4) careful not to damage your OEM ucas , keep them as a back up .... 2.5" spacers will test any Balljoint if you 4 wheel often and very rough .
If you don't like the rough ride from the spacer kit I highly recommend getting some Bilsteins 5100s for a better than factory ride . I installed my bils @ + 2.8 ' and love em ! Besides after installing the spacers you'll be more familiar with how everything comes apart .

5) when installing the mevotecs put a small amount of anti-sieize on the tapered stud shank and on the bolt shanks on the two upper attachments ...carefully not to get anti-sieize compound on the elastomeric bearings up top , only a very light coating is necessary .

I can't remember the torques , but I believe the upper bolts were 75 ft lbs and the ball joint nut was 50 - 60 ft lbs ? Maybe someone will chime in with the proper tqs

Also take several pictures with the tire removed prior to disassembly paying close attention to bolt directions , the amount of exposed threads beyond all nuts and general orientation of all components. I also recommend doing one side at a time , nice to have a blueprint on the other side.
This may help if your not familiar with this type of work.

I grease mine with the red typical axle grease each time I change my oil , be sure to gease after the initial install as well .
The axle grease and VHT CHASSIS paint are available at Advanced Auto .
My Mevos didn't come with grease fittings , Advance has them as well .

Hope this helps !

GO HOGS !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome info and tips. Thanks. I'll work on getting the Mevos prepped and ready this week.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a perhaps stupid question but I got everything else. What size grease fitting do I need? There may not even be sizes for all I know.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is a perhaps stupid question but I got everything else. What size grease fitting do I need? There may not even be sizes for all I know.

To my knowledge the nipples are standard sized for the typical grease gun fittings , the threaded end of the grease fittings are different sizes and in both standard and Metric ....
It's been a while since I installed my Mevos but I believe they were Metric. Pretty sure I used an 8mm wrench to install mine , a 5/16 " wrench should work as well .

1de4ae6c2cdfde357714538b62d0faee.jpg

Yep 8mm wrench , this is the passenger's side .
49e51d7f70dd875c3fdbe3865a36cee8.jpg

If you haven't installed the UCA'S yet , I'd just carry one in to your local auto parts store and test fit by fingers .

The grease fittings are slightly tapered and will not go down far by hand , even fully installed it's not uncommon for them to be raised a bit / not fully flush with the uca . Don't over tighten because they break off very easy , just snug em down a bit .

Hope this helps !

GO Hogs !

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome. I'll just carry one with me tomorrow and see what I need. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the 21mm deep well socket today and the fittings. Hopefully I've got all I need!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes please take many pictures during the removal of OEM Equipment and the install of the level kit & Mevos . If you have the means & the time .

This may help others in the future

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I feel bad but I didn't take any pics. I got nervous and just tried to work through and get it done. It went on pretty smoothly really. The passenger ball joint was pretty stubborn and getting the lower bolt in the shocks took a little persuasion but all in all went well. Drives great, no pull and rides about the same. Maybe a tad stiffer. All in all happy with it. Thanks again for all the info. It was very helpful.

944d4d9c83c15dc4b604da4afcc24148.jpg

ead28b581cc791304a01ced5fef58a2f.jpg